Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Katakura Silk re-envisioned

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Katakura Silk re-envisioned

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 06:41 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
It has a small Silk decal on the fork.
No kidding? Would you mind posting a picture of the decal, please? I sure didn't know of a connection between Nishiki and Katakura Silk; if so, it opens up a whole 'nother intriguing conversation! Thanks for sharing that little factoid!
Old 10-06-15, 06:50 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Very nice, @AZORCH. My only quibble: Isn't that front fender kind of short? Did it get cut off at some point?
You've hit my personal peeve right on the head. That's the length of the fender that came with my Cycles Toussaint, the bike I pulled the most of the kit from. I dunno why that length, but it's really too short to be useful, which is why I've added the mud flaps. I've actually got an extra rear fender and have considered modding it and replacing the front. Irritating, ain't it, when the product design - in this case the fender - is 99% right...only to have that 1% fail be the entire point of the product!
Old 10-06-15, 08:26 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
That's a real stunner - even the bell is shiny. Nice, creative build. It must feel good to get that back on the road. Enjoy.
Old 10-07-15, 10:22 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
Originally Posted by AZORCH
No kidding? Would you mind posting a picture of the decal, please? I sure didn't know of a connection between Nishiki and Katakura Silk; if so, it opens up a whole 'nother intriguing conversation! Thanks for sharing that little factoid!
Here you go.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
silk.jpg (90.0 KB, 334 views)

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 10-08-15 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Re-add picture
Old 10-07-15, 02:48 PM
inkandsilver

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Great bike, and great posts about it! Very interesting stuff. Thanks.
Old 01-12-24, 11:22 PM
RG604
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wrong animal

Originally Posted by AZORCH

I had a wild hair the other day. (I wonder if anyone else uses this phrase to mean that one is pursuing a sudden, compulsive, and possibly irrational idea...or is it something my Dad made up, along with a thousand and one other odd and personal colloquialisms?)

Anyway, wild hairs....I had one recently. The afternoon's task was to organize the bikes and parts and other cycling related detritus hanging about the place. One of those things literally hanging about is an 80's era Katakura Silk road bike. Not long after acquiring this one I realized I had become a member of a small and rather exclusive club of enthusiastic chrome Silk owners, one of whom bemoaned the fact that there was only room enough to fit a 700 x 25 tire/fender combo, and despite my proclivity to never take such statements of fact as gospel I never attempted to fit anything wider than a 25. And thus, much as I enjoy this bike, after a while I found myself riding the Silk less and less in favor of those bikes with wider tires. I even went so far as to put this bike up for sale a few months ago. (Thankfully, it never sold.)

So: The wild hair. As I stood staring at a row of bikes lining my ceiling, my gaze fell upon two that were side by side - the Silk and the elegant looking 650b Cycles Toussaint Velo-Routier. I have enjoyed the VR but unlike my Boulder, it never seems to "want" to go faster and I've been considering tearing it down, selling the frame, and using the kit to build up a 650b with a little more spirited ride. Out of curiosity, I pulled the wheel set from the two bikes and swapped in the 650b wheels on the Silk. I don't really know what I was thinking would happen, but I certainly wasn't imagining that they'd just pop right in place with plenty of spin room...but after removing the short reach Superbe brake calipers they did precisely that.

I thought what the heck is going on? This isn't supposed to happen. And certainly it shouldn't be that easy. I decided to see if there'd be adequate room for fenders, thinking that would be the deal breaker. But a rough placement made it very clear that I had ample room for the 650b x 38 tires and mud guards.

Which is how I found myself tearing down two otherwise perfectly functioning bikes, hanging one naked fork and frame, and transferring nearly the entire kit from it over to the other. Measuring spacing and lengths along the way I was surprised to find that I could achieve a very similar the fit and positioning as on my Boulder Brevet, which fits me perfectly. Although there are certainly differences between the two, the major points of contact relative to the rider and to bike frame geometry are essentially the same. (See illustration below for comparison. The Boulder geometry is indicated by the red line overlaying the photo of the Silk.) Toe overlap at the front fender on the Silk is minimal, and similar to the clearance on the Boulder.

As with all of my bikes, I've made some effort to research the background of the makers. There's not a lot of information available about Katakura Silk which I find peculiar because they were a major player, sometimes likened to a Japanese version of Raleigh. What information I could find was a little sketchy. But a couple of catalogs had been posted online and seemed to indicate that some models were built with sportif or randonneuring characteristics in mind.

As I indulged my wild hair, I thought it would be interesting to conduct a new online search for Katakura Silk. I hadn't done so in a couple of years and I came across a couple of nuggets I'd not discovered a few years ago.

