Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cold schmold, I’m impervious, but…

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-18, 01:33 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

... but what about my equipment? Today I biked for the first time in cold weather…..mid-twenties and mid-teen wind chills. I felt great, as long as I kept all skin covered. I was plenty warm. But then it occurred to me….

The issue that could really cause a crimp in my day would be equipment failure. For instance, although I carry spare tubes, CO2 inflators, etc, it would have been a real PIA to have to stop and change a tire. In some scenarios it could be downright dangerous.

So what precautions do you all take in the cold as it pertains to equipment? BTW, did you know that AAA (triple A) will come get you if you break down on your bike? Could be a long wait though.
Old 11-23-18, 04:28 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
No precautions out of the ordinary.
Old 11-23-18, 04:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
... but what about my equipment? Today I biked for the first time in cold weather…..mid-twenties and mid-teen wind chills. I felt great, as long as I kept all skin covered. I was plenty warm. But then it occurred to me….

The issue that could really cause a crimp in my day would be equipment failure. For instance, although I carry spare tubes, CO2 inflators, etc, it would have been a real PIA to have to stop and change a tire. In some scenarios it could be downright dangerous.

So what precautions do you all take in the cold as it pertains to equipment? BTW, did you know that AAA (triple A) will come get you if you break down on your bike? Could be a long wait though.
Originally Posted by ksryder
Heart schmart, just how low can some people go around here??!!

I, for one, enthusiastically support OP's thread title naming conventions, and eagerly await his future threads:

1x, Schmoneby
Disc, Schmisc
Low Pressure, Schmo Schmpressure
Electronic shifting, Schmelectronic Schmifting
Bent Fork, Schment Schmfork

And for the A/S crowd:
Cyclist Didn't Wave on the MUP, Schmyclist Schmidn't Schmwave Schmon Schmthe SchMUP
Helmet, Schmelmet.

Schmappy Schmthanksgiving, Schmeveryone!
There is a Winter Cycling Forum with innumerable, sometimes contrarian opinions.

IMO as a decades-long year-round cycle commuter in Boston there are two recent pretty good comprehensive threads about many winter time contingencies, to which I posted as well:
Emergency Winter Cycling Kit?, and in the Commuting Forum, Comfortable clothing for cycling *when it’s snowing*? (links).

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-23-18 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 05:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
My advice is to avoid lightweight tires without flat protection...Winter studded tires usually have flat protection or you can use touring tires with built in flat protection. Flat protection is almost a necessity in winter because the roads are littered with all kinds of sharp things and it's hard to see it and avoid riding over it. I've had one flat during winter and it was very difficult to deal with because of the cold and road crud...Make sure your bike is well maintained and in good working condition.
Old 11-23-18, 06:20 AM
Jim from Boston

...but what about my equipment? Today I biked for the first time in cold weather…..mid-twenties and mid-teen wind chills. I felt great, as long as I kept all skin covered. I was plenty warm. But then it occurred to me….

The issue that could really cause a crimp in my day would be equipment failure….So what precautions do you all take in the cold as it pertains to equipment? BTW, did you know that AAA (triple A) will come get you if you break down on your bike? Could be a long wait though
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
…I am always biking somewhere with cell coverage and the ability to call a an uber/lift/taxi/tow truck/ambulance if there was an emergency so that's my backup plan.
Originally Posted by tsl
…. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get saltedBroken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend
So regarding equipment failures, in addition to the advice of @wolfchild, I would emphasize studded tires:
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My advice is to avoid lightweight tires without flat protection...Winter studded tires usually have flat protection or you can use touring tires with built in flat protection.

Flat protection is almost a necessity in winter because the roads are littered with all kinds of sharp things and it's hard to see it and avoid riding over it. I've had one flat during winter and it was very difficult to deal with because of the cold and road crud..

Make sure your bike is well maintained and in good working condition.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
We had an early snowfall, then rain on Friday (11-16). I’m considering putting on my studded tires today, weeks earlier than usual, but I don’t think I have the time to do so today.
Carbide studs are reputed to last a long time. I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement. My first pair lasted several seasons, and may be still useable.
PS: I also use Kevlar tire liners year round, even on my fair weather carbon fiber road bike, to hopefully forestall flats
...My slogan is "Gear and gumption."

