Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Let's talk waxing

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Let's talk waxing

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 01:54 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeonbicycle
i do not pull up untried info from anywhere on the net,most of what i talk about is from trying stuff my self,you know nothing about waxing at all,if you think oil does not effect the wax you most likely dont know what your talking about and most likely have not used wax for many years,i do not parrot anything thank you very much,give me one good reason to use any oil with wax,oil cause dirt and grime to stick to the chain,another thing you are not correct about is the amount of oil in candle wax,it can be as high ad ten percent,go do your home before making stupid comments
One, I have used solvent based wax lubricants for more than 20 years. I have used hot wax before that but solvent based wax is easier to apply and the the results are the same.

Two. I know a thing or two about mixtures and chemicals.

Three. It wouldn’t matter if candle wax were 10% oil…which is isn’t…it would still be a solid and wouldn’t attract grit nor would it allow grit to penetrate into the chain because it is solid.

Four. I did do my home work about candle wax and food grade wax. That’s where I came up with the values I posted.

Five. I am a chemist by education, training, and experience. I also am a bicycle mechanic by calling. I know how things work and, if I don’t, I figure out how they work.

Six. Know your audience before you go calling them stupid.

Seven. Especially don’t go calling someone “stupid” if you can compose a paragraph.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 12-21-23, 02:07 AM
mikeonbicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
wax

yeah your a big expert,i have been building,fixing and riding bikes since 1976,bike forums are about exchanging ideas and experience,everone also has a different way of doing stuff,no two mechanics are the same either,what i am seeing on this bike forum is people who are not even prepared to listen to anothers point of view,so good luck as i am outta here,back to bikegremlin,he is the most mature guy in the industry,does not get involved in politics,helps others out,is a much better mechanic and has more knowledge than all you guys put together,Relja is king,aint got no time for the crap that goes on here,cheers
Old 12-21-23, 09:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeonbicycle
yeah your a big expert,i have been building,fixing and riding bikes since 1976,bike forums are about exchanging ideas and experience,everone also has a different way of doing stuff,no two mechanics are the same either,what i am seeing on this bike forum is people who are not even prepared to listen to anothers point of view,so good luck as i am outta here,back to bikegremlin,he is the most mature guy in the industry,does not get involved in politics,helps others out,is a much better mechanic and has more knowledge than all you guys put together,Relja is king,aint got no time for the crap that goes on here,cheers
“You’re”. A contraction of “you” and “are”, not the possessive from of “you”.

I, too, have been riding and fixing bikes for the same time as you. However, in that time frame, I went to school and got a degree in chemistry which does make me an expert on matters chemical. I have no problem with exchanging idea and experience nor with learning new things that fill the gaps of my knowledge. I do listen to others point of view but if that point of view contains incorrect information, I try to explain why the information is correct to help fill the gaps in other people’s knowledge. Chemistry…and science…isn’t something that bends to opinion. Science is based on demonstrable facts. There’s a little room for debate on details but, generally, it is a very small room.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 12-21-23 at 12:49 PM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 12-21-23, 11:59 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
.................................''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Here are a few periods and apostrophes for you to use when punctuating your posts, mikeonbicycle. Let me know if you need more.

Last edited by smd4; 12-21-23 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-21-23, 12:44 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
A man walks into a hotel room, takes a crap on the floor, pisses on the bed, and throws a table through the window. He then proceeds to complain to other guests about how terrible the hotel is, and announces his departure.

Bye, Mike.
Old 12-22-23, 02:27 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
.................................''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Here are a few periods and apostrophes for you to use when punctuating your posts, mikeonbicycle. Let me know if you need more.
I try to be tolerant of poor grammar and punctuation online. But mikeonbicycle's approach to writing does make it more difficult to read and understand.
Likes For Jay Turberville:
Old 12-28-23, 07:30 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Turberville
I try to be tolerant of poor grammar and punctuation online. But mikeonbicycle's approach to writing does make it more difficult to read and understand.
Yep, I went cross-eyed trying to parse that post.
Old 12-31-23, 06:20 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
To me the best lube for chains is never needing any to begin with, the chain that lasts forever and is naturally friction free. Otherwise what does it matter what you throw on it , you're only dealing in degrees of futility. Like patching holes in a sinking ship. Fix one, 10 more open ! Ahahahahahahahaa ! But my repair jobs only let to 5 more holes ! And the crowd roars 👏