Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Brand comparison: Norco Vs Giant ... welcome all opinions

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-06, 08:13 AM
AWAcycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all. (again apol. if rehash)

Norco or Giant ? --> flat bar road bikes for fitness

Down under (or at least where i am) we dont have a big Norco presence, but a few people have recommended them. Giant however are everywhere and seem also to have a fairly good rep. Need opinions on NORCO Vs GIANT in terms of brand rep, build qualit,etc...

thanks.
Andy

... if interested

A more specific Q is: in the US$750 range ($1000 AUD) (entry level flat bar road bikes) Which, based on your past experiences would be the wiser choice and why? the 'NORCO VRF4' or the 'GIANT CRX-3' ... or other

<<<< NORCO VRF4 , 2007 >>>>
Frame: Hydraformed & double butted aluminum, rack/fender mounts
Fork: Aluminum blades & chromoly steer tube
Front Hub: Shimano RM-40
Rear Hub: Shimano RM-60
Rims: Alex Ace 19
Brake: Tektro 837AL, V-Brake
Crankset: Truvativ Isoflow, triple 48/38/28
Freewheel: SRAM PG-850, 8 speed, 12-26
Front Derailleur: Shimano C102, 31.8
Rear Derailleur: Shimano M410, 8 speed

<<<< GIANT CRX-3 , 2007 >>>>
frame - ALUXX alloy: double butted, FluidFormed
fork - Cr-mo tapered 1 1/8th ahead
rear derailleur - Shimano Tiagra 8 speed
front derailleur - Shimano R443
shifters - Shimano ST-R224 flat bar 24 speed
crankset - Shimano Sora 30/42/52T w/Octalink
cassette SRAM PG850 8 speed 12-26T
brakes Tektro RX-1 85mm mini v-brakes
hubs Shimano 2200 8sp cassette
rims Alloy double wall 700c x 32H
Old 09-24-06, 09:01 AM
Sixtwo

Bikes: 2005 Giant FCR1, 2006 OCR C3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if this helps or not, but here in the USofA, your Giant CRX-3 is called an FCR3 and I have the 2005 version which Consumer Reports magazine rated a top choice for its price and handling...I like my bike, it's light, quick, sturdy and responsive...I am not training for the Tour de France, just enjoy hitting the hills and roads in my area for fun and fitness, and I prefer the flat bar (added bar ends) because I have a prob with numb hands and need a more upright sitting position...my tires are 700 x 25 though...
Old 09-24-06, 11:44 AM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Probably not helpful, but I'll give you what I can. I have the Giant Cypress SX, and love it. At 32lbs, I would love it more if it shed 5 or 10 pounds. Mine is the '05 model. The '06 is more road and less comfort.
Sorry I couldn't help with a comparison.

Like Sixtwo, I added bar ends of the Cane Creek variety. Better than the Serfas, and keep my hands closer to the brake levers
Old 09-24-06, 01:04 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have just bought a Giant road bike- A model not in the US, an SCR 3.0. This is the cheaper end of the range and not too far off your price. I have been pleased with it and the one Point that I was worried about- The wheels- have not so far caused a problem in over 1,000miles.

It would appear that the giant has a better spec than the Norco, and I can tell you that Giant make some pretty good frames. At this price level you are not going to get top rates parts fitted but I think it will be a while before you have to change any parts on either bike. My choice would be the giant but if you have trouble in choosing between the two- Test ride both. One will suit you better. Then still not certain- Pick them up and go for the lighter bike. Weight, or less of it, will always pay.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-26-06, 06:41 AM
AWAcycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

your feedback and opinions have been generally in line with what advice i have gotten down here. there dosen't seem to be that many people willing to back Norco in this range.

cheers
Andy