Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

MTB Riders

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 11:34 AM
fatpunk

Bikes: '12 Giant Sedona, '15 Specialized Crave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MTB Riders

I see most of us ride road bikes, talk about road bikes, centuries, metric centuries etc. Anyone into MTB? Because of this forum, I got started at 425 lbs on a 2013 Giant Sedona. Ended up getting a tandem rear wheel and street slicks. As the weight has dropped and the local MTB trails have grown and improved I find myself looking more and more into getting out and shredding the dirt.

Anyone ride MTB trails? What’s your Favorite bikes and trails?
Old 04-15-18, 06:05 PM
GuessWhoCycling
Banned.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Trek Hard tail. A bit older now but still works great! I ride mostly fire roads when I ride. Local park with a 5 mile loop that gains 1500 ft or so in the first 2.5 miles. I will do 2 to 3 loops just to practice climbing.

Then when I am really feeling it! I do this climb. BTW, MTB is great practice for roadie down hills. I notice when I MTB more, fast mountain road switchbacks on a roadie is a breeze.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MTB102412eleGain.JPG (27.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 04-15-18, 06:10 PM
decotriumph 

Bikes: 2022 Trek Marlin 7, 2016 Trek FX 7.4, 1987 Schwinn Circuit, 1955 Indian Scout (Phillips)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 15 Posts
Hey FP,
I recently bought off Craigslist a used carbon mountain bike, a 2015 Focus Raven, that the previous owner had built up from a bare frame with all Shimano XT components, incl. hydraulic disc brakes. I've been losing weight, now down to 256 from 290, but the first 30 came off easy, without exercising. I think the bikes are the key to getting more weight off. Weather here has been mostly suckville this spring, cold and rainy, so I hadn't started riding my bike for this season yet, but we had a nice week this past week and I've started riding my hybrid on paved trails again. I rode 4 out of 5 days last week, and then it rained all day yesterday and most of today. I bought the MB because I know it will give me a more strenuous workout and help work the pounds off.

I am fortunate that I live about 20 minutes from a state park with a few MB trails, and the local bike club also maintains one on the nearby air force base.

Old 04-15-18, 06:13 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
There are lots of mtb riders on this site. I am lucky enough to ride both road and mtb while living in the Catskills of NY, so I have access to many Mtb Parks, trails and quite roads. What I also have access too are some killer elevation changes and climbs.
An average ride has about 50-100ft of elevation in a mile.
Local trails include Stewart State park, Taconic-Hereford 909, Walnut Mtn, Camp Orange State Park and numerous Rail Trails too.
Old 04-17-18, 12:28 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
I ride MTB pretty often, usually places that aren't flat
2018 Santa Cruz Chamleon 275plus, been on 29ers for a decade and like the plus tire setup for 95% of the time

And I do some racing though I know I will never win, it's not about winning but it would be cool if no one else showed up. This one was 26miles and 3600ft climbing/DH fun
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.