Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Newbie: what to do?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-06, 08:55 AM
Cyclist0112
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So here's my situation: I bought a Giant FCR4 last fall because it was cheap and great for getting around the Madison campus. I also bought it thinking it might help me get into riding. Well it did just that, now that I am working in the "real world" I'm loving biking. I'm even going to attempt a duathlon mid-July. The problem is my bike just isn't cutting it.

So after speaking with several bike stores it seems like my two options are: drop $350 or so for parts and labor to add drops, shifters and proper drivetrain equipment on my current bike or drop about $700 on an entry level road bike and perhaps sell my current bike. To upgrade my current bike is cheaper but even after the upgrade it still might not be what I need which could suck. I hesitate to buy the new bike because I had hoped to buy a little bit nicer new bike say early next year as I recover from exiting college.

The problem with my bike is that I end up sitting up so high its like biking with a parachute on and I'm a broad shouldered guy. I also dislike the straight handlebars because my hands go numb due to a lack of different hand positions.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Oh the bike I'm considering is a Trek 1000, one main reason is I can use the Trek card to spread out the payments. However any suggestions on another good starting bike are welcome.
Old 06-25-06, 09:35 AM
Sixtwo

Bikes: 2005 Giant FCR1, 2006 OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Find a cheap (used) bike with drop bars and see if it helps the hands
2) Turn your FCR4 into a -2 or -1 with better parts
3) Try adding bar ends 1st to see if they help the hands

I have a 2005 FCR3 and I'm gradually turning it into a -1 (the bike I really wanted but can't find)...
Old 06-25-06, 09:43 AM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally I think the fcr5 was your starting bike. Now that you know you want to get a road bike, you are beyond a trek 1000. If you get that bike, you'll be in the same boat in a year wanting a better bike. Maybe use the Trek card to get a better trek. At least the 1500. But Trek isn't the only way to spread out payments. Lots of bike stores have 12 mo no interest payment plans through a third party financier. Performance is one of them.
Old 06-25-06, 10:06 AM
Cyclist0112
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This area sucks for bikes

I've been doing looking for used bikes in the area and there is almost nothing. There just isn't a big roadie crowd around here. Also because of that there are very few bike stores here and they aren't all that big.
Which means they don't offer any cool finacning offers other than the Trek stuff.

I know I will be wanting a better bike in a year or so which is why this sucks. Thats why this has been so hard. If it were a first bike the 1000 or similar would be perfect. But I've already gotten into the sport and should probably buy a better bike but with only a 3 month finance plan I really can only afford a max of maybe $300 a month if I don't eat for a week each month. Well ok it isn't that bad but I don't want to be super strapped for cash.

Perhaps I will stop in to try out a few bikes today to see how they feel. When I was in yesterday I was in a hurry to beat the storm that was brewing.

I appreciate the help guys.
Old 06-25-06, 10:36 AM
slide
Riding a bitsa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a similar problem and like you, didn't find much locally which was used and my size. I ended up on eBay and found many bikes which were likely candidates. I ended up buying a bike which was of MUCH higher quality than I intended, but for a price I could stomach. A guy in FL who is a real expert racer (500 mile weeks) was thinning his herd down to 18 bikes (yikes) so he wasn't too concerned with what he got for his lower end ones he was spinning off.

To him, a lower end bike was to me a wonderful bike much above what my budget would have allowed new. So we all won. I've never had a bad ride on this bike.
Old 06-25-06, 02:07 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try the Specialized website and see if you have a dealer in your area that offers the 12 months same as cash...When you do a dealer search it will show you if they offer it. Good luck and as others have said I would recommend not going with a entry level road bike or you will be back in this same position soon.
Old 06-25-06, 02:42 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Another option is just save up for for a a few month, then you will be able to purchase a better bike. Just need to be patient. Personally it took me three month just to find a bike that I liked, and a bike shop that I liked. Take is slow test ride bunch of bikes, from different shops. Take your time, and in mean while save up.
Old 06-25-06, 03:02 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd agree - save up and go for something you'd be happy with for years to come. If you can't foot a $1500 bike, definitely browse eBay or other used sites for killer deals. I'm lucky to have a lot of nice bikes coming into the local Craigslist every day, I was able to pick up my Bianchi Veloce for $700, half off of MSRP and in beautiful, beautiful condition.
Old 06-25-06, 03:02 PM
qwalls

Bikes: 2006 Giant FCR1, 2008 Giant OCR A0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the suggestion to try bar ends as a temporary cheap fix. I have a FCR1 which comes with bar ends, and the extra hand position does help.
Old 07-03-06, 12:50 PM
Blonde Warrior

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teclis5
So here's my situation: I bought a Giant FCR4 last fall because it was cheap and great for getting around the Madison campus. I also bought it thinking it might help me get into riding. Well it did just that, now that I am working in the "real world" I'm loving biking. I'm even going to attempt a duathlon mid-July. The problem is my bike just isn't cutting it.

So after speaking with several bike stores it seems like my two options are: drop $350 or so for parts and labor to add drops, shifters and proper drivetrain equipment on my current bike or drop about $700 on an entry level road bike and perhaps sell my current bike. To upgrade my current bike is cheaper but even after the upgrade it still might not be what I need which could suck. I hesitate to buy the new bike because I had hoped to buy a little bit nicer new bike say early next year as I recover from exiting college.

The problem with my bike is that I end up sitting up so high its like biking with a parachute on and I'm a broad shouldered guy. I also dislike the straight handlebars because my hands go numb due to a lack of different hand positions.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I really appreciate the help.

Oh the bike I'm considering is a Trek 1000, one main reason is I can use the Trek card to spread out the payments. However any suggestions on another good starting bike are welcome.
I am in a similar position.

Last summer I bought a Giant FCR3 thinking that it would get me riding. Well, it did, and now I feel like I have "outgrown" this bike and want to move to a real road bike. The Giant FCR3 is a great bike, but just not in line with what my riding goals are. If it wasn't for the FCR I would be where I am right now either.

Of course I checked out the Trek 1000 because of recommendations that it is one of the best entry level road bikes out there. The guys at the lbs are, however, steering me toward the Trek 1500. For about $300 I am getting (supposedly) a much, much better bike, one that I most likely will not outgrow.
It was a hard decision in a way to dump $1000 on a bike when I just bought a new one last year, but I never thought I would take riding this far and want to get better and better. So, I ordered the 1500 this week and cannot wait to get it. One of my basic philosophies in purchasing anything is that buying the cheapest is never worth it, and neither is buying the most expensive.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

p.s. I rode my first century last weekend on my Giant FCR3, so it DOES get the job done!