Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon v Specialized *endurance*

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-23, 01:10 PM
cweb99

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 58 Posts

I’m divided by an Canyon Endurance and Specialized Roubaix. The Canyon is cheaper with better components yet the Specialized has the future shock. What say you?
Old 10-10-23, 01:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Get one or both. Which calls to you more? Red bikes might be faster! You'll find people here that like one but not the other. People that like both. And people that like neither. You won't know what category you might fall in till you get at least one of them.

The big difference in what you need to decide is which gives you the position on the bike you wish to have. Do you want to sit up, lean a little or lean a lot? Some like only one of those positions. Some like all of those positions. Some can't stand any of those positions and will always be searching for the holy grail of bike fit.

Welcome to BF!

Last edited by Iride01; 10-10-23 at 01:17 PM.
Old 10-10-23, 01:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by cweb99
I’m divided by an Canyon Endurance and Specialized Roubaix. The Canyon is cheaper with better components yet the Specialized has the future shock. What say you?
I'd go for the Canyon - indeed, I DID go for the Canyon! - because I don't feel much need for extra shock absorption. My experience with my Endurace is that it already does a great job of reducing road chatter to "information" rather than discomfort. That is, you can feel the surface you're riding on, but it doesn't chuck you out of the saddle or rattle your hands to numbness.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-10-23, 01:27 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I've never ridden either, but my wife used to ride a Roubaix with FS, and now rides a Caledonia (which does not have any type of shock system). She has not complained about missing the Future Shock, and she is all about cush over sportiness.
Old 10-10-23, 01:29 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Both of those bike models come in many different finishing levels. Which are you looking at?
Canyon has new and old Endurace models and levels right now.
Specialized has Roubaix levels with varying future shock tech.

For $2800 I can get a Specialized Roubaix SL8. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=349866-216946
- Carbon frame and fork
- Tiagra 10 speed drivetrain
- Future Shock 3.1- the lowest level, spring actuated, not adjustable.
- House brand stock wheels and tires
- Clearance for 38mm tires

For $2200 I can get a Canyon Endurace CF 8. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...=349866-216946
- Carbon frame and fork
- Ultegra 11 speed drivetrain
- Fulcrum 900db wheels and Schwalbe One tires
- Clearance for 35mm tires

For $3000 I can get a Canyon Endurace CF7 etap. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FBK
- Carbon frame and fork
- SRAM Rival etap 12 speed drivetrain
- DT Endurance LN wheels and Schwalbe One tires

For $2700 I can get a Canyon Endurace CF7 di2. https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bi...nfarbe=BK%2FBK
- Carbon frame and fork
- 105 di2 12 speed drivetrain
- Fulcrum 900db wheels and Schwalbe One tires

Based on these bikes that are at/under the $3000 mark, I dont think its even debatable which brand you should buy. The debate would only be over which Canyon you should buy.
...but there is geometry and that is, to me, way more important that price or spec list.
Look at the geometry of the two bikes you are considering and see if anything sticks out- good or bad. Nobody wants a bike that is too twitchy for them or too sluggish for them. Nobody wants a bike that they sit atop if they like to feel like they are sitting in it. Etc etc.

Bluntly, an adjustable spring headset is 430th on my list of things that I want in a paved road bike. Get some high quality 32mm tires, set them up tubeless at a proper pressure, and consider that your smoothing suspension. Or buy a Redshift stem with the hundreds and hundreds you save on getting a Canyon, and used that to take off even more vibration and bumps.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-10-23, 02:22 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
I used to have a 2019 Canyon Endurance CF7, but sold it during covid and later ended up with a 2021 Roubaix Expert. Both are great bikes, but if I were in your position, I'd go with the Canyon with 105 Di2 ($2700).

