Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Egads WalMart

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-17, 02:42 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The type of person who buys a bike at Walmart just takes it back and picks another one when it proves to be so badly assembled it falls apart. That's the experience of someone I know who bought one of those obese fully-suspended Walmart MTBs for his 12 year old kid. By the third week, the poor kid was on his 3rd bike which apparently was put together well enough to hold up more than a few miles.
Old 01-23-17, 04:02 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Phloom
Why people buy bicycles from Walmart is a complete mystery to me. Here in Canada, we have another "department" store called Canadian Tire and it's bicycles are just as bad. Our local bicycle coop sells refurbished second hand bikes that are way better and mostly cheaper.

I helped a friend get his Canadian Tire bike roadworthy. He got it brand new and the brakes barely worked. Just had to tighten the cables. Also, the headset was dangerously loose. But the forks were pointed in the right direction.
people buy bicycles from walmart because of price
Old 01-23-17, 05:05 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I got a Mongoose child's fat tire for my 5 year old grandson @ Walmart. It's a very nice little product with metal crank and chain guard for $70. We've bought several bikes for the children over the years from the LBS and handed them down to the younger children as they grow. While I would never buy the older children's bikes from Walmart, I also would not spend $400 on a bike for a 9 year old unless they were into more than just casual riding.
Old 01-23-17, 05:19 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Like VegasTriker said, Iv seen the same thing. You'll see that in the reviews of WM bikes, or how they just returned it to just go to another department store for a bike. I like the ones where they say how easy it was to assemble at home and how nice the bike is, while sharing a photo with the fork installed backwards, or cables wrapped awkwardly around the bike...

I bought my son a bike this Christmas from WM, though I had it shipped so I could assemble it myself. The kids bikes are usually okay, more so if you either check or do the assembly yourself.
Target, Walmart, and Toys-r-us have some overlap in the kids bikes they sell, with just different prices...but when it comes to the adult bikes, Target usually has a much nicer selection.
Old 01-24-17, 12:53 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
The thing is that you should always check a bike before you buy it, and if anything seems put together incorrectly, either pick a different one or fix it when you get home. It wouldn't be a bad idea to loosen screws and bolts and then retighten them just to make sure everything's torqued correctly. I'm pretty handy with a set of tools, so I can make sure everything's put together right.
Old 01-24-17, 02:17 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
But that's the thing about bicycles, nobody signs off on whether they're roadworthy or not after they've been assembled...

I like bike shops. I like WalMart. And I like the internet. I use all three sources for things.

What this discussion comes down to, is that we would expect the consumer to have the minimum sophistication to judge whether or not a purchase meets his or her needs. Some things, like pharmaceuticals, require additional input for safety and efficacy. Other things, like light bulbs...well. Should simply work or not. The market takes care of whether the brand sells for a second time. Bicycles are in the "consumer should know" bucket for some of us, and in the "consumer must be protected" bucket for others of us.

I'm not sure where I come down. Accident and fatality statistics might help, but then again, no one is paying for bike fatality forensics.

I've tried very carefully not to make any political statements in this post...
Old 01-24-17, 03:10 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Walmart bikes for little kids: Fine. They can't appreciate the difference, and more expensive bikes aren't much different in that category.
Walmart bikes for older kids and teens: Fine (just check assembly). Kids have lots of energy, and teens can do their own maintenance.
Adults: Average Joes: (Buys bike on impulse; rides around the block once, and never touches bike again): Fine.
Exercise Rider: Probably needs something a little better.
Commuter: Definitely wants something better.
Serious Cyclist: Yeah, like they'd even consider a Walmart bike!

Personally, all of the adults whom I personally know who bought Walmart bikes, fall into the Average Joe category: They buy a bike with the idea of getting some exercise and taking pleasant rides; ride around the block or to the park once, and discover that riding a bike when you're 45 and 70 lbs overweight is a lot harder than you remembered it being when you 12 and weighed 98 lbs. So they park the bike in the garage, where it sits untouched for 5 or 10 years, and then ends up being sold at their yard sale.
Old 01-24-17, 03:36 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
But that's the thing about bicycles, nobody signs off on whether they're roadworthy or not after they've been assembled. And apparently in the case of Walmart, nobody even checks.
Meh, that goes for all shops. There is an LBS (well, a small business that passes themselves off as one anyhow) near me who has a nice selection of vintage and new stock, that I'd never suggest to someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I've seen vintage bikes in there, which have supposedly been "fully refurbished", with holes through housing and rusty cables showing through. They have some interesting bikes, decent prices (even considering they still need overhauled), I'd buy from them just because I can inspect and do the work, but I'd never recommend them to an unexperienced buyer.
Old 01-24-17, 06:07 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
If Wallmart made an Airplane, would you fly in it???
The question should be..."Could you fly in it?"
Old 01-24-17, 06:10 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
IMO, if you are buying a bicycle from Walmart you are not a "cyclist" you are a bicycle rider. And, one that cannot afford or chooses not to buy a decent bike. It is what it is. And, you live with that.
Old 01-24-17, 07:00 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Your pretty much correct on that. However you should also add "mountain biker" to that list as well. (I think sometimes we forget about the red headed step brother called Mountain Biker around here lol)

