Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

[gear hub] What parts break when over-torquing?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-23, 03:54 AM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 99 Posts

Hello,

Shimano recommends not going lower than a ratio of 2, eg. 40T chainring and 20T cog so that the Nexus/Alfine hub doesn't get too much torque.

I read that a Nexus is meant to withstand a maximum torque of 50Nm, and even the 250W Bafang BBS01B mid-drive can add up to 80Nm to the mix.

Provided I pay super attention to never shift gears under load — stop pedaling, wait for the motor to stop, shift gear, resume —, could a Nexus 7/8 take the torque of a 40/23 combo (ratio of 1,73)?

And out of curiosity, what part(s) can break when applying too much input torque?

Thank you.
Old 06-27-23, 06:05 AM
Winfried

Thanks. I know about the Nexus5, but its range would be too narrow for use in hilly terrain and a 250W mid-drive.

Still curious what parts break when over-torquing.
Old 06-27-23, 07:06 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
I read that a Nexus is meant to withstand a maximum torque of 50Nm, and even the 250W Bafang BBS01B mid-drive can add up to 80Nm to the mix.
Horses for courses.

Enviolo Trekking: 85Nm rating. 380% gear range. Other models up to 100Nm.

https://enviolo.com/products/
Old 06-27-23, 07:19 AM
Winfried

I'd rather use a Nexus/Alfine
Old 06-27-23, 08:23 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I think Shimano have an e-rated Alfine in both 8 and 11. I haven't looked at them in a while, but I was considering one of them when I add a motor to my trike. They would likely still have that 2:1 limit (as does Rohloff). In any case, your gearing range will be more limited than that provided by a derailleur/cassette system. The Enviolo hub is quite nice, but heavy. According to their specs, the Trekking hub is not compatable with e-bikes. You'd have to opt for a HD one.

Last edited by Moe Zhoost; 06-27-23 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-27-23, 09:36 AM
Winfried

Thanks

SHIMANO ALFINE Internal Geared Hub Disc Brake 8-speed SG-S7001-8
The SHIMANO ALFINE S7001-8 hub offers a wide 307% gear range and an improved internal structure for better gear engagement. It is approved for E-BIKE and non E-BIKE use and is available in black and silver.
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...G-S7001-8.html

Elsewhere it says "With Centerlock disc mount. V-brake compatible", so possibly not Roller Brake-compatible.
Old 06-27-23, 10:01 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
For every action there is an equal & opposite reaction. The torque rating so far as I can tell has to do with the reactionary forces the axle transmits to the dropouts via the anti-rotation washer.

3 speed IGH axle by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr

My memory is foggy on the details of some long-lost internet link I read one time, so please forgive my uncertainty about the shifting dog also being so close to the axle that makes it susceptible to failure from excessive input torque as opposed to near the hub shell like a Rohloff. I think this was addressed with the latest C-7000 series Alfine hubs where a bit of torque actually helps complete the shift. But C-6000 and below remain the weaker design.

Last edited by base2; 06-27-23 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-27-23, 10:22 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
My guess would be the checkbook.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 06-27-23, 11:20 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
I would also recommend going for an Enviolo hub. Less to really no maintenance and plenty of range and they make a heavy duty and cargo version that would be perfect for your situation if you are looking for ultimate reliability. A Shimano Nexus hub is about the last hub I would want for an e-bike.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-27-23, 12:53 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
this seems like a variant of a classic

Choose 2 out of the 3

Durable
Desired Gear range
Lower cost

Old 06-27-23, 03:44 PM
Winfried

So at this point, we don't know what breaks inside an over-torqued (Shimano) gear hub whose axle nuts are correctly greased and tightened ("30 foot-pounds/40Nm each MINIMUM!").
Old 06-27-23, 05:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
^^^That sounds about right.
Old 06-27-23, 05:43 PM
Winfried

If that's the case, it's so simple that it shouldn't prevent people from using a < 2 chairing/cog ratio if they need to (40/23 in my case).

