Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need help with cones

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need help with cones

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-23, 06:24 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Need help with cones

Not sure where to get them. These came out of an AlexRim, RHD, 26" front wheel off my Rockhopper.
I know it needs cones. I would like to get new bearings and rubber seals, also. The balls measure .187" dia. There are ten on each side.
The threads on the axel have some rough spots, so I would replace that, too.

In a situation like this, would you polish the races? I was thinking of polishing them with a fiber wheel on a Dremel tool and some abrasive, or maybe just by hand with some fine grit cloth or sandpaper.
I've done some searches but haven't come up with these parts.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by sknhgy; 07-02-23 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 06:35 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
it is a Shimano hub of some type. Freewheel configuration not cassette looks like I suspect any axle / cone assembly from a period compatible hub would work

don't polish the races

if it were me I'd find a new hub and cannibalize it for parts. Question is which model ? Deore XT ?

there is a complete parts box of classic shimano hub internals - cones and spacers - new on ebay now for sixty buck !

item 155595578893

grab that before I do

/markp

Last edited by mpetry912; 07-02-23 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-02-23, 06:36 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Nothing you can do to improve the cones. These surfaces are loosely akin to ice crusted snow, namely a hard surface covering a softer core. Polishing will only remove more o f the critical hard skin.

There are sources for replacement cones, if not an exact match, at least close enough to serve well. However the seals are much harder to find, if at all.

Looking at them, they're not terrible, and in your shoes, I'd use new balls, good quality grease, and careful adjustment to minimum preload. Then ride.

BTW while this wear will feel rough when spinning the axle in your fingers, the actual difference when riding is about as close to zero as one can imagine.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-02-23, 06:45 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

and maybe swap the drive side and off side cones just to equalize the wear

Otherwise yes follow FB's advice above

/markp
Old 07-02-23, 07:34 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
it is a Shimano hub of some type. Freewheel configuration not cassette looks like…
Psssst…the photo shows—and the OP states that it is—a front hub.
Old 07-02-23, 08:03 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Originally Posted by smd4
Psssst…the photo shows—and the OP states that it is—a front hub.
then golly just shoot some heavy grease in tnere and keep on smilin

/markp
Old 07-02-23, 08:07 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
I am curious, though. How did you 1) identify it as a Shimano hub (though even a guess would likely have been correct), and 2) identify it as a freewheel hub?
Old 07-02-23, 10:29 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by sknhgy
I was thinking of polishing them with a fiber wheel on a Dremel tool and some abrasive, or maybe just by hand with some fine grit cloth or sandpaper.
I've done some searches but haven't come up with these parts.
That's because you can't normally buy individual cone nuts.

You buy the entire QR axle for $10-$20 (depending on the LBS), which is generously supplied with washers too.

If your cycling performance is measurably impacted such that you feel you need to polish old cones to restore results, you may want to look for a better condition or new wheelset to get all this over it.

I don't use my time to polish old cones.

I use my time for cycling.
Old 07-03-23, 07:09 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Do you have a bike co-op in your area. If so, and it's like the one that I volunteer at, they will have plenty of spare axles, cones, locknuts, etc.
Old 07-03-23, 08:56 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
OP: you haven't mentioned the state of the hub cups. I presume you've inspected them and that they show no evidence of pitting/other damage along the bearing wear track. If not, you really should do that. If the cups are pitted, that changes your viable options considerably.

Assuming the cups are OK, as I see it you have three options:

a. Find exact replacement cones, repack, readjust, and ride.
b. Find a suitable third-party cone (or axle set), use those cones (or axle set), repack, readjust, and ride.
c. Reuse the existing cones, repack, readjust, and continue to ride.

In my book, option a. would be best. If it's a Shimano/other major brand hub and you can determine which one it is, you may be able to find the exact replacement cones - or not, depending on just how old the hub is. (Shimano and other manufacturers eventually quit making repair parts for their older products.)

Option b. is also viable, provided you pay attention to the length of the cones and are willing to play with spacers. FWIW: I find the Wheelmaster axle sets to be a good value (fairly inexpensive, Taiwanese-made, decent quality, and the axles are CroMo steel). Their cones also appear to be a good fit for many older Shimano road hubs. You might also be able to find a suitable replacement cone set at a LBS; take the old ones with you (both if they're not identical, or at least one if they appear identical).

