Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Home (hardline) phone service

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Home (hardline) phone service

Old 01-01-22, 02:38 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 550 Posts
My first post of 2022. Golly. We have a true landline, with copper wires coming into the house. Northern Humboldt is remote; in 2005 the Big Blow (est. 90mph/144kph for 10 min. after several days of drenching rain) shut down all roads in and out and cut power for 36 hours; the phone still worked. We're also next to the seismically active triple junction (the Juan de Fuca, Pacific, and North American plates), and had a 6.2 earthquake a week ago, so as long as we have copper, we're keeping the phone.
Old 01-01-22, 04:15 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 297 Posts
Haven't had a landline since 2009 when I moved to Australia.
Old 01-04-22, 02:09 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 1,481 Posts
We have a telephone that is a landline device, as far as it knows. But really the old school phone cable is plugged into a Vonage box on that hangs off our router, so as far as our communications provider knows, we just have internet. (Also no cable).

The price of vonage has crept up over the past 10-15 years, I think it's almost $20/mo now. A friend gave me a Ooma device that he claims I could hook up and transfer my number to get $5/mo service for life, but I haven't gotten a round tuit
Old 01-15-22, 11:07 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2685 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 193 Posts
It's now a router for my internet connection that uses the phone line.

I had one of these until 2014. Bought a couple for $3 apiece in the late '80s from a hotel that was replacing them.

Now I use WIFI with "Text Now" software on a Samsung Galaxy A. I leave the tablet at home.

Last edited by Zinger; 01-15-22 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-25-22, 02:23 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1582 Post(s)
Liked 481 Times in 342 Posts
So, a bit of background on why I asked.

Back during all the Christmas shopping a box truck backed into my driveway and severed the phone line connection from the pole to house. We suspect it was FedEx, but Amazon was also here the same day and unfortunately my camera didn't pick up that aspect since the line is so small. The phone line has been hit multiple times here. The last time they added something they called a "wedge" (IIRC) which was a service loop tied up such that if something hit it there would be extra. That got hit some time back, so the line was quite low. As mentioned, I don't have phone service and it didn't seem to be a big deal to us, but our realtor whom we are friendly with mentioned that not having a phone line to the house could be a potential problem for buyers, particularly older buyers, so....

I contacted the phone company on their "downed line" hotline and told them about the issue. First question, are you a customer? No.
Their solution to this was to come out and roll the line up and zip tie it on the pole end, cut a couple of feet off the house end and just tucked it down the side of the house by the power meter weatherhead. I contacted them back in regard to actually fixing it and the repair cost is North of $200, but here is the kicker.

They didn't say a word about the aspect that they were running Fiber through the neighborhood not 3 weeks after this incident. I didn't know when I posted the thread. The new cable is taking over for the "copper" lines as many of you have already mentioned. So, it will be phone/data/tv service available all through the fiber and they are offering a pretty good introductory deal...

Burns my cheeks a bit that they would happily have charged me to replace the line that would have been defunct just after the repair. This is a small part of the iceberg that led me not to want to deal with this company years ago, and why I didn't bother to run phone lines. They are the most crooked of crooks.
Old 01-25-22, 06:01 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3321 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
Burns my cheeks a bit that they would happily have charged me to replace the line that would have been defunct just after the repair. This is a small part of the iceberg that led me not to want to deal with this company years ago, and why I didn't bother to run phone lines. They are the most crooked of crooks.
I suspect it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

The fiber stuff is likely a completely different department from the copper stuff.
Likes For njkayaker: