Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Stelvio Questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-22, 05:41 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts

So I bought this Bianchi Stelvio. A few questions.

1. I don't see any online photos of one with chrome lugs...unless someone polished these. If so they did a good job. Did it come with chrome lugs?
2. What Campy copy crankset is this? It has no markings at all. Forgery?
3. Do these Mavic rims run 700c tires? I can't get Gatorskins on there and I dont have any 27" tires to try.

Thank you.

Old 04-03-22, 08:32 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1508 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,133 Posts
According to VeloBase.com that rim came in 3 different sizes, 650a, 700c, and 27"

Hopefully @Bianchigirll or another one of our resident Bianchi experts will be along soon to answer your questions.
Brent
Old 04-04-22, 05:24 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
The subject bicycle does look like a 1985 Stelvio with the exception of the lugs, fork crown and a derailleur set upgrade to 600 Ultegra, along with the usual rider preference change to saddle and pedals. As noted, the crankset matches the OEM spec Ofmega Brilliante. These were Bianchi branded with a silk/tampo lettering that easily wears off.

It should be fairly easy to confirm the model. The serial number should tell us the year and the seat post diameter should tell us if it's a match for the spec tubeset.
Old 04-04-22, 03:42 PM
Jicafold

Thank you.
The serial number is S7574E5
Seat post size is 27.2
Old 04-05-22, 11:29 AM
T-Mar

It's definitely a 1985 model, though the post size is one size larger than I was expecting. However, that could be due to over zealous reaming of the seat tube. Does it have five helical ridges inside the bottom of the fork's steeering column (see attached photo)?

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 04-10-22, 07:07 PM
Jicafold

No T-Mar. It doesn't have those ridges in the fork.

Old 04-11-22, 06:09 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Jicafold
No T-Mar. It doesn't have those ridges in the fork.

OK, that's even more evidence in favour of a Stelvio. During this period, the only Columbus tubesets that didn't utilize the steering column with the helical ridges were Aelle R, Aelle and Zeta. Bianchi didn't offer any Aelle or Zeta models in 1985, at least not in the USA market. The only other possibility would be the Allloro, which used Columbus in the main tubes but with a Falck fork.

The Alloro was a couple of steps up the hiearchy, so it doesn't make sense for the previous owner to purposely downgrade the model. Also, the inside of the steering column shows red paint, with the underside of the crown showing paint remnants in the crevices. To me, this suggests that red was the factory colour and that it has been selectively removed. The Stelvio was offered in red, while the Alloro was not.
Old 03-09-24, 09:16 AM
Servantofchrist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why polished lugs on a bianchi?

Youve found 1 of the 48 frames i have completed. Iam the guy who did it. Because if you were alive at that time it was a special option you could have had done for 83 dollars. Now times have changed. I've High polished lugs from a colnago to a Panasonic. Even done some engraving also. It's not hard. There's 3 ways to engrave and 4 ways to high polish. About 8 years ago I prayed to Jesus christ to reveal to me one of these best ways I can make a bike better. I saw myself doing it in a dream. So I started doing it ever since. It kinda breaks my heart it did not remain with the full campy (victory) ,campy wheelset (it was already on the bike) and did not have any tires( it was in complete running order when I sold it for 250$) Yes 250. I'll never sell a bike for over 500 bucks. That's ridiculous. But I have sold 3 carbon bikes each 450. Carbon c40 2009 colnago, carbon eddy merckx, orbea orca. I last released a serotta colorado 2, 2010 raleigh record ace with polished lugs and I'm working on another bianchi. The best work was done on a wilier triestina I let go for 250 and a white 80s bianchi that had red lettering with formula tubing. Chico from san antonio. God bless.
Old 03-09-24, 09:23 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Originally Posted by Servantofchrist
Youve found 1 of the 48 frames i have completed. Iam the guy who did it. Because if you were alive at that time it was a special option you could have had done for 83 dollars. Now times have changed. I've High polished lugs from a colnago to a Panasonic. Even done some engraving also. It's not hard. There's 3 ways to engrave and 4 ways to high polish. About 8 years ago I prayed to Jesus christ to reveal to me one of these best ways I can make a bike better. I saw myself doing it in a dream. So I started doing it ever since. It kinda breaks my heart it did not remain with the full campy (victory) ,campy wheelset (it was already on the bike) and did not have any tires( it was in complete running order when I sold it for 250$) Yes 250. I'll never sell a bike for over 500 bucks. That's ridiculous. But I have sold 3 carbon bikes each 450. Carbon c40 2009 colnago, carbon eddy merckx, orbea orca. I last released a serotta colorado 2, 2010 raleigh record ace with polished lugs and I'm working on another bianchi. The best work was done on a wilier triestina I let go for 250 and a white 80s bianchi that had red lettering with formula tubing. Chico from san antonio. God bless.
Depending on one's point of view you could say the frame/fork was ruined by this. What kind of finish did you apply to the scratched up metal? Unless it wore off over time it doesn't look like your speial treatment did the cartouche on the fork much good

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-09-24, 09:43 AM
Servantofchrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why polished lugs on a bianchi?

