Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How Much Weight?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

How Much Weight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-23, 04:14 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
How Much Weight?

I have wire baskets on my groceries getter. How much weight can I safety put on the bike without it affecting everything?
Old 06-06-23, 10:29 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Show us a picture of the setup. Pull a trailer or a Travoy if you are worried about weight. I use the trailer for the weekly run (80lb to 100lb). I also have a 40L backpack and a 65L food delivery backpack. Either one can carry more weight than I can easily manage, but if I can stagger over to the bike and get on, it will get me home.
Old 06-07-23, 09:19 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
It depends on the sturdiness of your baskets and where they are mounted. I used a Blackburn rear rack with panniers and sometimes carried as much as 30 pounds during my commute.
Old 06-09-23, 10:01 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
It depends on the sturdiness of your baskets and where they are mounted.
The type of bike matters also. A Wal-Mart dual suspension "mountain" bike with loose hubs and headset won't do so great either. "Touring" style bikes with long chainstays and relaxed head tube angles, fork rake, etc do the best. A halfway decent ATB well maintained make nice work horses. I'm just guessing the OP has a "normal" bike and not a recumbent or other config.
Old 06-09-23, 10:11 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
The type of bike matters also. A Wal-Mart dual suspension "mountain" bike with loose hubs and headset won't do so great either. "Touring" style bikes with long chainstays and relaxed head tube angles, fork rake, etc do the best. A halfway decent ATB well maintained make nice work horses. I'm just guessing the OP has a "normal" bike and not a recumbent or other config.
Sure, the sturdiness of the baskets and the type of bike matter with regard to weight capacity, but potentially a bigger issue is bike handling. You would do well to throw some weight in those baskets and get used to riding that way. The bike will handle completely different, including braking. Don't make your first trip to the grocery store your trial run.
Old 06-09-23, 11:26 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
...The bike will handle completely different, including braking. Don't make your first trip to the grocery store your trial run.
At least not with breakable food containers. (Giant glass jar of mayonnaise comes to mind)
Old 11-18-23, 11:41 AM
RavenBiker86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Limit what groceries you can purchase or avoid any large box items, they can purchased on different day of the week if that is convenient that is what I did when I was at the flat.
Old 01-24-24, 03:00 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I have wire baskets on my groceries getter. How much weight can I safety put on the bike without it affecting everything?
Don't exceed the weight rating on the rack(s).

Regarding stability, I have a 20" wheel folder, empty, steering was "twitchy", very maneuverable but don't take hands off steering, and on fast downhills, if I stood up, the whole bike could start a nasty shimmy, rapidly tipping left and right and amplifying. What made better? Unladen, sitting down or if standing to create more drag, clamping my thighs around the seat, my body acts as a mass-damper. Here's what's more interesting; A front rack and panniers with weight forward of the steering axis, calmed down the steering twitchiness (a deep research paper on stability of bikes confirmed that, see below). Adding a high rear rack (to fit full-size panniers), with a trunk bag on top full of tools (heavy), that helped damp out the shimmy, also mass damping effects.

"A bicycle can be self-stable without gyroscopic or caster effects":

https://ruina.tam.cornell.edu/researc...v34Revised.pdf
Old 02-04-24, 05:21 AM
PeeWeePete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I use a plastic milk crate, and I find that carrying anymore is asking for trouble.
I go shopping about three times per week, and have been doing so to a number of years now.
Oh, I live alone, so I only shop for one person.

Sorry I cannot as yet post a photo of my bike until I get 10 posts approval.
Old 02-04-24, 07:03 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Originally Posted by PeeWeePete
I use a plastic milk crate, and I find that carrying anymore is asking for trouble.
Pic Assist] PeeWeePete's Albums - BikeForums

Old 02-05-24, 05:18 AM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Are those vertical support struts? Or just elastics holding the crate onto a seatpost monobeam rack?
Old 02-06-24, 02:43 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Trial and error. Load it up and see how it handles and whether the struts look like they're bending. If a Dutch guy can carry his girlfriend on the handlebars, you're probably going to be okay with a bag or two full.