Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Last Time at LBS

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Last Time at LBS

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 01:55 PM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last Time at LBS

Except for a new bike I refuse to pay msrp or more at my LBs. Went there today for 2 vredestein fortezza tri comp tires, 2 tubes (fuji brand) and a blackburn airfix co2+ inflator. Costs, $54.99 ea., $4.99 ea. and $45.00 respectively.
I look on line and found the tires for $36.00 ea. tubes $2.25 and co2 inflator for $26.95. Even with shipping of say 10 bucks the math will show what I would have saved.

I understand the obligation of patronizing your local LBS, but never again except in an emergency.

Is offereing me a Trek Madone 5.2 2006 model for $1999.99. Once again, good but not great considering I have been seeing these (not in my size of 58cm) for $1999.99 for a 2007.

Just venting!
Old 09-15-07, 02:47 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
You know what the guys at the LBS are saying when you tell them this? They say, fine, get it online. Good luck if you need to return something. After shipping, you're right back to where you started. Happens to us with supplements all the time.
Old 09-15-07, 03:00 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Jewish joke:

Q: Why did God create goyim?

A: Somebody had to pay retail.

Which does beg the question, why would you pay full MSRP for a bicycle? if your bike shop can't throw you a bone, F' em. Find another one. I would.
Old 09-15-07, 03:09 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have just gonethrough a worrying time in that Bike shops in my area are closing down Left right and everywhere. My LBS was in trouble and they have pulled through- They will compete with online stores- Up to a point but As They said, and I found out- Some of the cheap articles online are lasts years model- Factory seconds or just rubbish. I always go to my LBS for most of my Purchases and get a good deal. If I am looking for something big- I research online- find the product I want and the price- Go back to the LBS and give them the details- They will say yes or No or- and what is more important- Have you thought of XYZ- that is just as good and cheaper- Or- Not a good product and have had problems with them (That is true from my LBS and they are Mostly right as witnessed with the FSA cranks I nearly bought last year)

It's up to you but Buy where you want- Just don't complain if the nearest shop for you to buy a tube from is Far- Far -away- Or 3 days delivery from ordering.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-15-07, 03:12 PM
Pharmr
Home, home again

Bikes: Scott S10, Ultegra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyV
You know what the guys at the LBS are saying when you tell them this? They say, fine, get it online. Good luck if you need to return something. After shipping, you're right back to where you started. Happens to us with supplements all the time.
hey, I like to support my shop as much as possible...but seriously, when was the last time you had to return tires, tubes, or CO2???...I just got my ultegra group for $500 shipped....do you think my LBS would consider that???...heck no....but I'll buy my bottles, tape, maybe a seat, some clothes on sale, and other stuff like that there.
Old 09-15-07, 03:18 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
I have an LBS that matches price on online items as long as they make something over it. I bought my CAAD9 from them, so I've given them some good business already. Normally they'll order it for me so they won't have it sitting on their floor. They Ultegra spd-sl pedals on pbk were under the price that he pays for them so he told me to snag them, and I happily obliged.

I'm ordering shoes and a trainer through them in october.
Old 09-15-07, 03:23 PM
Sixtwo

Bikes: 2005 Giant FCR1, 2006 OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of the two LBS's here in town, the least preferable one threw me a small bone last week...I bought a 2006 Giant OCR C3 on sale ($1100 instead of $1800) and upgraded the wheels/tires for another $600 and now have practically the same bike as a $3100 OCR C1...on the other hand, the "boyz" working at this particular store know next to nothing about customer service, so I head down the freeway 10 miles to a Giant dealer that CARES...
Old 09-15-07, 05:33 PM
sweetnsourbkr

Bikes: Look 585, Co-Motion Periscope 700

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had to return stuff to biketiresdirect.com, and they made the process pain free and easy. It's true that return shipping will cost, but still nothing close to retail.

Paid $80 for 2 Vreds Tri Comps.
Return shipping $5.
Still beats $110+tax at lbs.

