Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Going to take a turn or two on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway track

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Going to take a turn or two on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway track

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-15, 04:49 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoke
Downtube42, Are you going to be riding in this years Indy TdC?

-Spoke
It's not currently on my plans. That could change, but my cycling calendar is pretty full.

Re: banking, they have never banned it before. Indy banking is only 11 degrees, unlike high bank tracks. I've never found it an issue. Pre ride instructions are for faster riders to stay on the outside, slower inside.
Old 02-12-15, 08:48 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
They started a New Event last year.

For $29 bucks they will time you for a fast one lap. 2.5 miles pedal your butt off.

Old 02-12-15, 11:37 AM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Bikes: Cannondale R700 USA Ed., & Motobecane Century Team & Motobecane Titanium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
It's not currently on my plans. That could change, but my cycling calendar is pretty full.

Re: banking, they have never banned it before. Indy banking is only 11 degrees, unlike high bank tracks. I've never found it an issue. Pre ride instructions are for faster riders to stay on the outside, slower inside.
Interesting. Out on the road you pass on the left (saying "On your left") and then on the track you pass on the right (saying "On your right")? Since I am thinking of doing the 75K (46 mile) ride out on the road, then come back on the track and turn a number of laps to reach my mileage goal (TBD). Seven laps will bring me up to 100K or 64 miles, but with 22 laps I would hit 100 miles. Decisions, decisions.

Ride On!
-Spoke
Old 02-12-15, 12:01 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Interesting. Out on the road you pass on the left (saying "On your left") and then on the track you pass on the right (saying "On your right")? Since I am thinking of doing the 75K (46 mile) ride out on the road, then come back on the track and turn a number of laps to reach my mileage goal (TBD). Seven laps will bring me up to 100K or 64 miles, but with 22 laps I would hit 100 miles. Decisions, decisions.

Ride On!
-Spoke
It is a race track ride.

Everyone turns left...Slow riders on left . The On and Off to the track is from the left.
30 MPH Pace Lines on the right.
Everyone else in the center.

Get in shape and go for the 100 while you are there.

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 02-12-15 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 01:55 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
It seems like one of the major attractions would be to go for a PB century, metric, half, whatever. The only hill is the bank?
Old 02-12-15, 05:02 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It is a race track ride.

Everyone turns left...Slow riders on left . The On and Off to the track is from the left.
30 MPH Pace Lines on the right.
Everyone else in the center.

Get in shape and go for the 100 while you are there.
This will be my first race track ride, so the faster cyclists passing on the right makes sense. Now for going for a century (100 miles), I'll have to give that some thought. With a mind numbing number of laps, I may need one of these:

So that begs the question: How do most cyclists keep track of the number of laps ridden on a race track ride?

-Spoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
LapCounter.jpg (87.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 02-12-15, 05:04 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

This will be my first race track ride, so the faster cyclists passing on the right makes sense. Now for going for a century (100 miles), I'll have to give that some thought. With a mind numbing number of laps, I may need one of these:

So that begs the question: How do most cyclists keep track of the number of laps ridden on a race track ride?

-Spoke
Just have Fun with what you want to ride.

We go only by the miles shown on the computer.

https://s256.photobucket.com/user/10w...view=slideshow

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 02-12-15 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 07:55 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,067 Times in 1,082 Posts

Ride On!
-Spoke
You might want to check the schedule before deciding. They close the track down fairly early, so a 100 mile road/track ride might be tough. Staying on the track there are obviously no traffic lights/stop signs or anything else to slow you down. That's why they offer a 100 mile track ride, but not a 100 mile road ride.

They started a New Event last year.

For $29 bucks they will time you for a fast one lap. 2.5 miles pedal your butt off.
I didn't know about that! Unfortunately I see it conflicts with the National 24 Hour Challenge in Michigan, so I won't be participating this year.

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
It seems like one of the major attractions would be to go for a PB century, metric, half, whatever. The only hill is the bank?
PB opportunity for sure, even if you stay away from the pacelines. The surface is great, you never have to venture more than three feet off the track for water or snacks, and it's dead flat aside from the banked turns. There are 160 turns

The biggest challenge is the monotony. Front stretch, turn, short chute, turn, back stretch (virtually identical to the front stretch) turn, short chute, turn, front stretch. Repeat 39 more times. The only saving grace is there is an endless stream of people to chase down and pass.
Old 02-12-15, 09:34 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
You might want to check the schedule before deciding. They close the track down fairly early, so a 100 mile road/track ride might be tough. Staying on the track there are obviously no traffic lights/stop signs or anything else to slow you down. That's why they offer a 100 mile track ride, but not a 100 mile road ride.
Well, I hope they do not close the track too early. The web site includes a variation of the 100-mile route as follows: "Finish the 75-Kilometer road route and finish the remaining mileage on the surface of the IMS." The start time for the 75K event is 7:30am and the end time for the 100-mile event is 4:00pm. Barring a major mechanical, that should be enough time. But we will see. Thanks for the info.