Of particular interest to me is this catalog page from 1986 that features both sportif (Grand Sport) and Randonneuse models of Katakura Silk. The Randonneuse model is fitted with 650 x 38 tires! Although this version is designed for cantilever brakes and has posts to accommodate them - which my PX model does not - it didn't take a huge leap of faith for me to speculate that if Katakura was designing one model to fit 650b, perhaps other models could also accommodate that size as well. After all, why retool the whole line? (Yes, I'm prone to such unreasonable leaps of logic.)

Cycles Peugeot states that the French randonneur aesthetic was introduced to Japan in the 1960's, and certainly there has been a very enthusiastic following in the years since that time. As readers of Bicycle Quarterly know, the Japanese have taken this model, tailored it into a distinctly Japanese-taste randonneur, and brought about notable improvements such as the Rinko system of packing a bike for travel.

The nugget was found at the Cycles Grand Bois website where I discovered a couple of Katakura Silk bike restorations featured in their online gallery. The bike below was transformed from this:

Into this:

If I interpret the details correctly, this bike was restored for a Mr. Sekishima from Hiroshima in 2009. It's a very beautiful and tastefully elegant re-interpretation. Importantly, I found myself thinking how much better designed the Silk seemed for a Japanese-style randonneuse with fat tires than otherwise.

For the time being I am using dual pivot long reach Tektro R559 side pull calipers. Others have used these very successfully for 650b conversions, and if I decide to change to center-pulls I should have no problem finding someone to take the Tektro brakes off my hands. Otherwise, pretty much everything else transferred directly over from the VR.

All in all, this has been a relatively simple conversion. On a short test ride, the quality is typical of high volume/low pressure 650b, and if the frame responds on those tires as it did with the narrower 700c tires - i.e., if I can achieve a cushy, spirited ride - then I'll be very happy indeed. Aesthetically, I feel this bike is respectful of the Japanese spirit of randonneuring. This greatly appeals to me. Functionally, I'm hoping for a bike that meets my needs for comfort, spirit, and the occasional crappy road. Let's face it: If I could only have one bike ever, the Boulder is my bicycle. I'm good with that. But I love to experiment with my other rides, and I'm feeling like this will make the Katakura Silk a more ridable member of my bike stable, without any loss of the class it already has.
Very sorry for such a late reply, but your Dad was probably saying "Wild hare", as in the rabbit. Hard to catch.
Old 01-13-24, 07:11 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,854 Times in 2,240 Posts
^^ Wrong. ^^
Old 01-13-24, 11:58 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 6,732 Times in 2,619 Posts
Seems like the right opportunity for this classic:

Likes For nlerner:
Old 01-13-24, 12:26 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 411 Posts
Onto to the subject of the thread...with those red cables the Silk reminds of a way nicer version of the all-chrome 11.8 Voyageur. Fantastic bike, nice to see the thread regardless of how it was resurrected.

Old 01-13-24, 01:23 PM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 142 Posts
To add to the Katakura Silk history, once took on caretaking responsibility of a 1964 "Speed Master" from a gentleman who served in the US Army in Tokyo during those years. A local Japanese racer sponsored by KS helped him acquire a custom, which he rode for many years. Originally equipped with Campagnolo, Universal, Ambrosio, etc., it was refitted with Suntour when it came to me. Really interesting frame with super long point lugs but some filet joints too.

Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 01-13-24, 01:54 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked 4,854 Times in 2,240 Posts

In my case, I woke up early (a Sat) - lovely Silk thread resurrected. Reading resurrection post, might say 'I got a wild hair up my butt'; glad it wasn't a 'wild hare'. Old enough to remember the saying and with 2 older and rambunctious brothers, mother used 'wild hair' in any number of colloquialisms (so to speak). Was told more than once, 'take your wild hair antics outa my living room'. Luckily, a big house.
Old 01-13-24, 02:04 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
My brother had a Katakura Silk at some point 40 years ago. He was in the navy, so it was probably a Japanese purchase as he was on an aircraft carrier for a time and traveled there. As an aside, I believe the serial number on an 85 Centurion Ironman I formerly owned pointed to Katakura manufacture.
Likes For sd5782:
Old 04-10-24, 10:29 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked 993 Times in 492 Posts

Classic, Neal. I have (sadly) been that stick figure on more than one occasion...
Old 04-10-24, 11:20 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked 836 Times in 418 Posts
Katakura Silk bicycles have a long history here in Japan, and the earliest models, going back a century or so ago, were utility cycles used by deliverymen. They are considered higher quality bikes than other common Japanese brands, and are still making biked today. The rule of thumb when determining the quality level and price point is to look at the lugs and cable routing. Higher-end frames will have fancier lugs, and the top-of-the line versions internal cable routing for the rear brake cable. In Japan, the latter versions usually sell for double what the base and midrange models sell for. Katakura Silk still makes bicycles today.

One came up for sale here a few weeks ago, a complete bike with its original documents and “Rinko” bag (a bag used to carry bikes on trains). Unfortunately, my wife would kill me if I bought another bike, and I don’t have any more hiding places for bikes.