Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Stem compatibility with e bike displays

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-23, 11:00 AM
HBL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! Does anyone know any bike stems that are narrow so that an e bike displays can fit around it? I'm in desperate need of a shorter stem bit I sadly need around 3.3 cm in width, very few manufacturers provide stem width at the clamp and it's annoying to ask each and every single time. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could recommend me a short stem that is narrow at the same time. I'm not an expert in stems but I think mine is integrated, does anyone know how to replace one of them with a "normal" stem? I'll definitely need spacer and a stem cap.
Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-23, 11:24 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,700 Times in 2,520 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, due to anti-spam measures, you aren't able to post a picture yet. But you can upload a picture to an album in your gallery and we can rescue it for you.

What model bike do you have?
Old 11-20-23, 11:38 AM
HBL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot,
I've uploaded a picture I to my gallery. I drive a giant anytour e+1 GTS from the year 2020. The standard stem is around 13 cm or so long and I'm looking for something as short as possible. Maybe something in the 35 to 70 mm range
Old 11-20-23, 12:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

That's interesting. I thought for a second that it was built in to the stem, but I see that's not true.
Old 11-20-23, 12:25 PM
HBL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've uploaded a few more pictures, but I wasn't really sure what to photograph. I'm pretty sure I just need to loosen the two sideways screws in the stem and I can lift everything off, I however don't know what the middle bolt is for, I presume it's where the stem cap would be screwed in in a "Normal" stem
Old 11-20-23, 12:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

It looks like a fairly standard stem, and the width doesn't look particularly narrow. To get a new stem you would need to know the diameter of the handlebars at the clamp
I'll post your other pictures here in a bit.
Old 11-20-23, 01:02 PM
HBL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clamp diameter is 31.8mm, but it has to be 3.3cm or less in width or else the display won't fit around it. I was just unsure because the stem doesn't look like the other ones which have a stem cap
Old 11-20-23, 08:58 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

There are lots of different types of stems. The one on your bike is a little unusual, probably because they wanted the controller to fit. The most common type has a bolt-on faceplate with 4 screws. I don't know if the screws will interfere, and most of them on my bikes are 41-47mm. I have some 2 screw faceplate models that are narrow enough to fit.

I wonder if the best way to deal with it is to move the controller off to the side and use some kind of spacer so it will fit on the handlebars.