Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

15 minute cities

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

15 minute cities

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-23, 11:59 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
15 minute cities

Have you heard of this idea? Thoughts?
Old 03-07-23, 12:13 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
In the exceptionally unlikely event that there is anyone other than me that does not know WTF this is, https://www.15minutecity.com/about
Old 03-07-23, 05:28 AM
Bully4

Bikes: Trek madone and emonda, one older Cannonade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but, aren't most larger cities already like that? I've worked in NYC before. It appears that a person could spend a lot of their life within a small radius. I live in the "sticks" compared to NYC. I'm not sure how well that would work around here. I have read both sides of the story concerning this idea. They would be efficient and convenient. But, they could also be used as a means of control.
Likes For Bully4:
Old 03-09-23, 11:59 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
This is the first time I've spent thinking about this issue. I live in a town of 10.2K and everything is available to me within a 10-minute bicycle ride. I can understand that not being the case in larger population centers. The fact that this target is a modest 15-minutes is pretty telling that the issue of access is not being addressed by conventional urban planning.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 03-10-23, 01:24 AM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
They are talking about limiting the times you can leave your zones in the UK, so how will going to work figure? holidays, big family shops? visiting friends and family? going to different restaurants cinemas etc? it will also be linked to video surveillance everywhere.
Old 03-10-23, 05:27 AM
Bully4

Who is they? And who gave them the right to dictate rules such as that? Again, convenience or control? All rhetorical questions.
As a bike rider, I can hold my own in commuting. As seen with the pandemic, I bet the rule makers will not follow their own guidelines.
Likes For Bully4:
Old 03-10-23, 05:35 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Yes, spend 15 minutes in San Francisco or PDX and you want to puke.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-10-23, 06:01 AM
Bully4

What happens if you need medical attention outside your zone? And your time allotment is already used?
most smaller hospitals have been closed around here. Bought up by the big conglomerates and shut down.

It doesn’t seem like this idea will work. Or is it designed that way?
Likes For Bully4:
Old 05-16-23, 06:02 AM
Kalas

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
You will own nothing, eat ze bugs in your 15 minute city and be happy, or else.
Likes For Kalas:
Old 05-16-23, 06:08 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Have you heard of this idea? Thoughts?
The joke I have with the family is that where I live now is 5 minutes from everything.
Old 05-16-23, 10:11 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Bully4
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but, aren't most larger cities already like that? I've worked in NYC before. It appears that a person could spend a lot of their life within a small radius. I live in the "sticks" compared to NYC. I'm not sure how well that would work around here. I have read both sides of the story concerning this idea. They would be efficient and convenient. But, they could also be used as a means of control.
I think that may be true in the dense urban environment, but it falls apart quickly when one gets out the the single occupancy homes.

In the times I've lived in a city, I frequently walked to the grocery store, but it always seemed like I was the only one. There would be many homes that would be a mile or two further from the store that the walk would be very inconvenient.

In my old Portland neighborhood, two grocery store chains, Safeway and Albertsons merged. And, so they rapidly closed half their stores. I was lucky that they kept the store closest to my home, and closed the one furthest, but it could easily have been the opposite.

When I was in St. Louis, it was very common that they decided to fumigate me while I was out walking.

Other than the grocery store, the selection of other services fell away quickly, or would require a couple mile walk.

I have spent time in a small city in Italy, where one could walk to essentially the entire city rather quickly. It was a unique environment with streets to small to fit many cars.
Old 05-16-23, 10:29 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
It seems to me that in a world full of cars (and suburbs) that this idea could never take off considering the repeating services/locations that would be needed to make it possible. The locations would raise their own overhead for less customer base. Can't see any near term reality for this outside the massive cities of the world. The suburb that I live in has some services nearby, such as grocery and gas, but it is simply impossible to get all you need without car access or paying too much for someone to drive you in theirs such as Uber and Lyft.
Old 05-16-23, 12:05 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
This was classically the case in most large urban areas. Still true in many large cities but it isn't nearly as prevalent as it was 50+ years ago. Small independent stores have a tough time competing with chains in the modern marketplace and chains often abandon urban cores in favor of the fringe areas where land is cheaper and provisions for parking more attainable. Reinventing the walkable urban neighborhood sounds good and has been successful in some areas but I think development patterns render this as unlikely for most people or most locations.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-16-23, 03:19 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
This concept is based on research done in the 1960's and 1970's with regard to public transit. If people had to drive to a bus stop or train station they tended to not stop but continue their trip in their automobile. The problem in the USA is that local planners let the land developers configure new housing and it was low density housing tracks with houses widely spaced to allow for attached garages for autos. The distances between houses increased by more than 50% as a result. Check out the lots dimensions in older areas that were built when light rail was available as in parts of New Orleans as compared to the Leviton subdivisions.