Old 03-09-24, 10:00 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 663 Posts
I usually use Google, YouTube or bike forums to reveal ways to make my bike better.

I’m happy your system worked well for you.

after removing the paint, what are you using to stop rust and corrosion on the bare metal?

PS: thank you Bianchi Girl for the word of the day; cartouche.

had to look that up.
Old 03-09-24, 01:29 PM
Servantofchrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why would anyone polish lugs in the first place?

You really haven't seen a bianchi with polished lugs before? They are pretty common. I've been riding since 2010 and seen many. Not only on bianchi even on old windsor professionals. The list goes on. Theres 4 ways you can do it. You can heat the paint off, sandblast it, electrofry it or use paint stripper. Once the paint is off you have the choice of giving a refinish or run with it before you high polish. The best finish I've accomplished was on a wilier triestina. I was able to chrome plate that. I'm honesty suprised by all the times I've gone up on threads for years and barely little mention of polishing or engraving. Not many people can do this. But it does make a frame pop. Never had one complaint. I don't just ride the bikes. I take the frame and for apart weigh ( no b.b/ headset/ seatpin) them. Set them fixed gear and 12 speed road bike. Classify both weights and give a ride review on both. Classified over 110 bikes since 2013. Polished over 50. Repaired about 20 bikes. Bike literature is pretty hard to come by. Especially when on a specific fix or recommendation. Hopefully in the future I can put my findings online to help other cyclists.
Old 03-09-24, 01:33 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 03-09-24, 02:41 PM
Robvolz 

Originally Posted by Servantofchrist
You really haven't seen a bianchi with polished lugs before? They are pretty common. I've been riding since 2010 and seen many. Not only on bianchi even on old windsor professionals. The list goes on. Theres 4 ways you can do it. You can heat the paint off, sandblast it, electrofry it or use paint stripper. Once the paint is off you have the choice of giving a refinish or run with it before you high polish. The best finish I've accomplished was on a wilier triestina. I was able to chrome plate that. I'm honesty suprised by all the times I've gone up on threads for years and barely little mention of polishing or engraving. Not many people can do this. But it does make a frame pop. Never had one complaint. I don't just ride the bikes. I take the frame and for apart weigh ( no b.b/ headset/ seatpin) them. Set them fixed gear and 12 speed road bike. Classify both weights and give a ride review on both. Classified over 110 bikes since 2013. Polished over 50. Repaired about 20 bikes. Bike literature is pretty hard to come by. Especially when on a specific fix or recommendation. Hopefully in the future I can put my findings online to help other cyclists.
all those words are great, but you’ve now been asked a couple times what you do to protect the bare metal after it has been polished
Old 03-09-24, 03:36 PM
Servantofchrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Now been asked a few times..."

Mink oil on this one. But it's applied after cleaning. Also before and after polish. Clear coated most. Although it doesn't look as clean. The best would be to chrome plate them but it's costly.
Old 03-09-24, 06:27 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
You were polishing lugs back in the '80's, but just started riding in 2010?
Old 03-09-24, 06:56 PM
Servantofchrist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now in the 80s

Originally Posted by VtwinVince
You were polishing lugs back in the '80's, but just started riding in 2010?
you could have gotten the high polished lugs as a backhouse option from many companies. This is widely known in the u.k and Belgium. If you got your frame outsourced from 2nd or 3rd party distributors it changes if they offered it or not (time of build). I know a few older guys who still have their technotrat builds with the same option I speak of. I'm in my 30s. But it doesn't mean I'm out here high polishing lugs on a u08 that's worth 70 dollars. This is not rocket science. . It takes some focus and patience but you will be seriously suprised that even machine shops offer this and it's not hard to an eager mind.
Old 03-09-24, 07:00 PM
Robvolz 

I read somewhere that on Raleighs, you should only use blue mink oil