The Future Shock is great, but you can get a Redshift Shockstop stem for the bigger 1-1/4" Canyon steerer. You'll get much more for your money with the Canyon. I had zero issues with my Canyon and it fit beautifully. I only sold it because I had my eye on a Ti gravel bike at the time that was supposed to be my all in one bike (that didn't work as planned lol)
Likes For FrankTuna:
Old 10-10-23, 03:38 PM
cweb99

Thx for replies. To add I’m riding a 2015 Allez Comp. I love the bike but want to upgrade to an more relaxed ride and a bike that will get me up the hills a bit easier.

the price of the Canyon is what really caught my eye.
Old 10-10-23, 04:23 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
Thx for replies. To add I’m riding a 2015 Allez Comp. I love the bike but want to upgrade to an more relaxed ride and a bike that will get me up the hills a bit easier.

the price of the Canyon is what really caught my eye.
Your chainring/cassette ratios have more to do with getting up hills than the specific bike they are on. And they can be changed.
Old 10-10-23, 04:36 PM
cweb99

Originally Posted by David_Harris
Your chainring/cassette ratios have more to do with getting up hills than the specific bike they are on. And they can be changed.
yes but I have the older 105 5800 cassette. I would need to find a used cassette and my need a longer cage. Currently have a 11-28. Correct me if wrong about getting a new cage.

also want a cull carbon frame anyway
Old 10-10-23, 04:39 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
yes but I have the older 105 5800 cassette. I would need to find a used cassette and my need a longer cage. Currently have a 11-28. Correct me if wrong about getting a new cage.

12 speed 105 could give you a 11-34 or 11-36! That'll help up those hills.
Old 10-10-23, 04:42 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts

Is your 105 5800 a -ss or a -gs derailleur. I ran a 11-32 on a previous bike that had a 105 5800 group set with a -gs DR. A new cassette, chain and if needed a mid cage -gs DR won't cost near as much as the new bike.

Don't ignore weight if you do a lot of hills. 5 lbs can make some hills disappear.

But a new bike is a new bike!
Old 10-10-23, 04:42 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by David_Harris
This is a solution that makes no sense, because it doesn't involve getting a new bike.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-10-23, 04:56 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
I looked seriously at both these bikes. In the end I chose the Canyon Endurace in a fairly high spec at £4500. The equivalent spec Roubaix would have been £7000 and there was no way I could justify that price difference.

Even though my local roads are pretty rough, the Canyon soaks it all up nicely with 30 mm wide tyres on 22 mm rims. The integrated carbon bar/stem and split carbon seatpost are also very effective in absorbing road chatter. I would imagine the Roubaix FutureShock is even more plush, but I don’t think I would need it.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-11-23, 06:16 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I don't see the upside with the extra price difference in some of these brands. Like Pete said above, what does that extra $2500 really get you, other than a logo on the bike?

And I agree, with 28-30mm tires and the lower pressure - not sure if extra shock type gizmos are really required. I see those things as marketing gimmicks...
Old 10-11-23, 06:55 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
My only experience is with my wife's Canyon Ultimate and my new Aeroad. I love both these bikes and would buy another Canyon without question. Add in the great prices and it's a no-brainer. FWIW I paid $4000 (new) for my Aeroad and I'd rather ride it than any other bike I've had in 40 yrs of cycling.
Old 10-11-23, 04:00 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
I am the opposite of hard -- in fact, I am soft and pudgy -- but I want a simple road bike without any moving suspension parts. That was why I chose a Cannondale Synapse over both the Trek Domaine and Specialized Roubaix. The Canyon Endurace straddles this difference with its VCLS seat post, and I would have got one but the geometry is slightly long for me.
Old 10-11-23, 04:20 PM
cweb99

I’m probably going the Canyon route to save some cash to use for beer. I’m thinking I don’t really need the front shock. Thanks again
Old 10-11-23, 04:59 PM
Jklotz

