Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Right Hook

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-23, 09:40 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Right Hook

Technically, they timed the light perfectly and beat me off the line.
(They did signal with bent left arm a second behind me.)

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 06-22-23, 09:50 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Beat you off the line Guy had a rolling start while you were watching the light; the execution was flawless!

I bet that's his regular commute, and he knows the timing all around. I've been pleasantly surprised recently since Columbus
lowered the speed limit downtown to 25 mph and adjusted the traffic signals to generally keep traffic at that pace. Rather than starting from one stop light and having to sprint to the next to beat it, it's just changing to green as I arrive.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 06-22-23, 12:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I see no issues. Seems like a well executed right turn with plenty of clearance for safety from the traffic they just passed.

Perhaps if I'd seen it for real my impression might be different.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-22-23, 04:02 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
So? It's only a right hook if you're moving too. That was a well executed turn.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-23-23, 08:35 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Originally Posted by Korina
So? It's only a right hook if you're moving too. That was a well executed turn.
Playing devils advocate here.

There is no similar maneuver allowed in a motor vehicle: traffic cannot turn right across another lane of traffic. This is essentially what the other cyclist did. Were I in the right lane intending to cross the intersection in a motor vehicle, and a vehicle from my left times the light to make a right across my lane of travel, you bet I'd use my horn and my favorite words of anger and frustration.

Unfortunately, traffic engineers put cyclists in bike lanes to the right of all traffic, which sets them up for this.
Old 06-23-23, 09:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam

There is no similar maneuver allowed in a motor vehicle: traffic cannot turn right across another lane of traffic. This is essentially what the other cyclist did. Were I in the right lane intending to cross the intersection in a motor vehicle, and a vehicle from my left times the light to make a right across my lane of travel, you bet I'd use my horn and my favorite words of anger and frustration.

Unfortunately, traffic engineers put cyclists in bike lanes to the right of all traffic, which sets them up for this.
Wouldn't you have also honked at the traffic stopped in front of you at a green light?
Old 06-23-23, 12:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Wouldn't you have also honked at the traffic stopped in front of you at a green light?
If I was driving, and the light just turned green right as I got to the end of the block? Hell, no. The cyclist got to the corner the exact second the light changed. If there had been a car stopped for the red light, a car behind it with the same timing would expect to wait for the car ahead to start rolling right after the light changed.
Old 06-23-23, 12:33 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam

I understand you're only playing devils advocate, which I appreciate, but I will say this....Not all vehicles on the roadways are created equal and thus the rules apply a little differently.

A good example of this is that if I were traveling at the bike-speeds I do on many of the faster roads (I ride on) in a traditional car, I could be pulled over for driving too slow.

Another example is that large trucks often pull out into traffic from a parking lot, causing cars to come to a halt. (I'm not sure this is actually legal, but it is (in effect) legal, because it's a common practice -- one of them unwritten rules).

Maybe someone could make a decent case against the cyclist in the video, but I didn't see a real problem in what he did.

https://www.anthracitelaw.com/maryla...peeding-ticket

Driving at a Slow Speed – TA 21-804

In Maryland, willfully driving a motor vehicle at a slow speed impeding normal and reasonable traffic movement is unlawful. This can be very difficult for the state to prove. Driving at a speed that impedes the flow of traffic under TA 21-804 carries one point, or three if it contributes to an accident.
Old 06-23-23, 01:33 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
Maybe someone could make a decent case against the cyclist in the video, but I didn't see a real problem in what he did.
When you have a hammer, every thing looks like a nail;
When you have a camera on a bike, everything looks like a problem.
Old 06-23-23, 02:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So are we now debating whether there's anything to debate?

Looks more like an etiquette issue than a safety one to me.. I don't get the sense that OP was annoyed in the slightest, and notes that it was timed perfectly. I might or might not have done it myself depending on how much clearance I had around Bill. Hard to judge from the video.
Old 06-23-23, 04:49 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If I was driving, and the light just turned green right as I got to the end of the block? Hell, no. The cyclist got to the corner the exact second the light changed. If there had been a car stopped for the red light, a car behind it with the same timing would expect to wait for the car ahead to start rolling right after the light changed.
I use to live in Chicago. In motor vehicles, as soon as the light turned green, if the car in front wasn't moving, horns were blaring. If I didn't live in the South now where we try to be more polite, I'd be honking too if in a car. Some here take 3 to 5 seconds to put their phones down and start moving.

As far as the video and interaction of the two cyclist it seemed that the passing cyclist might not even have been stopped and was rolling up to the light at some speed anticipating the green. And the passing of others in the same lane for bicycles isn't well defined in laws. Though perhaps the OP was in the bike lane and the other cyclist in the other lane. At the moment, I seem to be having the missing YouTube video issue that BF has. So I can't go back to look for that.

Still if a person completes a pass safely and is able to enter the lane with out anything other than invoking the ire of the one they just passed, then legally, there wasn't anything done wrong no matter how my I try to look at it from any other view.