Once lots have been divided up and single family houses built on them it is not feasible to have adequate density for public transit. The one bright spot is the trend toward infilling with ADUs (additional dwelling units) designed for having a place for older folks to live near sons and daughters. This is also providing less expensive housing for many people in areas that are already being served by local police, fire, sewer, and water service, which saves cities money.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 05-16-23, 04:13 PM
Bully4

I'm satisfied with my "low density housing". Not everybody wants to live on top of each other. I understand that it makes sense on paper; however, it doesn't sound like fun if you don't have good neighbors. In this area, the high density housing is way cheaper due to lack of desirability.

Again- I think it should be up to an individual; not some politician that lives in a mansion on top of a hill.
Likes For Bully4:
Old 05-16-23, 05:01 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I live in a rural area and always will. I'm all in favor of working to create better urban neighborhoods, but that doesn't mean I plan to live in one. Certainly in the US no one is suggesting everyone should live in such an area, but their existence improves the community and that improves my life indirectly.

Last edited by jon c.; 05-16-23 at 05:08 PM.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 07-10-23, 03:23 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
I grew up in NYC, which, as noted, was pretty much a 15 minute city all along. If you factor the subway system, and some bike riding, you had a staggering level of convenience, including the ability to go out and party without worrying how you'd get home.

Now I live in bear in burbs, and it's not quite the same. While the bike makes most daily living easy, there are more things that demand a car, or at least an Uber.

I believe in the 15 minute concept, but remind people that life isn't binary. Shy of the 15 minute idea, we can arrange our lives on spectrum of time or convenience. One may live in less dense areas but be less dependent on cars, and use them more or less frequently.

Since a decent percentage of daily travel is commuting to work, we can start by living closer to work, of working closer to where we want to live. This is easier to work out if we assign more value to our time, and properly factor transportation cost. Once we realize that a one hour each way commute is equivalent to a 25-35% pay cut, rejiggering our life gets easier.

So while many here would consider carless as goal, I'm very happy to think about less car as a place to start.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-11-23, 03:26 PM
rykard

Bikes: Scott Arapaho, Merida T1

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
All well and good until you want to travel outside of your area, visit friends? go to a different store, try a new restaurant , go on vacation? These will be restricted..
Likes For rykard:
Old 08-28-23, 07:27 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
I believe you would simply have to pay extra to travel outside of your zone (maybe unless you could verify that it was a bona-fide emergency).

I do believe that urban planning has failed us, and that we need to build more "walkable neighborhoods," but we are not there now, and unfortunately, in this "utopian society," those that are lower income who need to live further away will be the ones who suffer most.

This reminds me of the song "Red Barchetta' by Rush.

Originally Posted by Bully4
What happens if you need medical attention outside your zone? And your time allotment is already used?
most smaller hospitals have been closed around here. Bought up by the big conglomerates and shut down.

It doesn’t seem like this idea will work. Or is it designed that way?
Old 08-31-23, 02:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
The 15 minute city concept isn't at all about control. It's about making an area so that you can get what you need by walking less than 15 minutes. This is a positive, not some dastardly consipiracy. Many major cities devote too much area towards cars. It's always a bit shocking to be in NYC and see how much of the city is devoted to cars and how much damage that does.
Originally Posted by timdow
I believe you would simply have to pay extra to travel outside of your zone (maybe unless you could verify that it was a bona-fide emergency).
15 minute city goes along fairly well with charging extra for driving in the dense parts. There are no travel restrictions, you just have to pay to drive. And some roads will be converted to pedestrian areas. Which is as it should be.

