Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations for places to order parts.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 08:21 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over time, I've become the bike guy for my extended group of friends and families. I do most basic maintenance and tuneups and this requires me to keep supplies and miscellaneous parts on hand or order them as the need arises (Brake parts, cables, lubricants, kickstands, etc.). Lately I've been ordering parts through Amazon and Niagara Cycle, but would like some suggestions for other sites that offer quick shipping and competitive pricing.

Before anyone jumps my case for not supporting my LBS , let me just add that I use them for all major overhauls and wheel work as well as sending friends and family to them for bike purchases, etc. I've got a great relationship with them but they really aren't competitive for the small shop supplies and parts I'm looking for.

So, suggestions are welcome!
Old 04-23-14, 08:43 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by FLJeepGuy
Over time, I've become the bike guy for my extended group of friends and families. I do most basic maintenance and tuneups and this requires me to keep supplies and miscellaneous parts on hand or order them as the need arises (Brake parts, cables, lubricants, kickstands, etc.). Lately I've been ordering parts through Amazon and Niagara Cycle, but would like some suggestions for other sites that offer quick shipping and competitive pricing.

Before anyone jumps my case for not supporting my LBS , let me just add that I use them for all major overhauls and wheel work as well as sending friends and family to them for bike purchases, etc. I've got a great relationship with them but they really aren't competitive for the small shop supplies and parts I'm looking for.

Approach that shop where you have a good relationship and see if they will sell you bulk parts at discount, like bulk cable housing and cables, bottles of ferrules and cable ends, box of kickstands, box of lubricant, etc.
Old 04-23-14, 08:45 AM
FLJeepGuy

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Crosstrail Disc, 1995 Specialized HardRock Ultra, 1991 Trek 1200, late 80's Tunturi 500R, plus various others moving through my garage...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Approach that shop where you have a good relationship and see if they will sell you bulk parts at discount, like bulk cable housing and cables, bottles of ferrules and cable ends, box of kickstands, box of lubricant, etc.
Thanks much for the suggestion. That option never even occurred to me!
Old 04-23-14, 08:45 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I like JensonUsa. They will match anybody else's price, and are a pleasure to deal with.
Old 04-23-14, 08:50 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Bike Tools Etc. ( biketoolsetc.com ) sells bulk packages of cables, housing, small cable parts and large containers of grease at competitive prices. However, mconlonx's suggestion to try to piggyback on your LBS's orders is a good one. They can increase their volume with their suppliers and pass along part of their wholesale costs to you.
Old 04-23-14, 09:04 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I like JensonUsa. They will match anybody else's price, and are a pleasure to deal with.
I haven't been buying much lately, but I also really like JensonUSA. Their online catalog has more small parts listed than the big 3 (Performance/Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist and Excel Sports).

There are some eBay sellers I end up buying new parts from quite a bit as well.
Old 04-23-14, 09:09 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I get a lot of stuff from Amazon (brake pads, cables, chain rings, rim tape, etc...), often through third party sellers.
Old 04-23-14, 10:09 AM
Velocivixen

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
Universalcycles.com. They have up to the minute stock info on all their parts. They also have a price matching option, where you click the button & they get back to you ASAP & tell you if they can match the price. I check their online stock and if they have it I go to their Portland showroom and buy it.
Old 04-23-14, 01:11 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts

How many friends and family members do you have that you would need to keep supplies around? Why can't they buy what they need at a LBS? cables, brake pads, bearings, etc don't cost much.
Old 04-23-14, 01:17 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
If you are already shopping at Niagara and Amazon, you have 2 of the best sources already. Don't forget to check ebay.
Old 04-23-14, 01:24 PM
FLJeepGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
How many friends and family members do you have that you would need to keep supplies around? Why can't they buy what they need at a LBS? cables, brake pads, bearings, etc don't cost much.
Enough that running to the LBS every time I need a basic part is getting to be a pain, not to mention I spend more in gas getting there than the part costs. I do a lot of repairs and adjustments for folks in the neighborhood not to mention my own family bikes, etc. so keeping the basic stuff on hand works for me.
Old 04-23-14, 01:27 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had good results with *Chain Reaction Cycles | MTB | Road | TRI | Run. They are in the UK but shipping is free for orders over $100 and shipments normally arrive by post to Canada within a week. They offer good support and when I had a warranty issue they dealt with it promptly and paid all shipping costs.
Old 04-23-14, 01:42 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ebay. Most parts I find cheapest there with free shipping and no sales tax. If you are patient enough to wait for shipping direct from China you can get good deals on bulk cables, housings, ferels and other small parts. I have also dealt with Bikewagon a lot both on their website and ebay store and they have good prices and great service and reply to emails within the hour. I like Jensonusa too but living in CA, I have to pay sales tax on online orders from them so I won't buy anything unless it's a really good deal
Old 04-23-14, 07:04 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
JensenUSA, Universal, Amazon, Ebay, ChainReaction, BikeTiresDirect, BackCountry, ProBikeKit. I've ordered from all of them. And then there is eBay too. I just check for price and free shipping. It really sucks to pay shipping on a cheap item.
Old 04-23-14, 08:35 PM
Hendo252 

