Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Those Peculiar Flats that

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 07:42 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

You just can't explain.. About once a year you go through a string of flats that just don't make sense. When changing flats, I am in no hurry. I painstakingly take the flat apart and search for why it happened. So, I go through a series of Three flats. After maybe having no flats for a whole year.
Flat One. My bike buddy has a set of gloves, I don't . So he performs most of the tube change. No signs of any objects lodged in the tire. The rim and rim tape seem smooth to the touch. . We find a small pinhole lake facing directly away from the rim. The tire goes in easily .I replace it with a new tube. . Flat two. On the way home, my tire starts to repeatedly loose pressure. I make it all the way home. Before the day is out, the tire is totally flat.
. I change it carefully. Another pin hole leak. (Again , the pin hole faces directly outward away from the rim.) But, in a different location from where the last pin hole leak was positioned . Again , I replace it with a new tube. Installing the tube goes easily.While inserting the new tube it installs easily . No suspicions of the tube being pinched during its installation.
. Flat 3. Next morning it is again flat. Again in a different location . A small pin hole leak facing 180 degrees to the rim. The interior of the tire seems smooth, no signs of objects having punctured the tire.
What is up. ? Between the second and final flat , the bike might have been ridden 10 miles.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Last edited by cyclezealot; 04-01-14 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 07:46 AM
cyclezealot

I suspect the tire's casing is getting thin, Even though to the touch it seems fairly thick. The thread seems pretty much intact. Maybe the tire has about 4000 to 5000 miles on it. at most. What the heck. Just throw out the tire and rim tape and say the tires had a good run.? I am getting a bit tired of turning new tubes into used tubes.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-01-14, 08:38 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Unless you systematically mount the tire in the same place, ie. label at the valve, I suspect that all three flats were caused by the same shard of glass or similar embedded in the tread. You often can't feel these running your fingers along the inside of the tire because they withdraw back into the tire itself, then when riding get pushed through.

Search for the offending object from the outside by rolling the (removed) tire between your fingers to open any cuts, and see what's hiding there. Odds are that you'll mind multiple tiny shards which you can pick out with your fingernail, or a small pick of some kind.

It helps to have a reference, so you know where the valve is on the tire and can line up the tube along the tire and localize the area to check, but I always take a moment to check the whole tire while I have the chance.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-01-14, 08:39 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
5000 miles is probably time to toss it anyway.

Is the pin hole the same distance from the valve stem?
If you had a tiny piece of wire protruding in the tire....and not removed-
Patch the tube, but flip its "orientation" and you have another pin hole. an equal distance from the valve.
Swab the inner tire with a cotton ball. IF there's a tiny wire, it'll tend to catch the cotton.
Old 04-01-14, 10:32 AM
cyclezealot

FB in NY et al.
. I did carefully measure the location of the pin hole leaks in the tubes as related to the rim. All three were in different locations . That is why I am baffled. I would obviously agree, throw out the tire it's not worth it. But, I've had thinner casings that performed OK and the thread is not all that worn. Could be, bad tubes. but three of them. So glad that these issues , normally , only come up but about once a year. But, then I have three bikes. The bike in question gets the greatest use. When I change the current flat, I will give the swabbing idea a try. The pin holes have all been at different locations , as I said.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Last edited by cyclezealot; 04-01-14 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 10:40 AM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Could you be repeatedly running through the same patch of debris on the road/ path ? Just trying to think outside the box.
Old 04-01-14, 10:42 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by cyclezealot
FB in NY et al.
. I did carefully measure the location of the pin hole leaks in the tubes as related to the rim. All three were in different locations . That is why I am baffled. ....
Now I'm baffled. You describe the puncture as being away from the rim side, more like center tread in the tire. So, why are you comparing the location to the rim? I know that it's easy because of the valve, but there's no assurance that the tire is oriented the same way each time, unless you make it so by always mounting a reference of some kind at the valve.

Since the puncture is on the tire side, it's reasonable to assume the cause is there too.

take the time to examine the tire carefully, flex every little nick open until you can see clear to the bottom and verify that there's nothing embedbed there.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 04-01-14, 10:53 AM
cyclezealot

FB thanks. I appreciate being baffled together. I have carefully flexed the tire, looked for cosmetic damages on the outside. Measured the locations of the pin leaks. All different. All leaks perpendicular to the rim.. Facing in the direction to the road. ( Side punctures might indicate problems in packing the tube.But, I have none. ) My club is frustrated with the way I change flats, so I tell them to go on ahead. .. I change flats slowly and Methodologically , looking for why it happened.
Flats are no big deal , but I hate to throw out a tire before its time. It must be a shard of glass that only rears its head under 100 pounds of pressure or I over estimate the depth of the casing. Some roads I ride on are pretty much strewn with debris.
How much miles does one expect to put on your tires before you throw it away. ?

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-01-14, 11:02 AM
lectraplayer

Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw another guy say about 5000 miles or so. I still think it's in the tire itself. Put the logo on the tire with the valve stem each time and see if the pinhole still moves around the rim.
Old 04-01-14, 11:03 AM
FBinNY 

I have no magic miles number. I use tires until they wear through to the under tread unless a big cut, or age weakens the body plies until they look ready to let go.

Rear tires usually last about a year or so, but I've had fronts last over 20,000 miles.

BTW - the flats might be unrelated to anything except a run of bad luck. I've gone over 3,000 miles between flats, and have also had 3 unrelated flats the same week.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-01-14 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 11:14 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I am happy if I get 2500 miles from a premium Specialized Armadillo tire, on the rear, twice as much for a front. Are you lining up the valve stem with the same exact spot on the tire each time you change the flat? I line mine up with the center of the label while paying attention to the rotation direction arrow, not that direction matters for tire performance but it sure does when it comes to finding small punctures. Next time before you dismount the tire from the rim mark both the ds and valve stem location on the tire. When you find the location of the puncture on the tube lay it over the tire and identify a 2" spot on the tire where the puncture is and closely inspect the tire at that point inside and outside. You will find the cause of the puncture.
Old 04-01-14, 11:23 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I'll just mention that if getting flats occurs randomly, they won't be spaced evenly in time or miles and the period between flats will vary so that sometimes flats will occur relatively close together and at other times they'll be long stretches with no flats. For a thorough description and to calculate probabilities of bunching see: Poisson distribution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-01-14, 11:49 AM
cyclezealot

Originally Posted by lectraplayer
I saw another guy say about 5000 miles or so. I still think it's in the tire itself. Put the logo on the tire with the valve stem each time and see if the pinhole still moves around the rim.
That I do. ..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-01-14, 11:51 AM
cyclezealot

Originally Posted by Black wallnut
I am happy if I get 2500 miles from a premium Specialized Armadillo tire, on the rear, twice as much for a front. Are you lining up the valve stem with the same exact spot on the tire each time you change the flat? I line mine up with the center of the label while paying attention to the rotation direction arrow, not that direction matters for tire performance but it sure does when it comes to finding small punctures. Next time before you dismount the tire from the rim mark both the ds and valve stem location on the tire. When you find the location of the puncture on the tube lay it over the tire and identify a 2" spot on the tire where the puncture is and closely inspect the tire at that point inside and outside. You will find the cause of the puncture.
I've liked Armadillo's too. But, god, are they hard to pack. I usually loose some skin off of my knuckles.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 04-01-14, 02:00 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I once had a series of flats with no obvious cause - until I looked at the inside of the tire and saw a slice about 1/8" long in the casing interior. Apparently that slice was "chewing" holes in the tube.
Old 04-01-14, 04:26 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
My nemesis is the radial ply tire steel wire that penetrates the tread and is very hard to find.
Old 04-01-14, 04:43 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
When I only had one bike, I replaced tires every year since I put about 6000 miles on them per year.
Old 04-01-14, 05:59 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
My nemesis is the radial ply tire steel wire that penetrates the tread and is very hard to find.
me too, got three flats in one ride from one of those and they're tiny! You just about need the cotton ball to find it.

I tend to cut tires before they totally wear out but anything over 2k for a rear and I'm content that the tire did the best it could.
Old 04-01-14, 07:46 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Another thing to check out-
On an CL flipper I picked up, the tires/tubes were OLD!
I patched a couple pin holes in the tube, inflated and developed a couple more pin holes.
The rubber had deteriorated? enough that there were tiny "spots" that could best be described as "CARBON".
The new patches would cause the tube to stretch a bit differently and pop the little specks.
I was pretty much getting 2 new pin holes per patch.

Examine the pin hole itself and see if there is a tiny, hard/crystallized piece of rubber on the edge.
Old 04-02-14, 12:59 PM
cyclezealot

Looks like this could be filed away with today's OP.. Flat Tire , No puncture. Yesterday, I passed by my favorite bike shop and told them my story. The mechanic said that is weird. But, in some instances, take off the tire, turn it inside out and bend the tire so as to cause a crease in the casing. Should any piece of metal be present , it might show itself in the fold. I found two small thorns . But on the outside of the tire, the puncture holes were so small they could not be seen. Maybe I should buy tires with thicker casings. The Tire is a Performance Forte.

^ Since January 1, 2012