Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Collarbone plate

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-18, 09:33 AM
Stevie47

Bikes: Waterford, Orbea, Giant

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Collarbone plate

Has anyone here had a collarbone plated then later had the plate removed after healing? A cycling doc friend of mine recommended removal, I think because another break on that side could be problematic. Thoughts?
Old 02-03-18, 10:04 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I did have one removed after one year, but it was a larger size plate and with my low body fat was a pretty severe lump. My issue was not the aesthetic (though it did look really strange) but constant discomfort. I think also, that surgeon didn't do a good job in getting the clavicle situated properly.

A couple of years after removal I broke the same bone again, and this time I specified a low profile plate. I had thought that a plate was a plate, and the surgeon selects one based on medical reasons, but it turns out that there ARE choices. I have no reason to remove this one, and I consider it a permanent upgrade. The collar bone is probably stronger with it than without. Bottom line, with a good surgeon and the right hardware, it's better to leave the plate unless it causes trouble.
Old 03-05-18, 04:56 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I broke my clavicle in '08 and because it was an "over/under" break, my Dr said it would never heal properly without the internal fixation of a plate. I had the surgery and never regretted it since. The plate is still in there (Dr said as long as it doesn't bother me, leave it in) and I swear I would have broken it at least twice since if that plate wasn't there to make the collarbone that much stronger.
I have retained the proper bone length and strength due to the plating.
Old 03-05-18, 05:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My hardware is elsewhere (ankle), but the advice I got was leave it alone (in place) unless it is causing you discomfort.