-Spoke
Old 02-12-15, 09:42 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
We require all our passing at Charlotte to be on the right as well-safety reasons. Bikes entering and exiting the track is on done the left. Anyone that passes on the left is disqualified in our events.
Old 02-12-15, 10:31 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
We require all our passing at Charlotte to be on the right as well-safety reasons. Bikes entering and exiting the track is on done the left. Anyone that passes on the left is disqualified in our events.
Only makes sense for a race track ride. But for a ride that starts on the track, then goes out on the road and then comes back onto the track, it requires you to shift gears mentally regard passing bases upon where you are. Out on the road it is natural to pass on the left. And I would imagine on a track it only seems natural to pass on the right.
Old 02-13-15, 07:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts

-Spoke
I did the now-discontinued Wolverine 200, which was (up to) 200 miles of laps around Belle Isle, in the Detroit River. The route was almost completely flat - the highest point on the route was about 5 feet above river level - and almost exactly 2.5 miles. So 200 miles was 40 laps. I kept track of the laps until about lap 30. My mind was going fuzzy by then. After that, I just checked my computer every time I passed the grandstand area and stopped when it got to 200.
Old 02-13-15, 08:06 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, I would think that if you are going for 100 miles you would just use your odo like on any other century. If you really want to count laps check to see if your bike computer lets you program lap distances to a tenth of a mile. I know my Polar CS600 lets me program lap distances but I don't recall what resolution it allows. I've ridden three RAGBRAIs now so passing on the left or the right or both sides at once makes no difference to me! Sounds like a fun ride, I will have to keep it in mind for the future, I don't think it will work for me this year. The closest I've come to a ride like this was two summers ago in Knoxville, Iowa where they let us take a lap on the dirt track at their fairgrounds. Can you say buhuhuhuhuhuhuhmpy?!

Oh, I think the Polar also lets you manually define a lap by punching a button while you are riding. So check to see if your computer has that function. If so you can just punch it every time you pass the grandstands or pits or where ever you want your laps to start and end.

Last edited by khutch; 02-13-15 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-13-15, 04:59 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Originally Posted by khutch
Yeah, I would think that if you are going for 100 miles you would just use your odo like on any other century. If you really want to count laps check to see if your bike computer lets you program lap distances to a tenth of a mile. I know my Polar CS600 lets me program lap distances but I don't recall what resolution it allows. I've ridden three RAGBRAIs now so passing on the left or the right or both sides at once makes no difference to me! Sounds like a fun ride, I will have to keep it in mind for the future, I don't think it will work for me this year. The closest I've come to a ride like this was two summers ago in Knoxville, Iowa where they let us take a lap on the dirt track at their fairgrounds. Can you say buhuhuhuhuhuhuhmpy?!

Oh, I think the Polar also lets you manually define a lap by punching a button while you are riding. So check to see if your computer has that function. If so you can just punch it every time you pass the grandstands or pits or where ever you want your laps to start and end.
You just go by your miles on your computer.

Old 02-14-15, 10:28 PM
gabkr

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a metric a few years ago at the Talladega Speedway, you did one lap and rode the rest through the countryside. You can't go too high in the turns or your pedals will scrape the pavement.
Old 02-15-15, 05:39 AM
freedomrider1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a tour in Ohio called GOBA we were going to be allowed to do laps on the Mid Ohio race course,but when we got there the big boys were out practicing. The lady at the gate said the drivers got a big kick out of the bikers coming through.
Old 02-16-15, 10:10 AM
khutch
Sumerian Street Rider

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Fuji Absolute 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You just go by your miles on your computer.
As a couple of us already said but I assume that the desire to count laps instead is in honor of the venue in this case and I can understand that.
Old 03-02-15, 09:32 PM
Spoke
Team Geritol

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An Update

Okay, it’s now March and the Indy TdC is about three and one half months away. So far four Fifty Plusers have raised their hand and said they will be at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the Indiana Tour de Cure on Saturday, June 20th. We are looking for any other plusers planning to ride the Indy TdC. I have officially abandoned the idea of forming a “Team 50+” and have joined some of the other Plusers on Team Red Indiana. But we do plan to have all the BF Fifty Plusers gather sometime before, during or after the ride. If you are planning to ride in the Indy TdC, let me know and I will keep everyone informed on any Plusers activities. If nothing else, we will gather for a photograph at the start of the ride!

Ride On!
-Spoke