Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

HOT TOPIC: "Toe-Overlap" What is your opinion...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 08:46 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I read a topic about some rider complaining that he was hitting front wheel with his shoes while turning.

Some of the responses:

"Every bike I've owned has had toe overlap. Not a big deal. Just be aware of it when making very slow speed, sharp turns."

"You just get used to it and learn to stop pedaling on sharp turns."

"Ignore this. It is common and a non-issue. "

"Most of my road bikes have had toe overlap."

"If it was a huge issue manufacturers would have stopped building bikes with geometry that produces it decades ago. The vast majority of people believe this is a non-issue. "

"Learn not to pedal in slow turns"

"Most of my riding is in the Mission in San Francisco, which requires an emergency maneuver at low speeds about every other block, so I view toe overlap as a (literally) fatal flaw.

"Unfortunately, toe overlap becomes a huge problem cycling alpine passes. I could not handle one in traffic."

"Toe overlap is a problem, especially when you are racing a cyclocross bike on uphill steep switchbacks."

"Toe overlap is a result of other critical design factors and cannot always be avoided especially on smaller frames."

What is your opinion. Is it "OK" or the problem is with wrong frame size or geometry that can't fit the rider?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
toe_overlap1.jpg (37.0 KB, 54 views)
ToeOverlap.jpg (104.8 KB, 52 views)
Old 02-26-14, 08:53 AM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I pedal into my turns and don't hit the wheel. You're not supposed to be turning the wheel much but leaning into the turn more. I turn slowly sometimes in traffic, and I ride a small frame. It's a semi-compact geometry so I probably should be having this issue, but haven't run into it yet. I can turn slowly fine. Or maybe I unconsciously don't pedal on slow turn? I'll try to notice later today.

Last edited by zymphad; 02-26-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 09:00 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Seriously? You started your own toe overlap thread? You could have at least made it a poll. Not an issue now and it wasn't an issue in the last couple dozen toe overlap threads.
Old 02-26-14, 09:01 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
The compromises necessary to eliminate overlap are substantial.

For smaller bikes it's virtually unavoidable, and with a little bit of thought it becomes a non-issue. For example if you want to make a u-turn on a narrow sidewalk by turning left then you just turn the bars left while doing a stutter downstroke with the left pedal (and if you have clipless you can pull up on the right pedal as well). This keeps the right pedal out of the way of the wheel, you still have power, and you can make the turn. When coasting through turns you should have your cranks vertical (a roadie thing) rather than horizontal (a mountain bike thing). Stuff like that.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 02-26-14, 09:21 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
All the answers are in the OP already.

(I didn't realize it was a "Hot Topic")

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-26-14, 09:28 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol. For any shorties on this forum, toe lap is unavoidable.
Old 02-26-14, 09:32 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Old 02-26-14, 09:48 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Generally I'm not riding slow enough for it to matter. If you really need to ride that slowly, get a trike
Old 02-26-14, 09:56 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
OP, realize when people say don't pedal in a slow turn, they're talking about really slow, really sharp turns, such as a U-Turn in a parking lot at 2mph.

At anything approaching normal riding speed, you don't turn sharp enough to hit your foot.

And if you do rub your foot turning at 2mph in the parking lot, it's not trick to keep going, either, pedaling through it, turning less sharply for a second, or back pedaling.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-26-14, 10:25 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Both my bikes have overlap. On the road bike it is minimal and has never been an issue. The track bike however has overlap back to the ball of the foot and you can't just position the crank to clear. I have trapped my foot on the wrong side of the wheel in slow speed turns. That will wake you up.
Old 02-26-14, 10:35 AM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lopek77
I read a topic about some rider complaining that he was hitting front wheel with his shoes while turning.

Some of the responses:

"Every bike I've owned has had toe overlap. Not a big deal. Just be aware of it when making very slow speed, sharp turns."

"You just get used to it and learn to stop pedaling on sharp turns."

"Ignore this. It is common and a non-issue. "

"Most of my road bikes have had toe overlap."

"If it was a huge issue manufacturers would have stopped building bikes with geometry that produces it decades ago. The vast majority of people believe this is a non-issue. "

"Learn not to pedal in slow turns"

"Most of my riding is in the Mission in San Francisco, which requires an emergency maneuver at low speeds about every other block, so I view toe overlap as a (literally) fatal flaw.

"Unfortunately, toe overlap becomes a huge problem cycling alpine passes. I could not handle one in traffic."

"Toe overlap is a problem, especially when you are racing a cyclocross bike on uphill steep switchbacks."

"Toe overlap is a result of other critical design factors and cannot always be avoided especially on smaller frames."

What is your opinion. Is it "OK" or the problem is with wrong frame size or geometry that can't fit the rider?

