Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Question For Tadpole Riders with Rohloff

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 08:00 AM
newbert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

My new trike is outfitted with a Rohloff hub. While I'm generally quite happy with it, the gear-shifting controller is awkwardly mounted IMO. Right now it's on the handle of the right-hand handlebar. Being a tadpole trike, that handlebar is oriented vertically (more or less). Twisting the grip in that orientation creates a muscle strain in my forearm and elbow, so I'm wondering whether there are alternatives for controlling the gearing on the Rohloff.

For example, bar-end shifting would be ideal for me, but I'm told that nothing can be changed. But I find that hard to believe.

So, so do any of you with a Rohloff on your tadpole trike have the gear-shifting modified to make it more comfortable? If so, what did you change? And where did you get the modification done?

Thanks!
Bert
Old 05-10-23, 03:20 AM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by newbert
My new trike is outfitted with a Rohloff hub. While I'm generally quite happy with it, the gear-shifting controller is awkwardly mounted IMO. Right now it's on the handle of the right-hand handlebar. Being a tadpole trike, that handlebar is oriented vertically (more or less). Twisting the grip in that orientation creates a muscle strain in my forearm and elbow, so I'm wondering whether there are alternatives for controlling the gearing on the Rohloff.

For example, bar-end shifting would be ideal for me, but I'm told that nothing can be changed. But I find that hard to believe.

So, so do any of you with a Rohloff on your tadpole trike have the gear-shifting modified to make it more comfortable? If so, what did you change? And where did you get the modification done?

Thanks!
Bert
Whoever told you that you cannot change things is ridiculously wrong. The handlebars, shifters, and brakes on my Catrike Expedition are very different from when I purchased it in 2009. I like my arms straight out in front of me at shoulder level and my grips horizontal rather than vertical. I don't have a Rohloff hub, but the 3X9 bar end shifters are right next to the shoulder height grips and brake levers. I also use TT bar end brake levers which required changing to Avid "road" brake calipers. I have purchased and altered various bar end bars to put everything where I want them. All bikes require customization to fit the owner's needs. My expedition is massively customized. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Old 05-10-23, 05:58 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Cinq5 Shift:R thumb shifters

Here's a review

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 05-10-23 at 06:01 AM.
Old 05-11-23, 09:50 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Unless the Cinq 5 product linked above is still available (website out of date) then IMO the bike shop was, in essence, correct. The unique dual cable construction of the Rohloff shifter means any old bar-end shifter cannot be used as an alternative. Ever since I saw the o.p. I've been chewing on the problem. What I have so far is: I'm imagining the OEM shifter is some kind of grip shifter? I didn't want to work with one of those either so I picked a bent with bar-ends. Love them. What I also know is that the Terra-cycle people have a number of ways to mount a grip shifter so it operates in a horizontal plane. That might be an end solution right there. I don't know, but I don't think it would work for me. In the 80's before electronic cruise controls, motorcycle riders used to use plastic extensions to the throttle grips so they could use the weight of their wrists to keep the throttle open without hand fatigue. I think something like that, applied to a grip shifter might allow it to work like a top of grip bar end shifter. Sorry I can't describe things any better than this.
Old 05-11-23, 04:41 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Hmmmm.......very interesting, Thanks. I wonder whether it's still available or how well it works when installed on a vertical bar (such as on a trike).
Old 05-11-23, 04:50 PM
newbert

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Unless the Cinq 5 product linked above is still available (website out of date) then IMO the bike shop was, in essence, correct. The unique dual cable construction of the Rohloff shifter means any old bar-end shifter cannot be used as an alternative. Ever since I saw the o.p. I've been chewing on the problem. What I have so far is: I'm imagining the OEM shifter is some kind of grip shifter? I didn't want to work with one of those either so I picked a bent with bar-ends. Love them. What I also know is that the Terra-cycle people have a number of ways to mount a grip shifter so it operates in a horizontal plane. That might be an end solution right there. I don't know, but I don't think it would work for me. In the 80's before electronic cruise controls, motorcycle riders used to use plastic extensions to the throttle grips so they could use the weight of their wrists to keep the throttle open without hand fatigue. I think something like that, applied to a grip shifter might allow it to work like a top of grip bar end shifter. Sorry I can't describe things any better than this.
O.P. here ----Yes, the OEM shifter is indeed a grip shifter, that requires significant force to change gears. Operating it on a horizontal plane might indeed do the trick for me and is a solution I'll be looking into.

I'm familiar with that motorcycle device you refer to. It's called a "cramp buster". I used one on my CanAm Spyder and it worked well. - But the Rohloff grip a) takes significantly more effort to rotate than a motorcycle throttle, and b) the Rohloff rotates in "notchy" steps while the motorcycle throttle turns much more smootly. So, I don't think this would be a useful solution.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-12-23, 11:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Originally Posted by newbert
Hmmmm.......very interesting, Thanks. I wonder whether it's still available or how well it works when installed on a vertical bar (such as on a trike).
I've tried thumb shifters (not for a Rohloff) on a vertical bar and find that they are a bit clunky but functional. Better IMO mounted low than high, primarily I could use both palm and thumb to shift.
Old 05-18-23, 05:09 PM
newbert

OP here, again. FWIW, I got something installed today that. I think, will be a big help for me in shifting the Rohloff with less effort:

shift star (rad-innovations.com)

The photos are a bit unclear, but I think that the one on the right will show how it works on a vertically oriented shifter.. In my case, I had it installed much more towrds the top of the grip than shown.
Old 05-20-23, 06:17 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

That Shift Star product looks like a good solution, although a bit pricey. Their other adaptability products are nice as well.
Old 05-21-23, 07:06 AM
newbert

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
That Shift Star product looks like a good solution, although a bit pricey. Their other adaptability products are nice as well.
Yup, it's a bit pricey, but what isn't these days? Especially with regard to recumbent trikes.....