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
I’m probably going the Canyon route to save some cash to use for beer. I’m thinking I don’t really need the front shock. Thanks again
In my experience, run some tubeless 32's w/ no more than 60psi and you won't miss the shock one bit, nor will you miss the extra weight and complexity they add.
Old 10-11-23, 05:34 PM
andydallas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Endurace and Roubaix, both with electric shifting (SRAM Force on Canyon, SRAM Rival on the Roubaix, thses are the 2023 models not the most recent release. The Endurance is a little "harsher' bike, a little more of a racer, the Roubaix is more comfortable. I use the Roubaix for long rides (and ride it the most) and the Endurance if I want to try and move faster (I am not fast). Both bikes are very, very good. For about the same price you get the upgraded groupset with the Canyon and the one piece cockpit , the one thing I do not like about the Canyon is it has the one piece cocpit, which looks great, but doesn't give you as much room to customize.

If I was going to just have one it would be the Roubaix. but I still love the Endurace.

Both are great bikes,,,very little difference but I have tried to tell you have I feel with over 1000 miles on each

andy
Old 10-11-23, 07:48 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
i have put 2000 miles on my Endurace cf8 since July 22nd. I am old and fat and man do I really like putting miles on this thing. I live where the roads are pretty crappy and i actually just put on a new set of tires only because the rear squared off so bad, they come with 30mm up front and 32mm on the back and i decided to try 30mm all the way around. I put 60 miles on them yesterday and was pleased enough that if the weather permits going to take them out for a 100 miler tomorrow. for the money not sure you can do any better.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 10-11-23, 09:45 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
To the Op's original question. I wouldn't buy any bike just because of some feature like "Future Shock" I'm not saying that feature is no good, but there are aftermarket shock absorbing stems you could get if you really needed to.

Also, if gearing is a big issue, something to consider is getting a gravel bike and putting a set of road wheels on it. You may simply be able to put road tires on the wheels it comes with. You'll most likely get a sub-compact chain set with something like 48/31 or 46/30. And certainly a 34T or perhaps 36T large cog in back. Gravel bikes tend to have geometries similar to endurance bikes. Though of course, there's a range of options.
Old 10-12-23, 12:05 PM
cweb99

Ok so now I’m looking at gravel bikes. Knew this wouldn’t be easy lol. Thinking of just keeping my Allez for the flats and get a gravel for long rides and hills, and occasional gravel.
Old 10-12-23, 12:21 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Ok so now I’m looking at gravel bikes. Knew this wouldn’t be easy lol. Thinking of just keeping my Allez for the flats and get a gravel for long rides and hills, and occasional gravel.
The 2 road bikes you were considering are quite capable of handling occasional gravel. I wouldn't choose a gravel bike unless you intend to run tyres much wider than 32 mm. Otherwise there isn't much point.
Old 10-12-23, 01:55 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
Not a bad idea. Especially if your current bike is still a good road bike. The gravel bike can be used as an endurance road bike without much performance penalty if you put a set of road wheels or at least road tires on it. But then you get the lower gearing and the potential for much wider tires.

I actually went the other way around. I started with a gravel bike to get gearing that was better suited to my abilities and to have more options. Built up a set of road wheels. Then I decided I wanted a true road bike (as well as a second bike, just in case), and recently got a Trek Domane endurance bike.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
The 2 road bikes you were considering are quite capable of handling occasional gravel. I wouldn't choose a gravel bike unless you intend to run tyres much wider than 32 mm. Otherwise there isn't much point.
32 mm are still pretty narrow by gravel standards. Though my Trek Domane endurance bike, will go up to 38 mm. Of course it all depends on just how rough the surface is. But as I mentioned earlier, you also get lower gearing with a gravel bike, which is something the OP was interested in.
Old 10-12-23, 03:53 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Warranty work with Canyon bikes requires you shipping the bike back to them. That was a non-starter for me. People have posted about problems with their Canyon bikes and having to take them apart and ship them back and I prefer to deal with a local bike shop business instead. I always support local businesses with their local employees over corporations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.