There is a disturbing amount of right wing misinformation in this thread.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 08-31-23, 05:28 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The 15 minute city concept isn't at all about control. It's about making an area so that you can get what you need by walking less than 15 minutes. This is a positive, not some dastardly consipiracy. Many major cities devote too much area towards cars. It's always a bit shocking to be in NYC and see how much of the city is devoted to cars and how much damage that does.

15 minute city goes along fairly well with charging extra for driving in the dense parts. There are no travel restrictions, you just have to pay to drive. And some roads will be converted to pedestrian areas. Which is as it should be.

There is a disturbing amount of right wing misinformation in this thread.
I'm one target demographic for 15 minute cities. Not the conspiracy theory they want to control your lives but urban design changes achieved primarily via eliminating zoning restrictions. Zoning restrictions that disallowed multi-family housing, disallowed small businesses mixed with housing. I want walkability, meaning the ability to walk to the goods and services I need.

I think zoning restrictions are part of the reason mom and pop shops have been displaced by big boxes. Indeed it is impossible to compete on price, but a neighborhood store can compete on convenience. That's been made impossible with zoning restrictions. Maybe my own version of a conspiracy theory, but I think restrictions that prevent someone from deciding to open a small shop in a neighborhood don't serve anyone but the big box stores.

I understand there are people who want to live in car suburbia, be surrounded by manicured lawns, and never see another human that isn't in a car. Dallas is their dream city. We have a billion acres of that (ok, slight exaggeration). It's extreme paranoia for those people, who are a part of that extremely dominant culture, to freak out when other people want their own neighborhoods to be something different.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 08-31-23, 06:43 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
The funny thing about a lot of the people that live in suburbia is that if they live near a big city, they go downtown fairly frequently. They probably would go there more often if it was easier and faster to get to, i.e., public transportation. They want what it offers.
Old 09-04-23, 04:34 AM
T. A. Morse

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rykard
They are talking about limiting the times you can leave your zones in the UK, so how will going to work figure? holidays, big family shops? visiting friends and family? going to different restaurants cinemas etc? it will also be linked to video surveillance everywhere.
A lot of fear in this post. Probably rooted in misinformation some people are spreading on the Internet.

Small towns are already usually 15-minute cities. Most European (and some North American) large cities are also already 15-minute cities. It's about the idea that the cities should be organized in a way that you can do most of your daily activities in the area that is within 15 minute walk from your home. All cities built before the 1960s were built that way, and outside the US they are still built that way.

When you live in 15-minute city no one forces you to live within that 15-minute-walk area. If you want to go around the entire city in your car or bus or train or on your bicycle - go ahead, no one is stopping you. The point is that you shouldn't be forced to travel to another side of the town and to have a car to do basic everyday stuff.
Old 09-04-23, 08:18 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by T. A. Morse
A lot of fear in this post. Probably rooted in misinformation some people are spreading on the Internet.

Small towns are already usually 15-minute cities. Most European (and some North American) large cities are also already 15-minute cities. It's about the idea that the cities should be organized in a way that you can do most of your daily activities in the area that is within 15 minute walk from your home. All cities built before the 1960s were built that way, and outside the US they are still built that way.

When you live in 15-minute city no one forces you to live within that 15-minute-walk area. If you want to go around the entire city in your car or bus or train or on your bicycle - go ahead, no one is stopping you. The point is that you shouldn't be forced to travel to another side of the town and to have a car to do basic everyday stuff.
Surely you realize urban access by car is restricted in many, many way and is in effect, stopped in some places. So, please stop spreading misinformation there.
Old 09-04-23, 11:40 AM
Bully4

Basically, the concept seems to be concentrated on separating a person from their car. Sorry, but restricting a person's ability to travel by means of further "taxation" is a form of control. Vehicle ownership already has numerous costs designed to support the highway system. Conspiracy or not, where does this new tax money go?
Has anybody given any consideration how easily another pandemic would spread in one of these cities? There seems to be a utopian vision that everybody will be happy and mingling in the empty streets. Sorry for the questioning attitude- still waiting for the source of the first pandemic to be divulged.

Overall, the concept sounds efficient. Most likely a good idea. I still don't think there is much variation from what already exists in larger cities. In NY, it seemed that a person needed to be "well off" to afford the expense of vehicle ownership. It appears that the 15 minute city concept envisions that process as well. As always, the source of issues occurs when some try to force their ideas onto others.
Likes For Bully4:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.