IMO option c . is viable, but I personally would argue that should be a short-term option only while you look for replacement cones. The left cone in your photo above shows some pitting. Fragments will continue to spall from those pits over time, enlarging them and contaminating the grease. Eventually those hardened steel fragments in the grease will kill the bearing balls, cause more damage to the cones, and start pitting the cups. Once the cups are dead, the hub is toast.

If the existing axle is not bent, unless the threads are in really bad shape I don't think you have to worry overmuch about replacing it. (They don't look all that bad in the photo.) A good cleaning with some solvent and a wire brush followed by using the locknuts to chase the threads should work wonders. I'd do that in any case, even if I got a new axle kit, and keep that one as a spare. You never know if you'll need one in the future (though for a front axle the likelihood is probably low).

Also FWIW: @FBinNY 's advice above re: grinding/polishing cones is sound. Cones in a cup/cone bearing are typically surface-hardened (AKA "case hardened"). The hardened layer is usually rather thin, and regrinding and/or polishing a used cone removes all or part of the remaining hardened layer of steel. They'll wear more quickly. I'd recommend it as a last resort only for a vintage item for which a replacement hub or cone is simply not available.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hondo6; 07-03-23 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Corrrect typos.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 07-03-23, 09:24 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
If your cycling performance is measurably impacted such that you feel you need to polish old cones to restore results, you may want to look for a better condition or new wheelset to get all this over it..
I'm pretty sure he was talking about polishing the bearing surfaces in the hub, he already said he needed new cones and balls.
Old 07-03-23, 09:43 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Not sure where to get them. These came out of an AlexRim, RHD, 26" front wheel off my Rockhopper.
I know it needs cones. I would like to get new bearings and rubber seals, also. The balls measure .187" dia. There are ten on each side.
The threads on the axel have some rough spots, so I would replace that, too.

In a situation like this, would you polish the races? I was thinking of polishing them with a fiber wheel on a Dremel tool and some abrasive, or maybe just by hand with some fine grit cloth or sandpaper.
0.187" is 3/16" for the balls. The bearings do their own polishing, just don't set them too tight or they'll be grinding instead. You'll probably find they won't adjust perfectly anyway, there will be some non-concentricity. I wouldn't bother replacing the axle unless it's bent. I doubt you'll find the rubber dust covers anywhere unless you figure out some part numbers, this is probably a generic anonymous hub.
Old 07-03-23, 10:22 AM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
That's because you can't normally buy individual cone nuts.

You buy the entire QR axle for $10-$20 (depending on the LBS), which is generously supplied with washers too.

If your cycling performance is measurably impacted such that you feel you need to polish old cones to restore results, you may want to look for a better condition or new wheelset to get all this over it.

I don't use my time to polish old cones.

I use my time for cycling.
Shimano sells "individual cones"...always has, always will.
So does Wheels Mfg. and a number of other sources.

the cheapo axle sets you mentioned are tragically cheap, poorly machined, have loose threads,,and barely hardened cones. When tightened in place, the cones go out of alignment to the axle. ... not worth buying, IMO.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 07-03-23, 10:34 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
first of all, that is a really cool plate that you are using in your workshop. I use cheap Ikea plastic stuff and old take-out containers to hold my greasy parts, not engraved works of art.

My advice--it is nearly impossible to achieve an after the fact match of cone, bearings, and cups. even from ostensible manufacturer original parts. so . . .

a) run the hub a tiny bit loose with a generous amount of grease, replace grease regularly. You may not notice the difference, or, the play might cause annoying brake engagement or clicks

b) take the opportunity to build a wheel. find a good quality matching, used hub and you can reuse the spokes. Or buy a different, new hub and spokes. if you haven't built a wheel before, all the better. take the opportunity to learn.

c) buy a prebuilt complete wheel. If your priority is riding and not wrenching, there is nothing wrong with this. Those of use who like wrenching tend to spend too little time riding as a result.
Old 07-03-23, 11:18 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
I know it needs cones.

I circled in red the worst pitting that I can see. And it's not that bad. If that's the worst of it and if it's only in that one spot, I wouldn't worry about it. In the meantime, you can look for the same model used hub to grab its cones.

