Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Loose crank axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Loose crank axle

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-24, 12:24 PM
keraba2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Loose crank axle

I have a GRX FC-RX600 going through a First Components P237SA eccentric bottom bracket. After maybe a year of use, the crank axel is a little loose. I noticed when I was pedaling that, at a certain spot, it would "tick". I can feel the far arm move when I move the near arm, so I know it's the axel that is loose, not the crank arm that is loose from the axel.

The strange thing is that it is only loose when the arms are straight up and down. When the arms are level to the ground, it's as solid as I would expect.

Have I simply worn away the bearing race in that spot while cranking away up hills? I would take it apart but I'm not sure that my eyes would even see the difference, and wanted to check with the group first.

I've heard of Walmart bike bottom brackets dieing after a year (maybe due to lack of bearings?) but never "real" components.

thanks for any insight
Old 03-09-24, 12:30 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Your first job is to figure out where the looseness is. Is it the crank interface to the spindle or is it the spindle interface to the frame? You should be able to figure this out without taking anything apart. Like, for instance, when you wiggle one crank, does the other one wiggle in response?
Old 03-09-24, 12:49 PM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hi oldbobcat,

Thanks for the reply. Once again, yes, "the other one wiggles." The bottom bracket does Not wiggle. The cranks wiggle only when vertical.

Is it toast?
Old 03-09-24, 12:58 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Sorry... Little confused... Is the crank armature doing the wiggle or the crank arms?
Old 03-09-24, 02:08 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by keraba2
I can feel the far arm move when I move the near arm...
Sounds like the cranks and spindle are moving as a unit.
Old 03-10-24, 02:08 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5792 Post(s)
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,432 Posts
While bearing wear in one axis only is possible, (typical wear pattern for heavy duty lathes) I've never heard of it on a bike. In any case, it would take a ton of miles and/or a seriously crappy BB.

Keep in mind the possibility of the entire unit moving with respect to the frame. This is actually more common.

Given that you've already done the diagnostic, you might as well open it up to confirm, and repair or replace as needed.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-10-24 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-10-24, 03:28 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Sorry... Little confused... Is the crank armature doing the wiggle or the crank arms?
What's a crank armature?
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-10-24, 08:01 AM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
FBin NY,

Indeed, to do this at one spot in the rotation would require wearing in the _race_, not the balls. I can't even imagine. But neither side of the BB moved when I jiggled the cranks.

I have now done a little research and replaced the BB with a Dura-Ace + chain tensioner (which is noisy and stiff so the bike is essentially useless.) Someone on another site ran into an issue with this BB and blamed the tiny bearings that they claimed it has. (Note that I can't confirm. I have not torn apart either end.)

When I rotate them, they behave... strange. The inner sleeves - sorry, not sure what else to call it, but the thing that the spindle rests within - want to _stop_ about half-way around each revolution. The sleeves on both sides do this. So _something_ happened to the races. They also seem a little loose in the axial direction, but this may be ball wear or just manufacturing tolerance.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you how they behaved when I installed them, but this current behavior doesn't seem right at all (compared to other BBs that I've installed.)
Likes For keraba2:
Old 03-10-24, 08:45 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
What's a crank armature?
He means "crank axle" or "spindle". Sounds more like an electric motor, though.
Old 03-10-24, 10:57 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
What's a crank armature?
You are right, sorry... For lack of a better term. I was confused as to weather it was the Crank with Spindle or Crank arms. So I just called the whole Kit and Caboodle an armature. I guess I could have called it an Axial Alignment Adjusting Coupling with Drive.

Of course I have never really gotten close to an Eccentric Bottom Bracket that I know of. Still I find the problem interesting. If I was having the same problem I would certainly be upset. I might even ask the geezers on the bikeforum for advice. Just ta see If they were interested...
Old 03-10-24, 11:15 AM
Kontact 

It strikes me that the problem with this BB design is that getting the right and left eccentric aligned with each other comes down to feel, rather than the two being mechanically linked or having guide markings:

I would suspect that the problem is that they aren't even and the spindle is not parallel to the bore of the BB shell.
Old 03-10-24, 11:17 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
I can't fathom the purpose of that BB. But are you certain you put it, the BB, together properly. Or might that play be necessary for it to work and do whatever it is that BB is supposed to do for you?

https://www.firstcomponents.com/wp-c...2-assembly.pdf
Old 03-10-24, 11:33 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Iride01
I can't fathom the purpose of that BB. But are you certain you put it, the BB, together properly. Or might that play be necessary for it to work and do whatever it is that BB is supposed to do for you?

https://www.firstcomponents.com/wp-c...2-assembly.pdf
Eccentric BBs allow you to change the chain tension on a fixed drive system - like a single speed. Or they allow you to adjust BB height.

This unit allows you to do so on bikes not designed with an eccentric in mind.
Old 03-10-24, 11:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Eccentric BBs allow you to change the chain tension on a fixed drive system - like a single speed. Or they allow you to adjust BB height.

This unit allows you to do so on bikes not designed with an eccentric in mind.
Yes, but didn't imagine this was a fixed singe speed bike. With a GRX crank it seems like the chain line would be way off. Or is this an IGH on the rear with no adjustment?
Old 03-10-24, 11:39 AM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Yes, but I can't see a fixed gear bike using a GRX crank. Seems like the chain line would be way off.
Not if you are adapting a geared bike to single speed. The eccentric does the job of the missing horizontal dropouts.

