Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kinda Weird Helmet

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kinda Weird Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 10:49 PM
AlexDessm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kinda Weird Helmet

I just got a helmet I bought from Amazon (I know, don't buy helmets online) and I found the placement of the chin straps a bit weird, as well as the helmet size looking a tad big on my head, even though it fits well when I adjust it. I'm really a newbie on helmet knowledge, and I'm not really concerned by looks as much as I am by safety, so I'm just wondering if there's a problem with the chin straps not touching the sides of my face. I'm also dwelling on wether I should return the helmet and get a smaller size, but I don't know if the desing itself will change significantly, technically both sizes will fit me well since my head circumference is 58 cm and both helmet sizes cover that range.

Or... Is it just me?

Helmet: Ventura Freestyle / BMX / Outdoor Helmet

Can't post photos or links to them since I'm a new user, but I used one of the photos as my avatar.

Last edited by AlexDessm; 06-25-20 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-24-20, 11:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Looks like a typical skate/BMX helmet to me. The straps on the sides generally don't touch your face because skate/BMX helmets are thicker, rounder, multi-impact affairs, compared to "cycling" specific helmets, which are thinner, lighter, and "one and done."
Old 06-25-20, 12:52 AM
AlexDessm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like a typical skate/BMX helmet to me. The straps on the sides generally don't touch your face because skate/BMX helmets are thicker, rounder, multi-impact affairs, compared to "cycling" specific helmets, which are thinner, lighter, and "one and done."
Thanks for the info! My sister has a common skate helmet which we used for comparison, it just seems like the new helmet has a way thicker foam than normal, making it look bigger. I'm thinking I'll keep the new one because I'd like to have that extra protection even though I'll mostly be doing town cycling (my city doesn't have much of a infrastructure for bikes, and car/bus drivers don't really aknowledge our existence, which makes things alot more dangerous).

Last edited by AlexDessm; 06-25-20 at 08:23 AM.