The balls measure .187" dia.
When measuring something so small with a digital caliper, use units in millimeters. 3/16" balls measure 4.76mm.

Originally Posted by mpetry912
just shoot some heavy grease in there and keep on smilin.
^ This. Replace the old balls with 3/16" grade 25 first.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/292250961016

​​​​​

Last edited by SurferRosa; 07-03-23 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-03-23, 01:07 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
Shimano sells "individual cones"...always has, always will.
So does Wheels Mfg. and a number of other sources.
Show me a place to buy Shimano 7400 Rear cones. I have been looking for years and ended up getting a parts hub that had acceptable cones.
Old 07-03-23, 04:40 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
Show me a place to buy Shimano 7400 Rear cones. I have been looking for years and ended up getting a parts hub that had acceptable cones.
you mean like these?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/36398065236...6ebd0a3ad31310

Vintage DA Hub assemblies are cheaper, but ya place yer bets, then take yer chances, eh? loose bearing settings and filled with thick grease is a sign of internal trouble, IMO.

i didn't know we were talking obsolete fancy race level parts..the OP's hub is not a DA-7400. DA-7400 was released in 1984... my ALAN is dressed in wallflower fresh DA7400... I bought the group from a student heading home... "it was dad's old bike, no one called, except you..."... a schwinn super sport... 56cm, fushia color, carefully painted with a brush... price drop before his flight.... $80... i couldn't get the cash out of my pocket fast enough... specialized Turbo seat and tires...Rigida rims, DT db spokes, and really bad cabling... the brake loops were a foot high and bent to pieces.....

there are aftermarket cone variety kits, but few people can justify buying those.

The DA hubs and the DT spokes went into Mavic MA40 rims... the Rigidas are in my stash.

Last edited by maddog34; 07-03-23 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-03-23, 04:47 PM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I can measure what I've got, but I can't find measurements on the parts listed on Amazon, so I'm having trouble matching things up.

Last edited by sknhgy; 07-03-23 at 04:52 PM.
Old 07-03-23, 05:53 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
I can measure what I've got, but I can't find measurements on the parts listed on Amazon, so I'm having trouble matching things up.
I admit there are a handful of differently widths for QR axles, and you certainly don't want them wider than the drops, but this is one of those times where a LBS can really help, not the amazons.

You're obviously not doing this to save money and appear commited to complete this at all costs, a LBS can sell you what you need for the DIY.
Old 07-04-23, 06:17 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

I admit there are a handful of differently widths for QR axles, and you certainly don't want them wider than the drops, but this is one of those times where a LBS can really help, not the amazons.

You're obviously not doing this to save money and appear commited to complete this at all costs, a LBS can sell you what you need for the DIY.
That's what I thought. Don't have one locally. I need to take a little road trip.
Old 07-04-23, 06:24 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-parts/all-cones.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-04-23, 07:48 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I've had pretty good luck chucking a used cone in a drill press and cleaning them up with sandpaper wrapped around a wooden dowel. maybe there is a surface hardness that is lost, just know removing the brinelling made the wheels turn smoothly again.

Through the years I've managed to collect a jar of usable axle parts. That wheels manufacturing link dedhed posted is a good one. Doing a search on amazon returns cheap axle sets as well. I bought a kit containing a couple hundred balls of various sizes many years ago. Extremely handy to have since I seem to drop the stupid things onesy twosey on a regular basis.

But like someone said time is often better spent riding then trying to save old parts. Just get an axle kit of Amazon and bolt it up, or a new hub.
Old 07-05-23, 07:34 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Be sure to bookmark this site. I haven't had to look for replacement cones ever since I did.
Old 07-05-23, 09:57 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

When measuring something so small with a digital caliper, use units in millimeters. 3/16" balls measure 4.76mm.

​​​​​
Why? When decimal measurements are used there is no advantage to using metric over imperial. Even the imperial fraction of 3/16" is an exact number.
Old 07-05-23, 10:04 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Black wallnut
Why? When decimal measurements are used there is no advantage to using metric over imperial.
Really, we hardly use inches in anything we measure, whether it be stem reach, crank arm length, brake reach, fork offset, chainline, OLD, seatpost diameter, headset stack, spoke length, tire width or frame size. Yes, there are a few exceptions. A few.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.