Other possible problems with this system: You could have one eccentric loose, and it is what is moving vertically.
Old 03-10-24, 11:41 AM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Kontact,

You certainly don't want the two halves being completely (180 degrees) different. You couldn't slide the spindle through in this state. But if the two halves are a couple degrees different, I doubt you or the BB would even notice.

Iride01,

The point of an eccentric BB is to be able to adapt to the quantized length of a chain by being able to adjust the distance, at least within a single chain link. They're used for bicycles without track drop-outs *or* a derailleur:
- trying out fixed gear or single speed on a non-track bike
- putting an internal hub gear on a non-track bike
- tandem bicycles which have to have a chain between the riders' cranks

In my case, I have an IGH because the derailleur hanger broke.
Likes For keraba2:
Old 03-10-24, 11:45 AM
Kontact 

Kontact,

You certainly don't want the two halves being completely (180 degrees) different. You couldn't slide the spindle through in this state. But if the two halves are a couple degrees different, I doubt you or the BB would even notice.

Iride01,

The point of an eccentric BB is to be able to adapt to the quantized length of a chain by being able to adjust the distance, at least within a single chain link. They're used for bicycles without track drop-outs *or* a derailleur:
- trying out fixed gear or single speed on a non-track bike
- putting an internal hub gear on a non-track bike
- tandem bicycles which have to have a chain between the riders' cranks

In my case, I have an IGH because the derailleur hanger broke.
A couple degrees different would be a very big deal, and would lead to the bearings being damaged in use from the side load of being twisted to try to align with the spindle.

So if you didn't think it mattered when you assembled it, that is likely why it is now not functioning correctly.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-10-24, 11:50 AM
Kontact 

Another effect of having the spindle not aligned is that the bearings could wallow out their hole in the eccentric, ovalizing it. So bearing damage you could fix with new bearings, but damage to how the bearings are seated in the eccentric might require replacing the entire unit, or at least using Loctite 609 or some other gap filling agent to keep the bearings centered.
Old 03-10-24, 12:00 PM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Kontact,

Please don't assume that I "didn't think it mattered". I aligned them when I installed it, and they were still aligned when the issue manifested. I'm simply pointing out that, while there is a lot of movement of the spindle when you rotate one shell when they are out of alignment, there is NO movement when you rotate one shell when they are nearly aligned, and that I don't think this is what caused the issue.
Old 03-10-24, 12:08 PM
Kontact 

Kontact,

Please don't assume that I "didn't think it mattered". I aligned them when I installed it, and they were still aligned when the issue manifested. I'm simply pointing out that, while there is a lot of movement of the spindle when you rotate one shell when they are out of alignment, there is NO movement when you rotate one shell when they are nearly aligned, and that I don't think this is what caused the issue.
I don't see how this pertains. If there is no movement of the spindle, that could be because the spindle is wedged between two non-aligned bearings.

One way to align the spindle on initial installation would be lock down the drive side, set your bearing preload, and then rotate the non-drive side back and forth to find whatever rotational range it has, then set the NDS in the center of that range and lock it. Then recheck pre-load and tighten crank pinch bolts. That might not work now if something is damaged, though.
Old 03-10-24, 04:19 PM
keraba2

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh yay. Let's play, "Let's speculate about a BB we've never seen and ignore the written instructions." hmm...

I'm quite certain that I've gotten everything I'm going to from this thread. I'm out.
Old 03-10-24, 04:26 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
A question born of absolute ignorance - what purpose does a bottom bracket like this serve?
Old 03-10-24, 04:43 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by choddo
A question born of absolute ignorance - what purpose does a bottom bracket like this serve?
Eccentric BBs are the smart way to work a single speed or fixed gear hub on a bike with vertical dropouts. They allow a simple and reliable to adjust chain slack, not relying on moving the wheel.

The concept is neither new nor unique, having been SOP for tandems for half a century. What is different is that with fixed and SS now trendy, we have a greater need as folks convert vertical dropout derailleur bikes to SS.

Last edited by FBinNY; 03-10-24 at 04:46 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-10-24, 04:51 PM
FBinNY 

Oh yay. Let's play, "Let's speculate about a BB we've never seen and ignore the written instructions." hmm...

I'm quite certain that I've gotten everything I'm going to from this thread. I'm out.
Not quite.

Given that you've gone to a conventional BB and chain tensioner and not pleased, you might reconsider the Eccentric BB, though perhaps another brand.

One reminder ---- just in case ---- Proper SS chain tension is ZERO tension, requiring some slack to work right. Running with tension in the return (lower) causes greatly increased noise and chain, sprocket and bearing wear.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 03-10-24, 05:03 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Eccentric BBs are the smart way to work a single speed or fixed gear hub on a bike with vertical dropouts. They allow a simple and reliable to adjust chain slack, not relying on moving the wheel.

The concept is neither new nor unique, having been SOP for tandems for half a century. What is different is that with fixed and SS now trendy, we have a greater need as folks convert vertical dropout derailleur bikes to SS.
Thanks. I did wonder if it might be related to fixies. And apologies, Kontact and Keraba2 had already answered this, I somehow completely skipped that part of the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.