Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why did it have to be a Peugeot?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-13, 11:38 PM
campngolf

Bikes: 70's Raleigh Sports, '12 Specialized Secteur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

So after lurking on the C&V for awhile and drooling over some of the very nice looking vintage bikes. I like to try fixing anything I can and figured I'd see if I could find an old bike at a yard sale or thrift shop. So several weeks ago I see a yard sale on CL in my neighborhood and it mentions "old bike". I knew the chances of it being anything I'd want to buy and a reasonable price were slim. but I'd drove by the yard sale early on a Saturday and was surprised to see a decent vintage bike that looked original at what I thought was a decent price.

I looked it over pretty good and didn't see any major issues. Of course, since this is by first used bike purchase I wasn't even sure what I should really be looking for. The bike was a Peugeot (what I later learned here was a UO8) and I was off on my new addiction. What I didn't realized was how hard it would be to find good parts for the ones that needed to be replaced. Dang Frenchies and their need to be different.

I've been able to replace the Simplex FD (thanks pastor Bob)
I've checked with numerous bike shops in town, including several that handle many vintage bikes, and have been unable to find several parts (rear axle, cotters).

I'm hoping some of the more experienced wrenches here will be able to tell me how difficult it'll be to find these parts. I still have the bike kitchen to check here. I really like getting greasy and looking at the shine parts afterward but DANG, why did this first project have to be a Peugeot?

Camp
Old 08-08-13, 11:45 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Parts can be hard to find for a vintage french bike but the UO-8 is such a great bike to mod if you don't care about staying with original era parts. You can build it with 700c wheels and fit some seriously large tires for example. You could get rid of the cottered crank and go with something different. Velo orange sells a french threaded bottom bracket: https://store.velo-orange.com/index.p...y-cups-59.html. Kind of pricey. Harris cyclery has cotters and french threaded bbs as well: https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/french-cranks.html
Old 08-09-13, 04:42 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
The whole craziness (if you want to call it that) of a French bike comes down to three basic areas: Anything threaded, the fork steerer tube, and the seat post. All are easily compensated for.

Don't worry about the seat post, use the one you've got. If you have to go alloy, just measure the diameter and match it. My LBS carries modern seat posts in many diameters, and I've never had a problem with finding a replacement for a French bike.

The headset, unless worn, is already decently high quality for that price level of bike. Just use it. Your steerer tube on the fork is a slightly smaller diameter than what would be on an English or Japanese bicycle. However, the size difference is .2mm (yes, that's _point two_). Which means a couple of minutes of sanding on a Japanese stem will have it fit nicely.

Wheels are wheels. If you're talking a five-speed rear wheel, it'll fit. Six speed and up means having to spread the rear stays - to pick up a extra cog or two, it's more trouble than its worth. You may have to change the freewheel with the wheel (French threaded freewheels are different than English, natch) but that's damned little expense. As the UO-8 was set up for 27" wheels, 700c wheels will fit, and the original Mafac Racer brakes will probably stretch to fit the slightly smaller wheel.

The crank. While the bottom bracket is threaded differently, it still adheres to the 68mm standard of English and Japanese bikes. So, if you want to upgrade the crank, keep your cups and pick up a 68mm crank spindle. There's a chance that the cup walls will be thinner than English, but substituting an Italian 70mm crank spindle takes care of that problem.

You've already got the front derailleur, so the only other possible problem (slightly smaller diameter seat tube) has been compensated for. A simple metal shim has always taken care of any problem along those lines for me.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 08-09-13, 05:12 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Everything Syke said - +1. I've had an AO-8 since before it was considered C&V and have rarely had a problem with parts.

For example, in the 70's I replaced the solid axles with quick release (AO-8 had wingnuts) - non-Peugeot original but they worked for years (until I did what bikemig suggests and replaced the wheels entirely with 700C/nicer hubs/alloy rims).

More recently, I have all sorts of non-original parts that fit fine - most SR stems and seat posts seem to fit (You know the Peugeot steel seat post has a removable shim on it and the "real" hole diameter is closer to standard, right?) BB I originally replaced with Sugino but now run a cotterless crank spindle with the original cups. Etc, Etc....The headset is about the only thing I have not changed out over the years, mostly due to the fact it didn't need it....

