Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What are your routes like?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-06, 10:58 PM
cal_gundert05
My name is Mike, not Cal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After reading this forum for a few months now, I was wondering what the terrain is like where most of the casual riders ride.

I know that a lot of the hard-core cyclists here ride killer hills, but what is a typical ride as far as hills, straightaways.

For example, back home I would ride a few miles to downtown, but there was only 1 big hill (which I usually walked half of), and then half of the remaining trip was slightly downhill, and the other half flat. So, out of 3 miles, I coasted for over 1 mile.

Anyone else have similar experiences? Do you include that distance when counting how far you rode?

And, again, what are your routes like?
Old 09-06-06, 06:56 AM
badkarma
Know Your Onion!

Bikes: Kestrel Talon, Motobecane Le Champion SL

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Work on your training so you're not walking up any hills. I'd say VERY few of us walk up hills, so I couldn't tell you if they count it towards their distance or not.

Where I live, the terrain is mostly rolling hills. It's rare to get a nice flat section for more than 1/4 mi., but there aren't any killer hills either. If you go 30 mi. to the west, you get into the Shenandoah mountains, and there are some killer climbs over there, but I've never done any of them (yet).
Old 09-06-06, 08:31 AM
here and there

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two distinct routes I like to ride. One is a stones throw from the beach/bay. It's straight, flat and windy.

The other route is a winding one that heads north then splits so I can head towards downtown or I can head east. This route that has a few short hills and some flat sections. Also has access to bigger hills that I have yet to go for.

Most of the hills around here are in the 2-7% grade range and no longer than 1/2 a mile. Nothing major, but when I first started out some of the hills looked intimidating. No matter which route I go for I have a very short 1/4 mile, 4.6% grade hill that I climb to get home. Once I crest the hill it flattens out and I pretty much coast home. I hated this hill at first, but it's not a big deal now unless I'm really tired.

Last edited by here and there; 09-06-06 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 09:27 AM
Sixtwo

Bikes: 2005 Giant FCR1, 2006 OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing but rolling golden brown hills where I live...and I'm 1200 feet up on a rural hillside overlooking Livermore's wine country so I have to coast almost a mile and a half downhill just to get to the road that will take me to my regular rides...it's a good workout no matter where I decide to ride, but that last mile and a half back home is always a killer!
Old 09-06-06, 09:35 AM
CrosseyedCrickt
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Southeast Michigan here in Detroits Metro area.
Flat flat flat. This is a glacier carved country.
My commute is about 5 miles seperated bike path and 5 miles road taking me thru neighborhood streets, a very busy parkway, and some scary as hell highway riding with no shoulder.
Old 09-06-06, 09:36 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have these interesting objects poking out of the soil to the west of denver. What are they called....... oh yeah...the rockies.
Flat terrain is hard to come by in denver. I guess you could go ride in the plains but what fun is that?
My recreational rides all involve hills. My training rides all involve hills. My commute has hills closer to my work. Most of my commute follows a small river and the terrain is fairly flat.
Old 09-06-06, 09:59 AM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flat terrain here and all urban/suburban.

Cyclists fare best when they recognize that there are times when acting vehicularly is not the best practice, and are flexible enough to do what is necessary as the situation warrants.--Me
Old 09-06-06, 01:06 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mostly flat to some small rolling hills. The only rides that have hills are those that go into Philadelphia, Manayunk section where there is the "wall." I can't ride it, and it is even hard to walk it.

Old 09-06-06, 02:21 PM
Adiankur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride the perkiomen trail which is crushed limestone, cinder, dirt and paved. I do some riding on the Thun, which is the same and will connect down the road with the schuylkill river trail. The perk has one nice climb that isnt too long, but people who are out for a leisure ride usually get off their bike and walk after about riding 20% of the way. Havent ridden into philly yet, or gotten to know the wall. Should be interesting...and evil.
Old 09-06-06, 02:56 PM
slowandsteady
Faster but still slow

Bikes: Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride the perkiomen trail which is crushed limestone, cinder, dirt and paved. I do some riding on the Thun, which is the same and will connect down the road with the schuylkill river trail. The perk has one nice climb that isnt too long, but people who are out for a leisure ride usually get off their bike and walk after about riding 20% of the way. Havent ridden into philly yet, or gotten to know the wall. Should be interesting...and evil.
I rode 50 miles on the Schuylkill river trail on Monday from Oaks to the Art Museum and back. It is pancake flat until you get to Manayunk. It is a very nice trail with the exception of any part in Philly. In Philly it is poorly marked and maintained. There is even a part that goes on a narrow sidewalk.

I used to ride it when I was little from Conshohocken to Philly and back. They have really expanded the trail since then and there are even cafes that back up to the trail geared towards cyclists.
Old 09-06-06, 05:30 PM
sswartzl

Bikes: GT Palomar, Trek 7500, Trek Navigator 300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the Pittsburgh area you really have a limited selection of routes if you want to stay on flat ground. Most are rail trails. I used to try to avoid big hills, now I attach my nifty new GPS unit to the handlebars and just go exploring all over the area and take whatever terrain I find. There are usually a few challenging climbs and lots of rolling terrain during any given ride.
Old 09-06-06, 05:35 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The road on the right is my route into town.

--A
Old 09-06-06, 05:41 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Flat, flatter, and flattish.

(OP: Earlier this year I did a crit in Berkeley and I couldn't believe how steep Durant is. I couldn't believe I used to ride up it no problem on my craptastic Schwinn with a backpack full of books and notes. And a triple cap from Cafe Strada in one hand!)
Old 09-06-06, 06:06 PM
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mostly smallish hills. I don't have many actual flat sections to ride on, which sort of stinks. I sometimes like a nice flat road! Overall though its short but steep hills, and a good amount. Not awful though since you do get to go down the hill.
Old 09-06-06, 07:06 PM
knoregs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cal_gundert05
what are your routes like?
100 miles or more... 4500' to 7500' total ascent per 100 miles... double digit grades... wind always seems to blow... VERY NICE SCENERY.... I like my routes to include a 'notch' or a 'gap' or two and my fave time to hit em is when it's kind of rainy... seeing the mountains half covered in clouds and then riding UP into the clouds makes for a great ride!
Old 09-06-06, 10:22 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I live at the top of a hill, so no matter what direction I ride, I need to climb a couple of hundred feet at 7-9% to get back to my house at the end of the ride.

The group ride that I did last night was 27 miles with 1160 feet of climbing, which was a little less than we would usually do.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 09-06-06, 10:58 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Like this:
https://routeslip.com/routelist.php?c...789eeebda9f0ca

Mostly rural roads with some in-town sections. Several flat sections between the ever present hills.
Old 09-07-06, 04:56 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Walking or riding the miles count at least you are exercising and not couching My route(s) vary but I live in central NC, they don't call it the Sandhills for nothin'. My short loop (5 miles) has around 220 foot of elevation gain...most of it in the last mile. My long route 25 miles one way has over 500' most of it in one area coming out of the river bottom. And I am usually riding a SS

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon

Last edited by wahoonc; 09-07-06 at 05:01 AM.
Old 09-07-06, 09:05 AM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
It used to be up tunnel, then to pine hearst or redwood. Ahh good times. Now that I graduated just putsing around santa clara on weekdays, and on weekends go down to Palo Alto for some hills there.