Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to create a SUPER INNER TUBE!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-23, 04:14 PM
rc5781

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

I ride a 27.5 mountain bike mostly in the suburbs and kept getting flats on my rear wheel. I'm guessing they were pinch flats because I wasn't finding any kind of shrapnel in the vicinity of the flat on the tire. Anyway, here's what I did and haven't gotten a flat since.

I took my inner tube that got a flat and cut out the valve system. When replacing a new inner tube I first put the old inner tube into the tire, then put in the new inner tube. This effectively results in an inner tube with 2 times thickness. Worked like a charm. Will be doing this on my front tire as well, but haven't gotten a flat yet. I HATE flats, especially when you're exactly the furthest point from your return destination, thus I share...
Old 05-18-23, 05:10 PM
CrimsonEclipse

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 648 Times in 381 Posts
1. you created a tire liner. (nice) If it works for you, perfect!
2. Consider puncture resistant tires if punctures become a problem in the future. (I have ranted about the marginal protection of tire liners and slime tubes over and over so I'll save you some time)
Likes For CrimsonEclipse:
Old 05-18-23, 07:03 PM
rc5781

Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
1. you created a tire liner. (nice) If it works for you, perfect!
2. Consider puncture resistant tires if punctures become a problem in the future. (I have ranted about the marginal protection of tire liners and slime tubes over and over so I'll save you some time)
"Puncture resistant tires" sound expensive to my thrifty soul. If I run into problems I'll lookup your rants. Also, slime tubes sound weird to me. Not sure how they compare to a 200% thickness inner tube.
Old 05-18-23, 08:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
If these are pinch flats, much easier is a few more psi of air in your tires. (Are you getting two holes side by side perhaps a half inch apart? Classic not enough air. Yes, enough cushion may stop it but a little more air will save you work plus make your ride a touch faster, sportier, maybe even more fun.)

If these are not pinch flats but caused by debris, carry on or take CrimsonEclipse's advice (or use sealant or go tubeless or ... Lots of options and many threads on the subject.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-18-23, 09:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by rc5781
"Puncture resistant tires" sound expensive to my thrifty soul. If I run into problems I'll lookup your rants. Also, slime tubes sound weird to me. Not sure how they compare to a 200% thickness inner tube.
There is a difference between thrifty and just cheap. Buying good tires that will last a long time and help prevent flats are a good thing and the thrifty choice. Cheap tires and cheap parts are more expensive generally as they need more replacement or in this case can cause more flats.

In terms of liners I would go for Tannus Armour which is a thick lightweight foam which actually gives you something. A thin rubber liner maybe from an old tube is marginally better maybe in some situations but at that point I would rather just have a good tire and quality tube.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-18-23, 10:04 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 831 Posts
Just about any thorn-resistant tube that meets the end of its service life around here gets repurposed in this manner. Not for my own bikes (I use SpinSkins or good plastic liners), but bikes I build for others and nonprofits.

When installing the tube, the added thickness of the added liner can affect the tube diameter, and so it's a good idea to have as much air out of the tube as practical to avoid folding the tube in on itself - which is eventually likely to create a flat on its own due to rubbing of the folds.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 05-18-23, 10:49 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
You could take another tire with a minimal number of knobs or none at all like a smooth road tire..., cut the beads off it and use it to line the new tire. Install & inflate a thorn resistant tube. Bingo-bango. A tube in a tire in a tire! Roofin' nailz got nuthin' on you.

#no-flatz-4ever

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 05-19-23, 06:35 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
If you're inflating the tire to 80% psi, it's very unlikely that you're getting pinch flats.
Likes For freeranger:
Old 05-19-23, 06:52 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I'm not sure that an additional liner, DIY or otherwise, would do much to prevent pinch flats. I hope it works for you, though.
Old 05-19-23, 07:18 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,565 Times in 1,027 Posts
Careful adding another tube. It is difficult to get both in there without any creases and will eventually cause the tube to fail.
Old 05-19-23, 07:19 AM
rc5781

Originally Posted by Kontact
Careful adding another tube. It is difficult to get both in there without any creases and will eventually cause the tube to fail.
I inflate to maybe 20psi. Deflate and inflate to maybe 30 psi. Maybe repeat one more time and then fully inflate to avoid this.
Old 05-19-23, 07:23 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
But then you keep that tube & add another. Just keep going until you need to drill a hole to squirt in a can of expanding weather foam.

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 05-19-23, 07:46 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 274 Posts
Sorry I hate goo slime forever.

Using a discarded inner tube as a liner is an old trick that gets done to a lot of kids bikes.

I hate flats, especially for my ebike since I can venture out very far with it.

Tire failure prevention is not difficult at all.

Your first line of defense is a good strong gravel tire or ebike rated tire, Schwalbe has a ton of those.

Then for the tire liner, I use Mr.Tuffy, go read up about them.

Last, choose a inner tube that's as large as possible so it don't stretch. If the tire is a 700x35, don't use a 700x23-35 inner tube. Use the one that is 700x35-50.

I have yet to experience a failure from doing the above three.

Sorry I hate goo slime forever. Perhaps because every time I remove a tire from a rim, I get a messy surprise.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
schwalbe-marathon-e-plus.jpg (25.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg
mr tuffy.jpg (252.0 KB, 83 views)
Likes For soyabean:
Old 05-19-23, 10:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
A tube in a tube? Seems like you are doubling the rolling resistance that the tube causes. It's partly the reason some went to tubeless tires. To get rid of that extra rolling resistance. Perhaps we should use latex tubes? But then again that would seem to be about as beneficial as just a butyl tube. Maybe not.

I haven't flatted in almost a year and a half. I'm not sure why I'd even worry so much about trying to prevent a flat.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 05-19-23, 02:24 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
You can also get solid rubber tires, no inflation needed.

Benefits: Never flats. You get to enjoy the history before John Dunlap invented the pneumatic tire.

Downside: You find out why Mr. Dunlap invented the pneumatic tire.
Likes For pdlamb: