Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

broken Campagnolo Gran Turismo?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-22, 01:53 AM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I had a flat in my rear tire, so took off the wheel and replaced the inner tube, I kept fiddling with the bike a bunch of times though because I installed it in correctly, so had to take the back wheel off and put it back on a few times, I noticed though that my derailleur is messed up and is all the way into the gears! did I break it or do I have the wheel installed incorrectly? I attached a couple of pictures, and one off of the internet showing how the derailleur should be!

Old 07-30-22, 05:42 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
I suspect that the upper pivot spring is either disengaged or broken. If that is the case, consider replacing the derailleur.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 07-30-22, 09:00 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Having a hard time visualizing just how a wheel is “installed incorrectly” but I suppose that the derailer (I’m not French) could have been damaged in the process. Is it safe to assume that everything was in working order prior to fixing the flat tire? While replacing the derailer with a new one is likely the best course of action in this case, I personally, would take a whack at rebuilding it! I’m pretty sure there’s a YouTube video on how to do it .
Old 07-31-22, 12:17 AM
UnD3R0aTh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I uploaded a video here
I'm absolutely positive it wasn't like this before I fiddled with the wheel, even though the bike still runs and shifts between the two smallest gears, it cannot make any further shifts because the derailieur is physically obstructed by the freewheel
Old 07-31-22, 08:04 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
As already mentioned, I vote for checking the hanger mount pivot spring first. They do break occasionally or maybe just became disengaged during the extra movement used to mount the wheel. Old parts eventually get tired and give up sometimes. I'm no Campy expert but I would guess you could find a replacement spring somewhere if it's broken.