Bikes: 1983 Trek 620, 2010 Roubaix

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zacster
JensenUSA, Universal, Amazon, Ebay, ChainReaction, BikeTiresDirect, BackCountry, ProBikeKit. I've ordered from all of them. And then there is eBay too. I just check for price and free shipping. It really sucks to pay shipping on a cheap item.
Concur.

Geography plays a big part in vendor choice; I love Jenson and Universal since shipping is fast and cheap to SoCal. I avoid Niagara and Performance since shipping is slow and expensive to the wild, wild West Coast.

Hopefully somebody from the SE will chime in with some suggestions...

-Tom in SoCal
Old 04-23-14, 08:43 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Very handy having a Performance shop nearby - no shipping costs for what they have in stock. No way do they have everything that I need/want but I do buy some of their stuff, especially when it is on sale.
Old 04-24-14, 07:58 AM
FLJeepGuy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendo252
Concur.

Geography plays a big part in vendor choice; I love Jenson and Universal since shipping is fast and cheap to SoCal. I avoid Niagara and Performance since shipping is slow and expensive to the wild, wild West Coast.

-Tom in SoCal
The shipping issue is one of the reasons I was looking for alternates to Amazon and Niagara. Having a number of places as suggested to check when placing an order will definitely help.
Old 04-24-14, 08:02 AM
mconlonx

Another alternative is to actually go legit. Make it an actual business, GET INSURANCE, and sign on with a local distributor for wholesale pricing.
Old 04-24-14, 09:12 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Hendo252
Concur.

-Tom in SoCal
That's surprising. I live on the west side too and have only ordered stuff from Niagra twice, both times being cheap and fast. I was charged $3.00 shipping on my recent order and they sent it 2nd day prority mail with tracking and insurance. I was surprised and pleased.
Old 04-25-14, 04:19 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
It seems that almost everyone I order from is on the west coast so it always takes a long time to get back east. The other day I ordered something that was mostly shipping out of Hong Kong, but found someone nearby and had it the next day. I even willingly paid the sales tax. It wasn't bike related though.

I put together an upgrade to my commuter a few months ago, brakes, shifters, levers, derailleur, chain, rims, hub, spokes, cassette, dynamo light. The only thing I didn't get a rock bottom price on was the light. I bought the latest and greatest B&M Cyo light and it isn't being discounted anywhere. I bought some XT parts, some Deore, some LX, they were all really cheap because I shopped around. It helps to have specific model numbers for Shimano stuff because the search engines will bring up what you are looking for without all the noise.

Last edited by zacster; 04-25-14 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 06:56 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Another alternative is to actually go legit. Make it an actual business, GET INSURANCE, and sign on with a local distributor for wholesale pricing.
I hear QBP is adding a "Friends and Family" plan...
Old 04-26-14, 09:04 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For your purposes -- random extra parts without time restraints I would recommend EBay as the best way to get quality parts at deep discounts. Only buy quality stuff that is extremely discounted from retail...

Basically, you have the advantage of being able to be an opportunist...
... For example, I just saw a $100 saddle that I like being sold for under $25. I don't HAVE to have one -- not enough to spend $100 at my LBS. But for $25 my butt will thank me...
Old 04-26-14, 01:02 PM
lectraplayer

Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, for some items, I would also comb "outside the bike shop," especially when some parts (like brake pads, chains, cables, etc) must be aquired rapidly. Wal-Mart has suitable substitutes for basic maintenence. Lubes, Threadlok, tools, etc. can come from home improvement or automotive retailers. Again, I would do this as a stopgap and then pick my LBS's brains.
Old 04-26-14, 02:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Buying case lots from the LBS wont be marked up as much as if you buy an each

a roll of housing in a carton has a lot in it . likewise bulk Cables ..

of course to buy wholesale the distributors want to see your bona fides as a shop.
Old 04-27-14, 07:57 AM
mconlonx

Originally Posted by wheelreason
I hear QBP is adding a "Friends and Family" plan...
Any distributor which requests that you submit a photo of your storefront is probably not the way to go, but there are other distributors out there who might play nice with a small, local repair business. UBS comes to mind. In my neck of the woods, I'd talk to someone at Downeast.