Anyway, congrats on the bike and go out and enjoy it!
Old 08-09-13, 05:40 AM
G1nko

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a UO-8 I bought at a tag sale for a few bucks and use it as a daily commuter.

The bottom bracket was in ruins so I replace it with the french-threaded sealed bottom bracket, a 44t crank, and 175mm crank arms from Velo Orange.

I also put on a chain guard to keep my pants clean and out of the crank, so I converted it to a 1x5, hence the 44t crank. The UO-8 has a braze-on for the shifters only on the right side; the left shifter "braze-on" is built in to the clamp. This makes them ideal for a conversion to 1x5.
Old 08-09-13, 07:39 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
If you're close to any population center in northern CA, I would think you can obtain used parts easily at any of the local bike cooperatives for peanuts. Or, you could keep one Peugeot on the road by having a backup Peugeot for parts! I've reconditioned many a French bike, mostly Pugs and Motos, and don't run into anything that with a little patience you can resolve. Great BB deal below for UO-8s:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Bracket...bottom+bracket

IMHO, all the comments on this forum about the Frenchness of French bikes contributes to the values of the better French bikes to be held back, Le Champions excepted.

Last edited by oddjob2; 08-09-13 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-09-13, 07:55 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
If you want to keep the cottered crank, go to bikesmithdesign.com for the best French cotters available. He also sells the tool you need to do the job right.

If you're close to Pinole, bring it over and use mine.

Last edited by Grand Bois; 08-09-13 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-09-13, 07:15 PM
campngolf

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
...Or, you could keep one Peugeot on the road by having a backup Peugeot for parts!
Funny you should mention that. Today I took my oldest son up the hill to the Barrett-Jackson car auction in Reno and happened to check CL before we left this morning. Wouldn't you know it. another UO8 in very good condition was listed. Couldn't pass it up so I'll be using my first purchase for parts but hope to have them both working before too long.

Camp
Old 08-09-13, 07:23 PM
campngolf

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
If you want to keep the cottered crank, go to bikesmithdesign.com for the best French cotters available. He also sells the tool you need to do the job right.

If you're close to Pinole, bring it over and use mine.
Thanks for the offer to use your press I'm in Sactown.

According to the bikesmithdesign site, they don't sell the Peugeot cotters anymore. Or do yo know a secret password? I may try the filing route if need be.

Camp
Old 08-09-13, 07:46 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you're close to any population center in northern CA, I would think you can obtain used parts easily at any of the local bike cooperatives for peanuts. Or, you could keep one Peugeot on the road by having a backup Peugeot for parts! I've reconditioned many a French bike, mostly Pugs and Motos, and don't run into anything that with a little patience you can resolve. Great BB deal below for UO-8s:

https://www.amazon.com/Bottom-Bracket...bottom+bracket

IMHO, all the comments on this forum about the Frenchness of French bikes contributes to the values of the better French bikes to be held back, Le Champions excepted.
Plus, the Peugeot offers a wonderful challenge. Currently I'm looking around for a French headset with a stack height around 37mm which is proving pretty rare...
Old 08-09-13, 07:53 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
[QUOTE

According to the bikesmithdesign site, they don't sell the Peugeot cotters anymore. Or do yo know a secret password? I may try the filing route if need be.

Camp[/QUOTE]

Harris Cyclery in West Newton, MA carries many French parts, including cotters. See; https://harriscyclery.net/product/gen...-each-1585.htm
Old 08-09-13, 08:00 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
JUst FYI, the later model Pugs have standard threads. Since about 1985 or so, I think. This bike has some '85 parts on it and they're standard threads.
Old 08-09-13, 08:37 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Plus, the Peugeot offers a wonderful challenge. Currently I'm looking around for a French headset with a stack height around 37mm which is proving pretty rare...
VO's is 41mm and $30.
Old 08-09-13, 11:51 PM
campngolf

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by elcraft
Harris Cyclery in West Newton, MA carries many French parts, including cotters. See; https://harriscyclery.net/product/gen...-each-1585.htm

Yeah, I checked them and I may go with them but they will require some filing as the cotters from my bike has the full cut.

Camp

Last edited by campngolf; 08-10-13 at 10:44 AM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 08-10-13, 03:50 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by campngolf
Yeah, I checked them and I may go with them but they will require some filing as the cotters from my bike has the full cut.
The quality of cotters is poor these days. I have had so much trouble with the cheap cotters like those you see at Harris that I am extremely careful when I remove existing cotters so I can reuse them. Filing cotters is a lost art form. I can't get the angles to match exactly and my crank arms are usually not at 180 degrees.

