Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Late 70s Nishiki something or other.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-23, 08:29 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Late 70s Nishiki something or other.

So I was visiting the Bike Warehouse Outlet near Youngstown, Ohio (before they became Bike Nashbar), when I saw a nice bare steel frame with a chrome Tange fork hanging in the rafters. It was unbadged except for "Nishiki" stamped on the seat stay caps. The price ($70) was reasonable so it came home with me. Over the years it had a number of configurations but has now ended up as a 3 speed city bike after I repainted it. I want to put it on the market soon but have no idea what it might bring.

Details: Frame is straight with new headset and bottom bracket. DiaCompe calipers with straight levers. Shimano 600 crank. New wheels (Sun CR18) with New Sturmey 3sp in rear. Generic pedals, stem, saddle, bar. Thanks for your learned opinions.
Here's a pic:

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 06-14-23 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-14-23, 01:14 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
I would say about $150 also. Note the bike frame fork are mid 80's not late 70's Nishiki didn't start panto's till 83/84 and the unicrown prestige fork is from 85 or so and likely not original to the bike.
Old 06-14-23, 03:19 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
If it were rigged with gears and drop bar, I was thinking $150-$200. I think the other boys are on the money at $150 for your tastefully done 3 spd.
Old 06-14-23, 03:53 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by zukahn1
I would say about $150 also. Note the bike frame fork are mid 80's not late 70's Nishiki didn't start panto's till 83/84 and the unicrown prestige fork is from 85 or so and likely not original to the bike.
Thanks but nope. I personally bought the frame and fork in 1978 and I don't think I bought an extremely rare prototype of something that Nishiki had planned for the mid 80s. Also not a unicrown fork, it's a brazed sloping crown. That said, I have no documentation that this is actually a Nishiki other than the seat stay caps being stamped with the name.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 06-14-23, 04:32 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

As for the actual dates on the bike they don't matter much vale wise,IF you just need wan to knot for selling purposes there should be a makers mark and SS on the underside of the BB and the tange fork will likely have detailed info on the stearer tube. For more info you can go to the BF's Niishki data base which has good examples of nearly every Nishika every sold.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-database.html
Old 06-15-23, 09:23 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 965 Posts
I would say put a $200 tag on it. Interesting cable guides and stops. One shift cable
on top tube with seatstay and one on chainstay. Is that resprayed with mods?

I have a 1977 Nishiki, here is that for compare.
Old 06-16-23, 11:08 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

[QUOTE=Mr. 66;22924219Interesting cable guides and stops. One shift cable
on top tube with seatstay and one on chainstay. Is that resprayed with mods?

[/QUOTE]
Yep, I brazed new stops on to convert to 3-speed. I usually hesitate to add braze-ons to vintage frames, but this one was not anywhere near high end and thus was great for experimentation.
Old 06-16-23, 01:10 PM
zukahn1 

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Yep, I brazed new stops on to convert to 3-speed. I usually hesitate to add braze-ons to vintage frames, but this one was not anywhere near high end and thus was great for experimentation.
late
This explains a bunch of the dating confusion of the bike having some mid 80's braze on's with late 70's lugs.
Old 07-04-23, 12:54 AM
Martinibike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice bike