Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Spray Degreasers

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Spray Degreasers

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-08, 09:32 PM
bumperm
bumpersoar

Bikes: Trek Madone 6.9, Trek 5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are at least two types of 409 cleaner. One safe for use on aluminum and one not. Read the label . . . you sure don't want 409 etching your DA components. I'd rather use mineral spirits, Stodard solvent, or even paint thinner.

bumper
Old 12-25-08, 11:53 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,518 Times in 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by bcarter6
But I am wondering about what he said about it hurting my bike... he just feeding me a line?
The active ingredient in citrus cleaner is D-Limonene.
If you do some googling you will turn up lots of warnings about using it on plastic and rubber.
Example:

https://www.floridachemical.com/compatibility_chart.htm
Old 12-26-08, 11:48 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mike

PS; don't waste your money buying degreasers at a bike shop. That's crazy. Go down the street and get stuff like that at a hardware store. Use the money you save to buy a latte at Starbucks.
ew! I'd MUCH rather give my LBS my money that Starbucks! *edit* i see this was already adressed. I should have read further, sorry to be such a quick-draw mcgraw

oh & I like simplgreen for parts that are NOT currently on the bike.
water for parts on the bike...water & thats it.

I don't clean my chain either, just wipe down & fresh lube every 3 months or so & after riding in the rain, that's all it really needs. It may not last as long, but a new chain is easier to deal with than trying to make a $15-30 componant last forever
Old 12-26-08, 04:31 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cobrabyte
I don't clean my chain either, just wipe down & fresh lube every 3 months or so & after riding in the rain, that's all it really needs. It may not last as long, but a new chain is easier to deal with than trying to make a $15-30 componant last forever
You know, I am starting to see the logic in not removing and cleaning chains. I notice that breaking a chain in order to throroughly clean it seems to weaken the chain.

I suppose on of those chain cleaning tools would be OK, but I don't think you can really get the grit out of the working part of the chain unless you take it apart and give it a tumble in a jug full of solvent.
Old 01-01-09, 09:29 PM
bikepeddler

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Trek Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mineral Spirits is definitely one of the most effective and cost friendly cleaners. However it has an obnoxious smell and (for those who care) is environmentally unsound. For those people who have degreased their bearings: APPLY THE CLEANER TO THE RAG FIRST!!!! Your bike, does not want to be soaked in anything. I work at a bike shop where for the most part we use citrus degreaser, and for extroirdinarily dirty and rusted chains we use penetrating lubricants. For most chains, Rock and Roll cleaner and lubricant is the cleanest and easiest way to go, especially becuase most people wont take the time to remove their chain and soak it in anything. Any dry lube will keep your chain cleaner than wet lube. The only reason I've found to use wet lube is in snow, or if you leave your bike outside and it gets exposed to morning dew, rain etc.

Last edited by bikepeddler; 01-01-09 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-02-09, 12:36 PM
Chuck G
Dirty old man in training

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 1991 Raleigh Olympian, 1988 Nishiki Ariel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For cleaning chains I use Pedro's Orange Peelz and shop rags. I use nitrile mechanics gloves so I don't get it on my skin.

For cleaning the frame, rims, hubs on the bike I use water, paper towels, shop rags, old toothbrush, and a cleaning brush that sort of looks like a paint brush. For grimy spots on the frame Mr. Clean "magic erasers" work great.
Old 01-02-09, 12:47 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
You know, I am starting to see the logic in not removing and cleaning chains. I notice that breaking a chain in order to throroughly clean it seems to weaken the chain.

I suppose on of those chain cleaning tools would be OK, but I don't think you can really get the grit out of the working part of the chain unless you take it apart and give it a tumble in a jug full of solvent.
Yeah, most people recommend not breaking the chain to clean it. Master link would be one option, but I'd rather just remove the wheels from the derailer and get the chain out that way without breaking it. I'd do the same when swapping derailers.
Old 12-30-19, 08:44 AM
john mariner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use spray degreaser for my bikes and my friends also have been using spray degreasers for a long time what I usually do is I put it clean the equipment for example a chain and rinse it of so it does not damage it Yyou should also do the same
Old 12-30-19, 12:47 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
You can use Starbucks to clean your chain.
Old 12-30-19, 03:49 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Most effective degreaser I ever used? Off Oven Cleaner--without a doubt. But it stripped the finish off my rear wheel, so, new wheels on the way. One way to get new wheels, I suppose... Idiot.

Just thoroughly cleaned the bike with a toothbrush and dish detergent/water. Took 82 minutes. This is what the front looks like two rides after that cleaning.

Last edited by bpcyclist; 12-30-19 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-30-19, 05:05 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
If you absolutely must degrease, then brush on some mineral spirits with an old paint brush, let sit for a minute, then wash/hose as per usual. Very effective and only a minimal amount is needed
Old 12-30-19, 05:08 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecopxxx
i used spray degreaser on the whole bike when i started out...i am convinced it stripped the grease out of all my bearings and caused free-hub failures and other issues. If you use it keep it away from bearings/seals. It is thin and can pass right thru seals. Now i wash with water only and not that often.
this!
Old 01-12-20, 01:53 AM
lazi_me

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WD works well for me. But keep it on the chain only.