See if bike smith has any of the full cut grade C cotters available. Those will be better than the crummy LBS ones. I have a few of the cheapo 9.0 cotters left that I will send you for free if you want to try them.
Old 08-10-13, 07:19 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
VO's is 41mm and $30.
Yeah. I know about that.

Just concerned that I spend $30 on a headset and discover that with the addition of a cable stop, I'm SOL. My first instinct is to pick up a gently used headset and see if I can get it to work with the French locknut.
Old 08-10-13, 09:23 AM
Grand Bois

What is wrong with the headset you have?
Old 08-10-13, 09:49 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What is wrong with the headset you have?
The steering is "indexed" and kind of sticks in one position. Bottom cup had already been replaced with loose balls.
Old 08-10-13, 10:24 AM
Grand Bois

I just checked and I don't have any to offer. I guess it wasn't a good idea to toss perfectly good headsets when I replaced them with better ones.
Old 08-10-13, 10:31 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
My first instinct is to pick up a gently used headset and see if I can get it to work with the French locknut.
The lower stack takes almost all the load and thus shows almost all the wear on a headset. Thus, you could replace the lower stack with any similar lower stack and keep using the metric threaded parts with the upper stack.
Old 08-10-13, 10:53 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
The easiest solution for the headset and stem weirdness is an aftermarket Japanese fork -- I think Sheldon mentioned this on his website.

The UO-8 is one of the best-riding basic bike boom "10 speeds" out there. Mine is my basic theft-resistant rusty trusty transportation beater.

The fundamental UO-8 upgrades are: 1) aluminum rims (I installed new wheels with ISO freewheel threading and Normandy Luxe Competition hubs); 2) ultra-6 freewheel (requires only about 2mm more than a 5-speed); 3) aluminum cranks (mine are aero Suginos; 4) Japanese derailleurs (SunTour Cyclone rear, Shimano Titlist front, SunTour ratchet barcons); 5) KoolStop salmon brake pads. I also substituted Weinmann brake handles for a faster panic grab (if you have hands like Rachmaninoff's, keep the Mafacs); 6) aluminum road quill pedals (or modern clipless if you prefer); 7) modern pump -- my Blackburn fits the downtube pegs perfectly. Finishing touches on mine are period correct Pletscher mousetrap rear rack and cylindrical Bellwether handlebar bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Optimized-2009-06-13.jpg (97.4 KB, 26 views)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Last edited by John E; 08-10-13 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-10-13, 03:34 PM
SteveSGP

Bikes: 1977 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1976 Gitane Tour de France

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The steering is "indexed" and kind of sticks in one position. Bottom cup had already been replaced with loose balls.
It's quite common for a French bikes steerer to have a caged upper and loose balls in the lower, It surprised me the first time I ran into it and all the bearings fell on the floor.
Old 08-10-13, 04:22 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by John E
The easiest solution for the headset and stem weirdness is an aftermarket Japanese fork -- I think Sheldon mentioned this on his website.

The UO-8 is one of the best-riding basic bike boom "10 speeds" out there.
Replacing the fork carries the risk of altering those desirable ride characteristics. Replacing the worn lower stack of the headset with new parts, while retaining the original metric-thread upper stack and fork both costs less and won't alter the ride characteristics.
Old 08-10-13, 05:48 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just checked and I don't have any to offer. I guess it wasn't a good idea to toss perfectly good headsets when I replaced them with better ones.
Thanks for looking!!!
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Replacing the fork carries the risk of altering those desirable ride characteristics. Replacing the worn lower stack of the headset with new parts, while retaining the original metric-thread upper stack and fork both costs less and won't alter the ride characteristics.
But changing out the fork is another option... although probably not my first choice. A used headset would be an easier first option.

... just another example of the challenges you run into with these old bike boom French bikes.
Old 08-10-13, 07:28 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

A used headset would be an easier first option.
Why not a new headset? The UO-8 used a pretty generic unit (Stronglight P-3, IIRC); an inexpensive new Japanese or Taiwanese headset would be perfectly suitable. The only parts you'd need are the crown race and the lower cup, but those a seldom available separately anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.