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-23-18 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 06:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
.BTW, did you know that AAA (triple A) will come get you if you break down on your bike? Could be a long wait though.
You need to do some research into what AAA offers in that regard before making such a sweeping statement.
Old 11-23-18, 06:41 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
My advice is to avoid lightweight tires without flat protection...Winter studded tires usually have flat protection or you can use touring tires with built in flat protection. Flat protection is almost a necessity in winter because the roads are littered with all kinds of sharp things and it's hard to see it and avoid riding over it. I've had one flat during winter and it was very difficult to deal with because of the cold and road crud...Make sure your bike is well maintained and in good working condition.
+1

Studded tires added another 5 to 10 minutes to my one-way commute this week. But that's nothing compared to the difficulty in changing a flat in -16*C temperature.

Clean your bike after a messy ride, and the re-lube.
Old 11-23-18, 06:45 AM
baldilocks

Bikes: Giant ATX Lite & Schwinn Mesa

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
My longest walk would be 2 miles, so it's not an issue. This year I bought Studded tires which helps with the ice. I had a flat and told my son to come get me from work. My next tube may be heavy duty or slime filled. Unfortunatly when enough snow gets dumped that the size of the usable street gets smaller and there is no side to escape on to, My winter riding will be over. Last year after January there was so much snow the only way I was going anywhere was in the truck. That said, the studded tires were worth the price.
Old 11-23-18, 07:29 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by baldilocks
My longest walk would be 2 miles, so it's not an issue. This year I bought Studded tires which helps with the ice. I had a flat and told my son to come get me from work.

My next tube may be heavy duty or slime filled. Unfortunatly when enough snow gets dumped that the size of the usable street gets smaller and there is no side to escape on to, My winter riding will be over.

Last year after January there was so much snow the only way I was going anywhere was in the truck. That said, the studded tires were worth the price.
I have previously posted about my strategy for dealing with those additional hazards posed by winter motorists:
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago.

The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.
When winter cycling I particularly emphazise wearing a rearview mirror because of that added danger of cars skidding, both behind and oncoming, and usually on narrowed roadways.
BTW, my wife is a nurse, and she tended me well during my three month convalescence from my cycling accident. Our relationship was early on very bicycle-centered, including a cross-country cycling honeymoon, so she does not give me a hard time about continuing cycling.

I kid her that's because we have one family car, and it's hers since I cycle commute and do errands. When I do ride in nasty weather though she does chide me, "You just want to ride today so you can write about it on BikeForums."
Old 11-23-18, 07:48 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
You need to do some research into what AAA offers in that regard before making such a sweeping statement.
I don't know about other plans, or other states, but I have this benefit. My nephew works at an AAA multi state call center. He sent a driver to someone stuck on a nearby bike path once. Are there plans that don't do that?
Old 11-23-18, 08:08 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I ride down to 10F, so I have thought of cold-weather emergencies too. I carry an extra layer top and snow pants and gloves and glove liners that would make walking and /or waiting safe. I suppose in extreme cases I would throw on some of my office clothes, but that hasn't ever happened. I carry plastic bags which I can wrap my feet with in rain or snow.

Of course nowadays I have a phone with me, and my wallet and credit card are in with my office clothes. I also make sure I have some cash in my backpack, too.

My top layer is always a hi-viz windbreaker, which has a hood, which stays tucked away, but a couple of times a winter I use it to supplement my lightweight balaclava.

Last summer I bought arm-warmer/sun-shades which might help in certain situations, and a neck-shade which is just a big fabric tube that can be worn as an additional ear warmer or balaclava as needed, so those have stayed in the backpack this winter.

However, my commute routes are never so remote that a store or indoor public space is never more than a half-mile away (10 minutes or so on foot).
Old 11-23-18, 08:34 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,990 Times in 1,777 Posts
... but what about my equipment? Today I biked for the first time in cold weather…..mid-twenties and mid-teen wind chills. .
Mid 20s is a warm spring day for some of us....

Old 11-23-18, 08:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
Are there plans that don't do that?
According to what I have read, it's not available everywhere.

Personally, I would never support AAA since it's a motorist lobby that has, in the past, advocated for funding being diverted to car-related projects and has advocated other positions I don't support. A lot of people think that's it's simply a roadside assistance organization. Far from correct.
Old 11-23-18, 08:41 AM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Cell Phone. No way I'm chasing a tire in 20 degree temps...unless wolves are actually circling me.
Old 11-23-18, 09:19 AM
2manybikes

According to what I have read, it's not available everywhere.