Negotiation helps, and I've done so at my LBS and they are usually pretty mellow about it.
Old 09-15-07, 05:47 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
I try to throw as much business the way of my LBS as I can. I'll pay 10% to 20% more to buy from them as compared to what I can get online because it is very important to have the local folks around doing business. They understand that I buy my road bike tires from PBK because I get them for less than they get them.
Old 09-15-07, 06:23 PM
ekimyel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thinline I couldn't agree with you more. My LBS have the worst customer support possible so I feel zero loyalty to them. Perhaps if the customer support was better I may feel differently. I've dumped a lot of money into my LBS's, but I'm done also!
Old 09-15-07, 06:49 PM
JBS103
James

Bikes: 2005 S-Works Roubaix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The guys who own the businesses have to make a living. There is no way they can compete with these online websites who move mass product at close to the LBS's own cost. So while your pocket may feel too light for comfort, there is little these guys can do. As said, you may be able to barter, but again, its a business and they're there to make money too.
Old 09-15-07, 07:28 PM
cuski
Chunky Programmer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JBS103
The guys who own the businesses have to make a living. There is no way they can compete with these online websites who move mass product at close to the LBS's own cost. So while your pocket may feel too light for comfort, there is little these guys can do. As said, you may be able to barter, but again, its a business and they're there to make money too.
There's a difference between making a living and raping me up the arse. My LBS sells Michelin PR2s for $85 + tax each. Cost on PBK: $31. If I had a money tree in my backyard, perhaps I'd support my LBS. Until then... the dinosaurs didn't adapt. And we all know what happened to them....
Old 09-15-07, 07:31 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
My LBS gives me a flat 10-15% off everything I buy. Considering that their markup on bicycles is 30% and on accessories often 50%, they're making plenty of money on me. That's throwing me a bone - not giving away the store. Everybody wins.
Old 09-15-07, 08:09 PM
JBS103
James

Bikes: 2005 S-Works Roubaix Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuski
There's a difference between making a living and raping me up the arse. My LBS sells Michelin PR2s for $85 + tax each. Cost on PBK: $31. If I had a money tree in my backyard, perhaps I'd support my LBS. Until then... the dinosaurs didn't adapt. And we all know what happened to them....
Probikekit is really an exception to the rule. They tend to be cheaper than anywhere else depending on what item you are looking at. In turn, a lot of the stuff on there tends to be cheaper than cost for my LBS.

But anyway, I don't think 50% markup is unheard of, honestly.

I mean don't get me wrong, there is no one here that is going to force you to buy the higher priced of the two. I would go for the cheaper pair, too; obviously. But the people at the bike shop don't put the product on the wall snickering because they are screwing everyone over. Its retail and of course, a ton of overhead involved.

But really, you aren't wrong about anything. Thats the logical response. I'm just trying to give a little explanation (if you want to call it an explanation) to as to why.
Old 09-15-07, 08:11 PM
hunyak
Senior Junior Member

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I support my LBS. They take good care of me and I want them to stay in business.
Saving a few bucks isn't as important to me as the great service & information I get.
Old 09-15-07, 10:51 PM
Sage23
It is what it is

Bikes: Trek 1500 and Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThinLine
Is offereing me a Trek Madone 5.2 2006 model for $1999.99. Once again, good but not great considering I have been seeing these (not in my size of 58cm) for $1999.99 for a 2007.

Actually, that seems like a good deal. Remember that the ONLY reason you're seeing 2007 Madones for that much is because Trek is subsidizing the Dealers to clear out the remaining stock so that the new, redesigned, models are all thats available. I don't think Trek is subsidizing anything but the 07 models however, so if the LBS is willing to go that low I'd say they ARE doing you a favor. Consider:

Compare 1

Compare 2

Compare 3

If you're able to get a 5.2 for $1999.99, and you're going to complain about it not being a good enough deal for you, I guess it isn't a surprise that you're upset about spending a few extra bucks at the LBS on accessories. I am more than willing to help my LBS offset some of its overhead expenses (your LBS is probably paying at least $10 a square foot more per square foot to lease its retail space than XYZ online store is leasing its warehouse space for) in exchange for their knowledge, advice and friendship.
Old 09-15-07, 11:27 PM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That would suck to be out on a long ride in another town, get a flat and have to mail order a new tube.
Old 09-15-07, 11:48 PM
mrbubbles
?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuski
My LBS sells Michelin PR2s for $85 + tax each. Cost on PBK: $31.
That is the suggested retail price for Canadian retailers "suggested" by the distributor Cycles Lambert (which BTW is a total ripoff for most of their distributed products).
However, MEC Vancouver does sell them for $59.95CDN. I still buy it from PBK.
Old 09-16-07, 12:27 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
That would suck to be out on a long ride in another town, get a flat and have to mail order a new tube.
Or you can just buy like 5-10 tubes to have on hand and then carry them with you. I have atleast 2 spare tubes in my room at all times, and that's not counting the one I carry with me.
Old 09-16-07, 02:25 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I get a hefty discount at my LBS, as I assume many posters here do. I've found that if you go in without a war footing and are actually respectful to the folks there LBS are much more helpful and the prices drop.

If you go in with a suspicious attitude and are obnoxious about paying retail as you drive up in your 50K car of course you'll get back exactly what you give.

I strongly suspect that the folks who constantly complain about the prices at the LBS are the same people who are looking to screw others in their own business.

To the complainers; what do you give back to the cycling community that warrants you getting a hefty discount at the LBS? Or do you just have a sense of entitlement?

Last edited by Cyclist0383; 09-16-07 at 02:56 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 02:41 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
the bottom line is that if you can't wait for something than shop at a LBS and pay more for it, and if you can wait for something than shop around online and buy something you can't see from someone you don't know and pay less for it...

some people don't feel confident doing the later...

it doesn't hurt to ask if your LBS if they can hook you up though. i called them a few days ago because i was looking for a new Thomson seatpost, and the prices for Thomson's on e-bay are nothing special (at least for anything Elite, but if you want a Masterpiece than e-bay's the way to go), but they didn't have the size i needed in stock. they said they could have it the next day, and i asked them how much it would cost, and they said $70 plus tax. that's less than i could have gotten a new one for on e-bay after shipping, not to mention that i would have had to wait at least a week of so to receive it, so i asked them to order it for me. the next afternoon, they had it, and next time i'm in the neighborhood i'll buy them lunch as my way of saying thanks for hooking me up...

and when i called a different LBS in the area, they wanted $90 for the same exact seatpost, and it would have taken them a week or two to get it...

Last edited by FIVE ONE SIX; 09-16-07 at 02:57 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 02:51 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Or you can just buy like 5-10 tubes to have on hand and then carry them with you. I have atleast 2 spare tubes in my room at all times, and that's not counting the one I carry with me.
Do you carry a spare chain? Wheelset?
Thanks for missing the point completely.

For those of you that complain about LBSes, please, don't ever set foot in one. You wouldn't want to be hypocrites now, patronizing that which you disagree with so strongly.
Old 09-16-07, 03:01 AM
FIVE ONE SIX
SpIn SpIn SuGaR!

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do you carry a spare chain? Wheelset?
are you kidding me, i saw some Fred riding the other day with a bike rack mounted on his bike, with a spare bike mounted on the back of bike he was riding! hey, we all know that anything can happen...

Last edited by FIVE ONE SIX; 09-16-07 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-16-07, 03:34 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts

That is the best.

BTW...how does UPS or Fed Ex find you when you are in the wilderness?? Garmin, I guess...
Old 09-16-07, 06:42 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Interesting and informative input from everyone.

I still will NEVER buy accessories from them again. As far as knowledge and friendship goes with my LBS, I know more than they do about bikes, components, jargon and such. They don't offer much insight in that dept. I am not a know it all, but I do know a thing or two about bikes and related.
As far as friendship is concerned, I have enough friends...if they are willing to fill out an application to be my friend...they can, and I will get back to them, when there's an opening.

I do need them for repairs though...and will not break off relationship in that matter.

Most people who know bikes, will go there to buy because they are educated about the purchase.

They cater more to the people who want a trek lime or raligh passage to ride around the carport.
Besides, they are really big trek fans...trek is the best..trek has this...trek is god's gift to the world.
Granted trek is a decent bike, but not the only bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.