Dan Burkhart Do you think it's a crazy idea?
Old 06-27-23, 11:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

So at this point, we don't know what breaks inside an over-torqued (Shimano) gear hub whose axle nuts are correctly greased and tightened ("30 foot-pounds/40Nm each MINIMUM!").
Well, in addition to the axle spinning inside the anti-rotation washer (pic above) there is the driver unit that can sometimes have problems.

Chipped & broken by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Notice the chunk missing, not from the pawl on the right, due to an errant power-shift, but from the part that constrains the pawl due to the torque transmitted? The near pawl with the missing half-moon shaped chunk above it is actually sitting at an angle, too and no longer moved freely.

This is the component that left-most, in the center row in picture 1 of post one of this thread. Next to the e-clip.

Last edited by base2; 06-27-23 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-28-23, 02:49 AM
Winfried

Not sure what I should look at, but then, it's 1) a "3 speed IGH axle", so not a Nexus 7/8, and 2) the axle spun — were the nuts properly greased and tightened and/or the anti-rotation solid enough to handle the extra torque?

Indeed, I thought about pawls breaking… but although the Nexus 7 does have pawls, the latest Nexus 8 only have rollers so that's one worry less.

Big brand e-bikes with mid-drive motors + Nexus 8 are not unknown.

Once the axle nuts are properly set and the user pays attention never to shift under load, a < 2 ratio might not be such a risk after all.
Old 06-28-23, 04:07 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Not sure what I should look at, but then, it's 1) a "3 speed IGH axle", so not a Nexus 7/8, and 2) the axle spun — were the nuts properly greased and tightened and/or the anti-rotation solid enough to handle the extra torque?

Indeed, I thought about pawls breaking… but although the Nexus 7 does have pawls, the latest Nexus 8 only have rollers so that's one worry less.

Big brand e-bikes with mid-drive motors + Nexus 8 are not unknown.

Once the axle nuts are properly set and the user pays attention never to shift under load, a < 2 ratio might not be such a risk after all.
Well, you do have me on the rollers engaging with the hub shell. I'm not sure if there would be anything other than slippage or exceeding the hub shell integrity failure due to internal pressure or some other such theoretical conceivable failure.

But something has to engage and disengage the various sun & planet carriers. The engineering philosophy and execution is very similar to all products in Shimano's line.

You asked what part would fail. My bet is the ones with the same function as the ones in the pictures up thread, no matter which version any Shimano hub is used.

The 3 speed is reputed to be the toughest of them all. So, there is that.

The Nexus 8 big-bike brand bikes all have shift sensors inline &/or Di2 programming that disengages the motor when a shift is detected. The 7000 series are overbuilt to handle e-bike torque. The operative take away is e-motor torque is much smoother (less cyclical than human generated torque) and the shifting pull is reversed so that when an errant shift happen under load the shift is assisted instead of impeded.

Last edited by base2; 06-28-23 at 04:18 AM.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-28-23, 06:03 AM
Winfried

I'll include screenshots in case that page on Flickr goes MIA one day

Old 06-28-23, 07:14 AM
anga

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 21 Posts
This is what I gathered from various forums and not based on experience. Use at own risk

If you spin rather than mash and stay seated while pedaling, one can go down to a ratio of 1.3

The justification goes something like this. The minimum ratio of 2 is not linked to the wheel size. If a ratio of 2 is acceptable for a 20" wheel and a 28" wheel, then the hub can handle a ratio lower then 2.
622/406 = 1.53
2/1.53 = 1.3

Standing on the pedals and mashing at a ratio of 2 can produce a torque higher than spinning seated at a ratio of 1.3

I plan on a triple crank (alfine 8-speed at the rear) with the ratio going down to 1.3 on the smallest chainring.

Last edited by anga; 06-28-23 at 09:13 AM.
Likes For anga:
Old 06-28-23, 07:25 AM
Winfried

Thanks for the input.

Indeed, I always spin, and with a gear hub, never stand on the pedals because I read somewhere it's risky — it the hub slips, it can get messy.

Good to read that the ratio could then be lower.