Personally, I would never support AAA since it's a motorist lobby that has, in the past, advocated for funding being diverted to car-related projects and has advocated other positions I don't support. A lot of people think that's it's simply a roadside assistance organization. Far from correct.
I never thought about that. Thanks. helpful
I use AAA to help my daughters if they have problem. It worked twice. Them having only one parent this is convenient for all of us.
Old 11-23-18, 09:24 AM
2manybikes

Co2 inflators can freeze up before filling a tire. Put the whole thing under as many top jacket layers as possible for a few minutes. Then take it out and fill the tire as fast as possible. It still does not help much below freezing any way.
Old 11-23-18, 09:35 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
If it would come to that, I'm probably never farther than 20 minutes walk from a bus stop. So I reckon I'd be able to lock the bike up for later retrieval and be inside a warmed vehicle within one hour. Faster if I call a cab.
But I do carry some extra clothes. And it would take more than a flat before I call it "unfixable".
For several seasons, I used DIY studded solid tires to avoid having to deal with flats in the winter.
Old 11-23-18, 10:20 AM
Jim from Boston

I have previously posted about my strategy for dealing with those additional hazards posed by winter motorists:
Further commentary on studded tires:
Originally Posted by esmith2039
Studded tires are going on tonight.. snow forecasted Thursday. While it's tougher to commute in the winter I'd rather do that than deal with the idiots on the road. I passed a couple FWD and 4x4's last year.
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Interesting. Others might feel safer dealing with the "idiots on the road" from inside a car, rather than on a bicycle, during the winter. Care to elaborate?[
Originally Posted by crazyravr
My thoughts exactly. Unless you dont cycle on the road / shoulder and use only separate bike paths
Originally Posted by esmith2039
On the bike I can maneuver around them easier. The streets I take on the bike are less traveled so I don't have alot of issues.

I take more caution though so I won't get slid into. I don't have a 4x4 in the stable either and with the studs the bike is pretty much unstoppable.
On one of my worst commuting days in decades, the roads were so slick, that cars couldn’t make it up one of my hills, yet I could with my studded tires.

On the other hand, I have previously posted,
On one of the worst winter days I have ridden by bike on studded tires, I was able to stop three different times, to push hapless drivers spinning their wheels on icy roads to get onto less slippery patches.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-24-18 at 06:38 AM. Reason: added quote by esmith2039
Old 11-23-18, 11:21 AM
Wattsup

I did do some research, but...... if you own a carbon-schmarbon bike (maybe there's an exception?), I suggest you don't go out in sub-zero weather based on an anonymous poster's post on BF, but first go check on your local AAA website! Eh, you might as well check no matter what your bike frame composition is..

Last edited by Wattsup; 11-23-18 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 11:33 AM
Wattsup

I never thought about that. Thanks. helpful
I use AAA to help my daughters if they have problem. It worked twice. Them having only one parent this is convenient for all of us.

An alternate...

​​​​​​​https://www.usacycling.org/resources...ide-assistance

https://www.usacycling.org/memberships
Old 11-23-18, 11:39 AM
Jim from Boston

I did do some research, but...... if you own a carbon-schmarbon bike (maybe there's an exception?), I suggest you don't go out in sub-zero weather based on an anonymous poster's post on BF, but first go check on your local AAA website!

Eh, you might as well check no matter what your bike frame composition is..
Here’s a place to start:"Carbon bike in winter?
Originally Posted by cj19
Trying to find some accurate information on riding a carbon frame bike (Trek Domane SL 6) in cold temperatures...
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I have no scientific studies to offer you, but I will point out that modern airplanes make extensive use of carbon fiber on wings and rudders and other outside surfaces that routinely are exposed to -30 and -40 temps, and maybe colder.

Carbon is also used in various fat-tire bikes that are designed specifically for winter riding.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-23-18 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-23-18, 12:11 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
So what precautions do you all take in the cold? - fixed gear, tougher tires, spare light. Carry a pump instead/addition to the CO2.
Old 11-23-18, 12:12 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
I don't know about other plans, or other states, but I have this benefit. My nephew works at an AAA multi state call center. He sent a driver to someone stuck on a nearby bike path once. Are there plans that don't do that?
it’s not available in all parts of the country. I have it here in WI with standard membership
Old 11-23-18, 12:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Keep water away from cables/ one time got my rear derailer frozen and had to stop in darkness and sub freezing temperatures on my way to work to disassemble clear the ice and reassemble not fun nope not at all
Old 11-23-18, 12:27 PM
Wattsup

Originally Posted by jamesdak
Mid 20s is a warm spring day for some of us....

Whoa, a snotcicle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.