Etiquette might be the only thing that might hold some water. I'm not certain that the OP was even bothered by this. I think it might have been more just to see what others thought and enjoy a box of popcorn.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-23-23 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-24-23, 01:48 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
…. In motor vehicles, as soon as the light turned green, if the car in front wasn't moving, horns were blaring. If I didn't live in the South now where we try to be more polite, I'd be honking too if in a car….
In my environs going on green risks a t-bone. I have to confirm that crossing traffic will stop. I can’t tell from the video how well the cyclist could see to the left.

It is true that as cyclists we can corner faster and provide more clearance than a motorist (except motorcyclists). So we can make moves that would be unsafe for a motorist. However not all cyclists use mirrors, and anyone can lose situational awareness.

It sounds like mr_bill was aware of him, but in my view a move like that is impolite and could startle the cyclist being overtaken.
Old 06-25-23, 07:11 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Technically, they timed the light perfectly and beat me off the line.
(They did signal with bent left arm a second behind me.)-mr. bill
Whether riding or driving there seems to be a human urge to conserve momentum...well, especially while riding for obvious reasons. And also an attraction to what seem like perfectly-timed maneuvers and interactions. But these two urges will lead to disaster in traffic where others have their own urges and timings and levels of selfishness and inattentiveness. I wasn't always such a buzz-kill, but the older I get the more I think of Shakespeare's Falstaff quote usually rendered as "Discretion is the better part of valor."
Old 06-25-23, 12:40 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So are we now debating whether there's anything to debate?
Isn't this a requirement in A&S?
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-25-23, 02:15 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Isn't this a requirement in A&S?
hat tip to you!
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 06-26-23, 04:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
fun video thanks for sharing
Old 06-26-23, 03:35 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Can you repost without the sound track. I'd like to hear what you may have said when this happened.
Old 06-26-23, 07:35 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
i see no issue with this. he didn't cut you off, cause you to slow, contact you, or even get in a position in which any possible movement of your bike would cause an accident. really not a right hook. he passed you, and then turned. it's very clear at 8 seconds that a) the light is green when he enters the intersection and b) you're not moving yet.
Old 07-23-23, 09:19 PM
bikelif3

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
A right turning cyclist who blows through a green crosswalk is just as bad as as a right turning driver who blows through a green crosswalk...
Old 07-23-23, 09:29 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by bikelif3
A right turning cyclist who blows through a green crosswalk is just as bad as as a right turning driver who blows through a green crosswalk...
that’s a pretty broad generalization. if there is nobody IN the crosswalk, there’s no need to stop. and common sense suggests that pedestrians don’t suddenly move backwards, so entering a crosswalk 10+ feet behind a pedestrian is hardly a risk to anyone, in the same way that going 57mph on a freeway with a 55mph limit is a nearly victimless crime.

on the other hand, cars and their drivers kill thousands of pedestrians every year, and no doubt some of them were in crosswalks.
Old 07-23-23, 09:37 PM
bikelif3

Originally Posted by mschwett
that’s a pretty broad generalization. if there is nobody IN the crosswalk, there’s no need to stop. and common sense suggests that pedestrians don’t suddenly move backwards, so entering a crosswalk 10+ feet behind a pedestrian is hardly a risk to anyone, in the same way that going 57mph on a freeway with a 55mph limit is a nearly victimless crime.

on the other hand, cars and their drivers kill thousands of pedestrians every year, and no doubt some of them were in crosswalks.
Cyclist passed car on the left side. Car was blocking full view of crosswalk situation. Cyclist didn't have 100% awareness of the situation.
Old 07-29-23, 08:45 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Cyclist passed car on the left side. Car was blocking full view of crosswalk situation. Cyclist didn't have 100% awareness of the situation.
Not in this video. Create a new thread with a link if you want to discuss whatever happened in some other video you have in mind.
Old 07-30-23, 08:48 PM
bikelif3

Originally Posted by UniChris
Not in this video. Create a new thread with a link if you want to discuss whatever happened in some other video you have in mind.
Crosswalk was green even before the cyclist showed up on the screen...
Old 07-30-23, 09:03 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Crosswalk was green even before the cyclist showed up on the screen...
Irrelevant as it could be clearly seen by both the cyclist and the camera that no one was anywhere near the crosswalk.

Crosswalk laws do not require yielding to non-existent users, only those actually present, and as such do not require even slowing when it can clearly be seen that no one is anywhere near.

More importantly, your claim that

Cyclist passed car on the left side.

Is pure falsehood. What the cyclist passed was another cyclist. If you've ever been anywhere near a person on a bike, you know that we don't screen much - especially not in a way the endures as the viewer's perspective changes.

Fact is you're imagining something very different than what happened - if it's an honest mistake you need to re-examine the evidence.

Otherwise the logical conclusion is that you're trolling for fun - but doing a bad job of it, since you're making claims so readily disproven.

Last edited by UniChris; 07-30-23 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-30-23, 09:10 PM
bikelif3

The video footage was from a car between the cyclist and the crosswalk. Cyclist could not have SEEN through car taking video.

CROSSWALK WAS GREEN EVEN BEFORE THE CYCLIST SHOWED UP ON THE SCREEN.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.