Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Have anyone tried a kit from ebay? Need advice

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Have anyone tried a kit from ebay? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 11:22 AM
Singa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Have anyone tried a kit from ebay? Need advice

How can I be sure a kit I order online will fit my bike?

I am interested in this kit: 1000W 48V Electric E Bike Bicycle Conversion Motor Scooter Kit 20AH LiFePO4 | eBay

I did talk with the seller and he says its 100% will fit my bike (but then again its a seller and all he wants is to sell...)

Anyway heres my rear wheel's pictures:

and here the picture he sent of the motor wheel:

I'm also open for recommendations to other kits online, or I can just buy from local stores 1 of there's bikes (That I took a liking) but I do prefer to upgrade my GT :>

They are both 36V with 250W (Is there really a difference between 48V, 1000W? I am new to this but then again these bikes are local and more trusted than Chinese kits)

Their prices in $ are: 1600$
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
motor.jpg (63.5 KB, 20 views)
20140711_154047.jpg (99.7 KB, 16 views)
20140711_154056.jpg (101.0 KB, 16 views)
20140711_154112.jpg (100.6 KB, 16 views)
bike1.jpg (91.9 KB, 17 views)
bike2.jpg (66.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-11-14, 11:52 AM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at the Papamotor 48v 1000w kit and 48v 15Ah Ping battery setup. You'll also want to look through the last ten pages of this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...n-kits-25.html

Here are a few questions you should also think about:

What part of the country do you live in?
What's the terrain like? Hills or mostly flat?
Are there bicycle lanes?
What's the average speed limit on roads you expect to travel on?
Do you plan on charging the battery only at home or when you arrive at your destination?
How do you plan on carrying the battery and possibly charger on the bike?
Can you remove the battery easily from the bicycle should you need to park for an extended period of time?
Do you need to be prepared to ride in the rain?
How fast would you like to go?
What distances will you like to cover on average?
What about aggressive drivers? Will you need a camera as insurance in case someone hits you?
Do you expect to carry any cargo? Groceries? Laptop and work related items?

With the right 48v 1000w setup you can sell your gas vehicle and your e-bike will pay for itself in less than a year.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-11-14, 01:03 PM
Singa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EBikeFL
Take a look at the Papamotor 48v 1000w kit and 48v 15Ah Ping battery setup. You'll also want to look through the last ten pages of this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/electric-b...n-kits-25.html

Kit looks legit but the rear dropouts are 13cm in their pictures and mine are 16cm.

Here are a few questions you should also think about:

What part of the country do you live in? City
What's the terrain like? Hills or mostly flat? Hills (asphalt tho)
Are there bicycle lanes? There are few in the city, not on my way to work thought
What's the average speed limit on roads you expect to travel on? 60 -+ km/h
Do you plan on charging the battery only at home or when you arrive at your destination? Can be charged at work
How do you plan on carrying the battery and possibly charger on the bike? Rear bag
Can you remove the battery easily from the bicycle should you need to park for an extended period of time? I have no idea lol
Do you need to be prepared to ride in the rain? No, it hardly rains here
How fast would you like to go? 30 -+ km/h
What distances will you like to cover on average? Around 10 km
What about aggressive drivers? Will you need a camera as insurance in case someone hits you? Nah
Do you expect to carry any cargo? Groceries? Laptop and work related items? No

With the right 48v 1000w setup you can sell your gas vehicle and your e-bike will pay for itself in less than a year.

:O arrr
Old 07-11-14, 02:46 PM
EBikeFL 

Bikes: 2012 Kona Lanai

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get different size (quantity) rear cog sets to make up the difference in rear dropouts.

If you will be riding over steep hills then you may want to look into ebikes.ca's stokemonkey kit.
Soylent Green is People!
Old 07-11-14, 10:58 PM
Singa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EBikeFL
You can get different size (quantity) rear cog sets to make up the difference in rear dropouts. Could I get more info about that?

If you will be riding over steep hills then you may want to look into ebikes.ca's stokemonkey kit.
Old 07-14-14, 06:24 AM
G1nko

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since your title question asks about eBay, here's my story purchasing on eBay from Chinese sellers, take it for what it's worth.

I bought a 36v LiFePO4 kit off a seller from eBay. Battery was advertised as 10Ah. I already had a motor, I was just looking for a battery and a controller. Parts arrived, installed on bike, went for a test ride. Battery died after 8 miles @ 15mph with significant input from pedaling rider (me).

Took battery apart, individual cells measured wildly different voltages after a full charge; anywhere from 3.97 to 4.23v. The cell connectors were poorly soldered and, in two instances, cracked. I fixed the solders and replaced the bad connectors. Still no go; the battery simply would not balance.

I posted a few pics to the tubez. Battery was, in fact, not LiFePO4, but Lithium Manganese and apparently had been sitting in a warehouse for over 5 years. Capacity was estimated around 5Ah. By the time all this was figured out, eBay seller was long gone (no longer a registered user) and I was out $250 for useless junk.

Next eBay experience was buying an RD32II camera for my bike since I seem to regularly have close encounters with cars. Camera arrived but would not take a charge. Seller said "Sure, I'll take it back, just send it to this address, but please only declare the value as $10 so I don't have to pay taxes." It cost me $30 to ship a $150 camera back to China. 3 weeks later, no word. Filed a PayPal complaint. Now this is completely my fault, but I relied on the customs form for tracking and did not opt to take the $14 extra tracking. Based on this, PayPal denied my claim. Seller claimed the package never arrived and never answered a single email from me after providing me an address to send the item back. *Poof* There goes another $180.

So, you may have an awesome experience buying off eBay from Chinese sellers. I didn't and I'll never do it again. I buy local if I can; or through a reputable Internet dealer. I may pay a bit more at Grin Cyclery, for example, but in the long-run, it's worth every penny.
Old 07-15-14, 07:09 AM
Singa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G1nko
Since your title question asks about eBay, here's my story purchasing on eBay from Chinese sellers, take it for what it's worth.

I bought a 36v LiFePO4 kit off a seller from eBay. Battery was advertised as 10Ah. I already had a motor, I was just looking for a battery and a controller. Parts arrived, installed on bike, went for a test ride. Battery died after 8 miles @ 15mph with significant input from pedaling rider (me).

Took battery apart, individual cells measured wildly different voltages after a full charge; anywhere from 3.97 to 4.23v. The cell connectors were poorly soldered and, in two instances, cracked. I fixed the solders and replaced the bad connectors. Still no go; the battery simply would not balance.

I posted a few pics to the tubez. Battery was, in fact, not LiFePO4, but Lithium Manganese and apparently had been sitting in a warehouse for over 5 years. Capacity was estimated around 5Ah. By the time all this was figured out, eBay seller was long gone (no longer a registered user) and I was out $250 for useless junk.

Next eBay experience was buying an RD32II camera for my bike since I seem to regularly have close encounters with cars. Camera arrived but would not take a charge. Seller said "Sure, I'll take it back, just send it to this address, but please only declare the value as $10 so I don't have to pay taxes." It cost me $30 to ship a $150 camera back to China. 3 weeks later, no word. Filed a PayPal complaint. Now this is completely my fault, but I relied on the customs form for tracking and did not opt to take the $14 extra tracking. Based on this, PayPal denied my claim. Seller claimed the package never arrived and never answered a single email from me after providing me an address to send the item back. *Poof* There goes another $180.

So, you may have an awesome experience buying off eBay from Chinese sellers. I didn't and I'll never do it again. I buy local if I can; or through a reputable Internet dealer. I may pay a bit more at Grin Cyclery, for example, but in the long-run, it's worth every penny.
Thanks for sharing this with me, now I am sure not buying anything expensive from ebay again (electronic stuff anyway)

Can papamotors be trusted? aren't they Chinese too?
Old 07-29-14, 02:32 PM
JustInTimePA

Bikes: Mongoose 26" w/1000 48vdc front wheel conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I opted for a 1000 Watt 48VDC kit from eBikeling through Amazon. They are in the states. Very happy with the price and service. You have to contact the seller to tell him if you want a 6 or 7 gear freewheel (Rear Mount) and if you want a Grip twist or lever throttle. They don't sell the batteries though. That will depend on distances between charges. All in all, nice kit.
Old 07-29-14, 03:18 PM
Sunny2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a motor from China, not on ebay but on aliexpress. I bought the 48v 750w Bafang motor, am very happy with my purchase. I did buy the battery separately from Hong Kong. I relied on other members experiences on a different forum. I received what I ordered from both companies.
Old 07-31-14, 07:10 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 623 Posts
Look at Dillenger which seems to be a respected Au company with distribution in Ontario, CA. !000 watt motor with 48/10 battery in turn key kit is $899. I haven't purchased this kit, so this is an uninformed recommendation only. I have heard that em3ev, a Chinese company operated by an expat is reliable.
Old 07-31-14, 07:34 PM
Sunny2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Look at Dillenger which seems to be a respected Au company with distribution in Ontario, CA. !000 watt motor with 48/10 battery in turn key kit is $899. I haven't purchased this kit, so this is an uninformed recommendation only. I have heard that em3ev, a Chinese company operated by an expat is reliable.
I understand that em3ev is in Hong Kong. I bought my battery from him.