What exactly are you looking for beyond the 10 quotes in your OP? They seem to pretty much cover the topic.
Old 02-26-14, 10:42 AM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it possible to just change cleat placement?
Old 02-26-14, 10:47 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 731 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
Is it possible to just change cleat placement?
Bad idea. You want your cleat placed correctly on the pedal to get your foot in the right position in relation to the pedal, and avoid foot comfort issues and knee problems.

Moving it to effect toe clearance is asking for trouble.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 02-26-14, 11:09 AM
lopek77
Banned

Bikes: With round 700c & 26" wheels

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dmcdam
What exactly are you looking for beyond the 10 quotes in your OP? They seem to pretty much cover the topic.
So your opinion is no opinion? This issue sounds like formula 1 problem...yes, its very fast, but not comfy, hot, loud and you can drive it only on a race track. Not everyone is a racer on a straight road.
Old 02-26-14, 11:12 AM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So your opinion is no opinion? This issue sounds like formula 1 problem...yes, its very fast, but not comfy, hot, loud and you can drive it only on a race track. Not everyone is a racer on a straight road.
Toe overlap will always exist in smaller frames..except in the trek women's specific road or cyclocross bike that was designed by trek for a pro women's racer, which they claimed didn't have overlap even in her xs frame size. Found it. https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/new...st-look-38133/
Regardless, just be vigilant when riding at low speeds or trying to make tight u turns. Practice makes perfect.
Old 02-26-14, 11:16 AM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What the hell are you talking about? My opinion is that all of the quotes in your OP are valid and cover off the good, the bad, and the ugly of toe overlap. Some see it as a big problem, while others don't. The reasons people view it one way or another are many - type of riding, experience, geometry, etc. You will not get a consensus or any 'right answer' on this. You clearly did some reading on this topic before posting this thread - were you not able to infer the same or do you just want to beat a dead horse? Any further discussion will garner a bunch of the same answers in your OP, so it's up to you to interpret and draw your own conclusions from there.
Old 02-26-14, 11:18 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Hey, people riding hybrids are much cooler than people riding road bikes. We talk, we laugh, we look around and even have time to stop and take a picture here and there on each and every ride. Road bikers are more like mad, caged beasts. All they see is their front wheel and average speed on their cycling computer. Try to take their attention away for a second and they may bite ;-) As I see it Road bikes are for speed and racing, while Hybrid bikes are for fun, going places and with pretty good speed if you need it.
Old 02-26-14, 11:20 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Rider shoe size.
This is something that manufacturers can't control at all. I have size 47 shoes on a 54-58cm frame, chances are I'm going to have overlap issues.

Its an annoyance. My first road bike was a Specialized Allez (56cm), and it had what I would describe as serious toe overlap issues. Never crashed as a result, but definitely had to be VERY careful in low speed handling. My new bike is a Bianchi Infinito (57cm) and I have zero toe overlap. The main reviewer complaint about the Infinito is that handling is "slow" compared with a racier bike (Madone/Tarmac). Personally, I love the handling, the extra stability really improves the descents, while my Allez had all kinds of wobble issues. At the same time, I could see the handling being unacceptable for crit racing.
Old 02-26-14, 11:43 AM
megalowmatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My opinion is it's OK.
Old 02-26-14, 11:46 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
The solution is quite obvious: Electronically adjustable crank lengths that are triggered when the fork turns past 'x' degrees. They cause your feet to retract to 150 mm cranks until you finish turning, then revert back to normal length.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 02-26-14, 12:31 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
The solution is quite obvious: Electronically adjustable crank lengths that are triggered when the fork turns past 'x' degrees. They cause your feet to retract to 150 mm cranks until you finish turning, then revert back to normal length.
I would just have a clutch coupling so that you decouple both crank arms and can totally stop pedalling with the outside foot. It would finally make a use for one legged drills.

EDIT: Oops, would have to be two clutches.

Last edited by RollCNY; 02-26-14 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-26-14, 12:36 PM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Attached Images
SC-over-lapping-toes.jpg (64.7 KB, 246 views)
Old 02-26-14, 12:41 PM
Gatorfreak

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm short with big feet so I'm going to have toe overlap. You learn to work around it during tight maneuvers at slow speed. Never a problem during normal riding. Here's a pic of me riding that demonstrates the obvious toe overlap when you have a small bike with big feet:

Attached Images
images.jpg (13.5 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-26-14, 01:15 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
It's just another burden we well endowed have to endure.

(It's twoo it's twoo!)
Old 02-26-14, 01:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
My wife just got a new bike and noticed, while riding, that it has toe overlap. She never had a bike with that feature. I told her she'll only notice it when going very slowly, and that satisfied her. My wife is not very sure-footed on a bike, and if she can handle it, so can nearly everyone else.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.