Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help me Pick A Hybrid

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Help me Pick A Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-06, 03:04 PM
b-dizzle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good choice. The Sirrus looks like a pretty nice bike, though it's more of a flatbar road bike than a hybrid. That may be what you wanted all along anyway. I agree with Eggplant Jeff, ride it for a little while and then tweak things if you want. You also might be able to find better deals and selection online than at your LBS, if you're comfortable with installing it.
@chozonman- I'm a Zebrano user, too. I've had it for a couple weeks now, and I'm lovin it.
Old 08-12-06, 03:52 PM
Sirrus05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It feels as though I went through the same decision process last year. I ended up with an 05 Sirrus Sport.

Thought I'd share my experience to help you to make things easier.

The things that I was looking for in a bike has changed pretty dramatically over the course of the year. At first, I was looking for a good compromise and a road-like bike with flat bars seem to fit the bill. I wanted something road worthy with the flexiblity and manuverability for the city roads. The Sirrus was perfect especially after throwing in the rack, saddle bag, lights, etc. At first, I also through the ride was a bit harsh with the 700x28s pumped up to 125 psi but I totally got over thatin a matter of days.

Over the course of the year - my riding has changed from commuting to longer rides out in the burbs. The biggest complaint is the flat bar since you will only have one hand position. Just this weekend, I've thrown on a set of ancient Scott bars and I can't wait to go for my next ride. As for seating comfort and upright position, it's no longer a part of the equation - I just want to get as low as I can go to minimize drag. Racks and light are also gone and now the bike is weighing in at about 23-24 pounds. Looking back, I wish I knew more about road bikes and I should have picked up an Allez instead.

Try to envision the type of riding that you'll be doing most and don't be afraid to test out a road bike.

If you do end up with the Sirrus, enjoy the ride - it's a fantastic and very versatile bike.
Old 08-12-06, 04:18 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Cannondale Road Warrior 500, it's my old commuter.

Now that I have other bikes the C'dale doesn't get ridden nearly as often, but when it was my only bike it was seeing close to 100 miles a week or better, very nearly every week, year round. The biggest regret I ever had with this bike was it didn't have drop bars. True, I could have added drop bars, but it's a lot more expensive to switch from flat bars to drops than from drops to flats and at the time I felt I didn't have the money.

Still don't. Especially now that I have a road bike, but the Road Warrior 500 is a good, solid bike for road riding and commuting.
Old 08-15-06, 10:46 PM
Sixtwo

Bikes: 2005 Giant FCR1, 2006 OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my $600 Giant FCR3, another flat-bar fitness road bike...came with Michelin Dynamic 700x28tires...switched to 25s, added a carbon seat post, handlebar, and chunky bar ends, and am quite happy with it...the sucker MOVES!
Old 08-15-06, 10:54 PM
maxrep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for all the feedback guys. i feel i would have gotten the Trek 7.5 if i could have but this should do. it was very comfortable though someone saying that its a road bike with flat bar freaks me out a little.

thats like taking one of the good things a road bike has and replacing it with something not as versatile.

I did notice it was more road while the trek 7.5 seemed a bit more mountain.

The Cannondale Bad Boy was not one I tested but from what I see its out of my range anyway at $1299 or maybe there are lower models?

Well I hope I made the right choice... i get really caught up when trying to make a decision on things like this so hopefully no buyers remorse when it comes in Thursday!!!
Old 08-17-06, 06:09 PM
reidsworks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me too

I just started looking at the plethora of bikes available. Living in the country in a private lake community, I am looking at the hybrids. LBS not real friendly or helpful in deciding on type of bike. I really like the Trek 7500 and almost went with the 7.5 FX until I called LBS a few towns away. Found out the 7500 has lockable forks to do away with power loss on hill climbs etc. Nice feature if you ask me. I was mostly concerned with dropping off road edges in the country and on narrow lanes inside the Lake. Really sucks on a road bike with hard narrow tires. Rather save my rims.
Anyway, I noticed on the posts noone mentioned the adjustable lockable forks on the 7500. I found one and hope to pick it up this weekend. By the way compared to Specialized and other flat bar bikes. The Trek had most bang for the buck.

Reidsworks
Old 08-17-06, 06:32 PM
mogwai

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on the new bike maxrep. I too was looking at the 7.5 FX Disc last month and was told the same thing; they were all out. I'll just wait till the 07 7.5 FX Disc comes out in October. I just hate that it won't be available in black anymore. If you haven't seen the new specs, here's a link:

https://www2.trekbikes.com/Bikes/2007_preview.html
Old 08-22-06, 04:38 PM
maxrep

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well i have been riding around the Sirrus and I have to say I think it was a great choice for me. It really can't do the offroad thing so well but it seems to be the right combination for me. I hope I dont get the urge to start tearing across fields and dirt roads though. i tried some gravel and it just isn't so great on it hehe.

Overall though im having a fun time on it. I havent biked in many years and it was just as fun as i remember!
Old 08-22-06, 05:25 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maxrep
well i have been riding around the Sirrus and I have to say I think it was a great choice for me. It really can't do the offroad thing so well but it seems to be the right combination for me. I hope I dont get the urge to start tearing across fields and dirt roads though. i tried some gravel and it just isn't so great on it hehe. Overall though im having a fun time on it. I havent biked in many years and it was just as fun as i remember!
Congratulations, maxrep! You did good with that Sirrus - I admire most products in the Specialized line - every one seems a good deal for the money and on an absolute basis as well. You should enjoy many years of durable and comfortable service from that bike - happy pedaling!