Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire treads

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-24, 10:56 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Tire treads

I was searching and found these cool designs. What do you think?

Panaracer CrossTown Sport
Vredestein Dynamic Tour
Kenda Khan II K-1172
Schwalbe Green Marathon HS620
Specialized Hemisphere
Old 03-10-24, 11:05 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 968 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
I just highlighted and copied the list into my browser and viewed the images. Very nice looking tire designs.

And more then that its nice to know they are still making new tires. Often I wonder how long the tires I buy have been cooking in some storage container waiting for a chump like me to buy them...
Old 03-10-24, 12:22 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
I like the tread on the Schwalbe Pickup.
Old 03-10-24, 03:28 PM
MattoftheRocks

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
If I were picking tires based at all on visual appeal to try to solicit style compliments from non-bicyclists and bicyclists:

• Schwalbe Fat Franks at the top

• Grand Bois Hetre

• any of Continental’s three with “Urban” in the name make the list, but the frameset’s logo’ing or frame tube bends ought to match the kinda Tron-like styling

• Ultradynamico any model, very Juvenile Delinquent With Rich Parents looking

• Rene Herse any model

• Conti Speed King for some pavement slickness but a touch of juvenile hooligan knobs on the side

• Schwalbe Billy Bonkers for that (huge not-facebook new facebook site) r/xbiking cred

I hope it doesn’t come off as mean, but the tires in the OP all just look to me like regular Hybrid Bike, Touring Bike, and Street BMX tire treads of the last thirty years. If they make you look wistfully upon your machine, great. Be happy. Life is short and you don’t know when your ticket is up.

FWIW, I’m probably too much of a bike dork for my opinion to matter: 99% of my riding is on pavement and >70% is going from one place to another with the side quest of getting high avg. speeds and tread is counterproductive to that and I just ride slicks, usually GP5K’s, but keep experimenting when deals come to me.

Last edited by MattoftheRocks; 03-10-24 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-10-24, 05:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4358 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
For me it is generally more about size and compounds than specific looks of the tread at least for hybrid/road tires gravel and mountain bike tires are different. Generally I am also looking for folding bead tires save a little weight.

What sort of qualities are you looking for in a tire?
Old 03-10-24, 06:02 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
if you are going to start a thread like this, take the time to get pictures of tires and tread and include in the the post otherwise how can anyone comment

all i can say is rubber/tread side down on road good, not on road bad

Old 03-10-24, 07:08 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by squirtdad
if you are going to start a thread like this, take the time to get pictures of tires and tread and include in the the post otherwise how can anyone comment

all i can say is rubber/tread side down on road good, not on road bad
Yeah, but I can't remember whether this site has issues with copyrighted photos.
Old 03-10-24, 08:54 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by MattoftheRocks
• Conti Speed King for some pavement slickness but a touch of juvenile hooligan knobs on the side
It appears that the Speed King is discontinued, so pretty much whatever is left in shops right now is about it. I’m probably better off with the Race Kings I’m now running front and rear for our local trails, so it’s no problem.

Otto
Old 03-11-24, 02:04 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
My favorites are some old continentals that had triangles on the tread. Came in 26x2.2 or 2.3 and when you were riding your tire just had triangle shapes going everywhere. Similar to a race king, but taller blocks and more spread out. Annoying that I can't find the name, but it's been a decade. Came stock on my 2011 rocky mountain altitude 30.
For road..... I don't know, the smooth ones.
For hybrid I like michelin proteks. The chevron pattern is cool.
Old 03-11-24, 08:23 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
Problem with all those is they have tread. I'd prefer slicks.
Likes For smd4:
Old 03-11-24, 10:27 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,493 Times in 4,189 Posts

Panaracer CrossTown Sport
Vredestein Dynamic Tour
Kenda Khan II K-1172
Schwalbe Green Marathon HS620
Specialized Hemisphere
What do we think about what?
Saying 'what do you think' without any context or detail is absurd.

This thread is starting out even worse than normal for your threads.
Old 03-11-24, 01:49 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What do we think about what?
Saying 'what do you think' without any context or detail is absurd.
This thread is starting out even worse than normal for your threads.
I think there's a possibility that the people who quote you to insult you are the ones with cognitive distortions.

In my opinion it can be obvious to other people that everyone has their own perception of reality and also use different kind of bikes in different situations. So, this is applicable to those who find it useful.
Old 03-11-24, 01:55 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
I think there's a possibility that the people who quote you to insult you are the ones with cognitive distortions.

In my opinion it can be obvious to other people that everyone has their own perception of reality and also use different kind of bikes in different situations. So, this is applicable to those who find it useful.
Just listing name of treads/tires is not at all useful or a proper way start a conversation. You seem to expect people to go look details up, which your can't be bothered to provide

Old 03-11-24, 06:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

I think your words above are faux intellectualism at its best.
Your threads are infamous for being conflicting, asking for info you have no actual intent on using(your many frame design and bike company creation threads for example), and wanting opinions on bikes you won't actually buy or even learn about.

Let's start over, mkay? What do you actually want to discuss in this thread?
You claim the tires have pretty cool designs, but the Panaracer and Schwalbe have tread designs that look like any number of other tires that are marketed for mixed use, commuting, and urban riding.
I see nothing that is 'cool' about them...nor do I see anything uncool. They don't stand out in any way, actually.
So why don't you explain why they are cool designs, and a useful conversation can then take place.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-12-24, 10:53 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Just because you disagree with some other people's opinions, it doesn't justify thread-crapping like this. If you don't understand my point of view, you don't need to comment.
Old 03-12-24, 11:57 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Just because you disagree with some other people's opinions, it doesn't justify thread-crapping like this. If you don't understand my point of view, you don't need to comment.
I suggested we start over. You said the tires have pretty cool tread designs and I asked you to explain why they are cool designs so an on topic conversation could take place.
...do you now not want an on topic conversation to take place?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-12-24, 04:33 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
I think you mistake mstatglfr's comments as a one off..they're not.

If you're asking(continue to ask), "..what do you think?", I don't think it's unreasonable to ask, "what do we think about what?"

Why do you think the indicated tires are unusual from a sea of other tires? As far as I can tell..visually..they are unremarkable.

"What do you think?"
Likes For fishboat:
Old 03-15-24, 09:21 AM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
I think I’d never buy a tire base on its appearance. I may buy a set of gum walls for a vintage bike, but tire performance will come before outward appearance.

I’m not betting my ability to stay upright on my tires having a cool design.