The true experiences of MTB and "cycling" fully require that you have the proper most technically advanced equipment along with the intense, competitive and life risking knowledgeable etiquette(and in some cases the clique of friends) in order to get the fulfillment of the ego one desires lol....(Im trying to be as elitist as I can here lol)

This being said lol, you will not find that any of that crap at a box store lol.. What will one find at a box store...A nice riding bike for the average normal recreational rider.

Last edited by EnjoyinTheRide; 01-24-17 at 07:10 PM.
Old 01-24-17, 07:30 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
Your pretty much correct on that. However you should also add "mountain biker" to that list as well. (I think sometimes we forget about the red headed step brother called Mountain Biker around here lol)

The true experiences of MTB and "cycling" fully require that you have the proper most technically advanced equipment along with the intense, competitive and life risking knowledgeable etiquette(and in some cases the clique of friends) in order to get the fulfillment of the ego one desires lol....(Im trying to be as elitist as I can here lol)

This being said lol, you will not find that any of that crap at a box store lol.. What will one find at a box store...A nice riding bike for the average normal recreational rider.
Hmmmmmm. I wonder what would happen if one to actually ride a Walmart MTB like a real MTB? (I'm picturing parts scattered for several hundred feet along the trail, and ambulances. Of course....the ambulance is obligatory, regardless of the brand of bike, when MTBing....)
Old 01-24-17, 08:49 PM
Johnny Mullet
That Huffy Guy

Bikes: Old School Huffy Bikes

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I currently own 7 bikes and all but one are Huffy brand Walmart or "big box" bikes. I rode 900 miles in 2014, 1600 miles in 2015, and 2400 miles last year all on Huffy bikes. I got my bikes used on craigslist for cheaper than some of you spend on a water bottle and have zero complaints.

I have customized or personalized each and every one of my bikes according to it's purpose...........

Commuter.............

Touring..........

BMX.............

Group Rides...........

And the list goes on. The point here is that these bikes may have been assembled at a store at one time, but they survived and are still going strong.
Old 01-24-17, 09:31 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
There's something said for Walmart...Today I went into my LBS, and they had helmets on sale for $120-$390. Considering you can buy a helmet at Walmart for $40 or less these prices felt like a complete scam. No wonder why Walmarts are putting LBS out of business. No one new to cycling is going to pay that for a piece of foam.
Old 01-24-17, 09:33 PM
EnjoyinTheRide
Its all about the cruise

Bikes: 2014 Huffy Cranbrook , 2017 Huffy Classic Deluxe, 1972 Raleigh LTD 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
Hmmmmmm. I wonder what would happen if one to actually ride a Walmart MTB like a real MTB? (I'm picturing parts scattered for several hundred feet along the trail, and ambulances. Of course....the ambulance is obligatory, regardless of the brand of bike, when MTBing....)
Lol here you go lol

The bike actually made it lol.
Old 01-25-17, 11:33 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
What this discussion comes down to, is that we would expect the consumer to have the minimum sophistication to judge whether or not a purchase meets his or her needs. Some things, like pharmaceuticals, require additional input for safety and efficacy. Other things, like light bulbs...well. Should simply work or not. The market takes care of whether the brand sells for a second time. Bicycles are in the "consumer should know" bucket for some of us, and in the "consumer must be protected" bucket for others of us.
Well when it comes to bikes, at least with a bike shop they can adjust the bike for proper fit, and I'd like to think that they'd assemble it properly to begin with. With a Walmart bike, the consumer has to do all their own adjustments (if they even know how or know to do them in the first place), so I would hope that someone buying a Walmart bike would have the tools and knowledge of how to do that, as well as check it over to make sure it's been put together properly. Of course, the average consumer likely doesn't and won't. So it does leave the question as to who's responsible. When it comes to proper assembly, it should be on the shoulders of the seller, but since you can't always rely on that, best to check it yourself.
Old 01-25-17, 12:34 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Several years ago, in the autumn, in a regional department store here in New England, there was a sign in the store window that said they were looking for people to assemble bikes for the holidays. I considered doing it to pick up a few extra $$$. So I asked the store manager about it. He said "You do as much or as little as you want. You're paid per bike. The more you assemble the more you earn." So, I'm thinking that many 'assemblers' (like the one of the bike pictured above) just throw the thing together as quickly as possible to get it out on the showroom floor. Why take the time to straighten the handlebars, or look for that bolt you dropped when you could be well into assemblage of the next bike?

Dan
Which store? Do they still do it? I love putting bikes together, and if a properly assembled BSO helps someone get into bicycling, I'm all for it.

I assume the rate is pretty low. I wonder if I can write off the difference between that and my hourly rate as a business loss (or maybe a charitable deduction)?

Last edited by athrowawaynic; 01-25-17 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-25-17, 12:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Well when it comes to bikes, at least with a bike shop they can adjust the bike for proper fit, and I'd like to think that they'd assemble it properly to begin with.
That's what the LBS personnel and their club member friends who post gratuitous slams on BF about "unworthy" bicycle outlets would like everybody to think; that and bikes without an LBS provenance are the Spawn of Satan.
Old 01-25-17, 12:49 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by athrowawaynic
Which store? Do they still do it? I love putting bikes together, and if a properly assembled BSO helps someone get into bicycling, I'm all for it.

I assume the rate is pretty low. I wonder if I can write off the difference between that and my hourly rate as a business loss (or maybe a charitable deduction)?
What hourly rate do you take home assembling bicycles for an LBS?

Do you include on your taxes the $ value of the beer and cookies received from LBS groupie-Fan Boys?
Old 01-25-17, 01:20 PM
ClydeTim
Banned.

Bikes: Trek

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart? Ha, I've had some pretty shady work done at so called "high end shops" around here, and we have a lot of them!

I don't let Walmart touch my bikes and I don't let the LBS touch my bikes either.
Old 01-25-17, 01:42 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts

It was at a Benny's store (https://hellobennys.com, and there are job listing under the "About" tab. But you probably won't see the assembly jobs announced until the fall)...this particular store is in Middletown, RI.

Dan
Old 01-25-17, 02:50 PM
athrowawaynic

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9, 1987 Atala

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What hourly rate do you take home assembling bicycles for an LBS?

Do you include on your taxes the $ value of the beer and cookies received from LBS groupie-Fan Boys?
Obviously not serious. Time given to charity is not tax deductible. This would be similar.
Old 01-25-17, 03:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Obviously not serious. Time given to charity is not tax deductible. This would be similar.
I am serious about pay rates for typical LBS full time personnel, are they paid any better or receive better benefits than the typical full time employees of Big Box stores? In fact, do they receive any benefits besides a shop discount and perhaps the occasional cookies and beer donations from happy customers?
Old 01-25-17, 03:33 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Well when it comes to bikes, at least with a bike shop they can adjust the bike for proper fit, and I'd like to think that they'd assemble it properly to begin with. With a Walmart bike, the consumer has to do all their own adjustments (if they even know how or know to do them in the first place), so I would hope that someone buying a Walmart bike would have the tools and knowledge of how to do that, as well as check it over to make sure it's been put together properly. Of course, the average consumer likely doesn't and won't. So it does leave the question as to who's responsible. When it comes to proper assembly, it should be on the shoulders of the seller, but since you can't always rely on that, best to check it yourself.
The way things have gone with LBS -- especially those attached to brands such as Trek and Specalized -- they will charge you up to or more than $300 for a bike fit. Any other "bike fit" on a new bike is a gratuitous "you'll be right" adjustment to make the customer feel happy. It's then up to the customer to make the fine adjustments later as they find the act of riding a bicycle is so painful.

Just look at all the threads that have been started here over the years about (a) LBS and poor service and (b) pain while riding a new LBS bike.
Old 01-25-17, 08:57 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EnjoyinTheRide
Lol here you go lol

https://youtu.be/wkMnk_eCDQU

The bike actually made it lol.
The sound of those "brakes" is one of the funniest things I have ever heard!!!!!

The guy was extremely lucky to have escaped unscathed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.