Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

why do delta trikes seem to "push" with only one rear wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 10:53 AM
lectraplayer

Bikes: Kent Gran Concor 10 speed, Western Flyer 10 speed, JC Higgins (Sears) cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am finding that many delta trikes seem to just use one wheel to drive with. While I can see reducing tire wear and improving agility on flat ground, it is really awkward riding mine as it makes mine feel like it "digs," tends to want to lift a tire, and in general loses traction easily. Has anyone tried a delta that "pushes" with both rear wheels? Most I find online speaks of using just one wheel.
Old 04-01-14, 11:02 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Same issue with cars. In a nutshell, you can't drive both wheels equally with a solid axle because when you turn, the inner wheel will be rotating less than the outer wheel even in a very slight turn. Cars have differentials, too expensive for generic trikes.

Handling and performance suffers for everyday use when you have a solid axle with no differential action allowed. If you have a welded rear axle, you will feel like you are plowing. The bike will seem to skip and stutter as you make harder turns. Not very pleasant.

For racing though, it is desired to have a solid drive axle. Most trike racers will lean the trikes so to be only on 2 wheels when they turn which mitigates the negative impacts of a solid rear axle.
Old 04-01-14, 11:05 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
When building a delta, rear wheel drive trike you have two inexpensive options:
1) single wheel drive
2) "live" axle = both wheels fixed and dual wheel drive

and then there's the expensive option: a differential, allowing both wheels to drive but also to rotate at different speeds.

Basically a live axle drive will handle equally poor in both directions of turn, and due to the difference in circumference between the inner and outer wheel, one wheel will have to "scrub", slip & slide a little, fighting the turn and causing tire wear.
Old 04-01-14, 11:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Having 2 driving wheels on a common axle calls for a differential so that one can go faster (or slower) when going around curves. These are pricy and heavy so cheap trikes opt out and have single wheel drive.

Years ago there was a trike (don't ask, I don't remember) that had both wheels share a common axle, but each wheel was on a freewheel and so the outer wheel on a curve could overrun the inner. This is a nice simple and efficient design, except that it can' be used with any kind of hub brake, which is why you don't see it often.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-01-14, 12:06 PM
dabac

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Years ago there was a trike (don't ask, I don't remember) that had both wheels share a common axle, but each wheel was on a freewheel and so the outer wheel on a curve could overrun the inner. This is a nice simple and efficient design, except that it can' be used with any kind of hub brake, which is why you don't see it often.
Although they still turn funny, as the driving inner wheel will fight the turn a bit.
Old 04-01-14, 12:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by dabac
Although they still turn funny, as the driving inner wheel will fight the turn a bit.
Yes, but it wasn't that bad, and it made for a very light design. Also, back in the day, it was necessary to lift the outer wheel on racing trikes to maximize cornering speed without tipping. (ask a 5 year old) That argued for inside wheel drive, so it worked out.

Like all design, it's about trade offs. I suspect that the OP's problem and that many (most?) adult trikes are designed for seniors or utility purposes, and a hub brake greatly simplifies the design. Since performance isn't a real issue (to the designers) they opt for the cheap simple solution of single wheel drive.

I suspect that the differential question is one reason that so many recumbent trikes are opting for single rear wheel drive.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 04-01-14, 12:17 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Because there is only 1 wheel driving, and it is off center ...

there are German deltas with a differential but those Germans don't work for cheap.

they would be Recumbent rather than Upright types ..

Tadpole types are simplet to drive via 1 center rear wheel ..

there are front wheel drive delta designs too ..
A hand driven crank friendly design for Para cyclists W/O leg function.

Last edited by fietsbob; 04-05-14 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-05-14, 11:31 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
For racing though, it is desired to have a solid drive axle. Most trike racers will lean the trikes so to be only on 2 wheels when they turn which mitigates the negative impacts of a solid rear axle.
Ok, I have not looked closely at trike racing so apparently my assumptions were wrong, please tell more.

had assumed it was a sport for people with handicaps preventing balance on 2 wheels.
but they actually balance on just 2 when turning? this blows away my assumption of lack of ability; why not race bikes then?
Old 04-05-14, 02:13 PM
Shaneferd

Bikes: Bike(s)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's a quick link to observe some trike racers negotiating corners at speed:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k-o2-1IA4A

They appear to lean into the corner while accounting for road camber and given slope, maintaining their COG inside the turn to avoid an upset.
The differential design was originally patented by a fellow named Starley in the mid 1880's, and incorporated into their trikes. There are quite a few contemporary differential systems being used in delta configuration.
Old 04-05-14, 02:33 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What you need is a Posi Trac differential, might be a little heavy though.
Old 04-05-14, 02:42 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Al1943
What you need is a Posi Trac differential, might be a little heavy though.
I'm more of a Torsen fan myself.

Old 04-05-14, 03:25 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'm more of a Torsen fan myself.
You sent me to the Wikipedia on that one. Looks like a good choice too, but I think a Ford 9-inch may still be the torque monster choice.
Old 04-06-14, 07:31 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
fb

In cars I am a great fan of torsen diffs. Does anyone even make one for a trike?
Old 04-06-14, 09:43 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Now that we're in race car terminology, a "push" (running straight in the corners) is what's going to happen to a delta trike that drives both rear wheels via a solid axle.
Old 04-06-14, 11:22 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by rydabent
fb

In cars I am a great fan of torsen diffs. Does anyone even make one for a trike?
No, not only because of the massive weight penalty involved, but because they're simply not needed since trikes generally aren't used climbing hills in ice and snow. If wheel slippage is so bad that you can't move, lift the trike into a new rut and continue.

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Now that we're in race car terminology, a "push" (running straight in the corners) is what's going to happen to a delta trike that drives both rear wheels via a solid axle.
There'a a bit of fighting on low speed turns, but at anything higher the weight shift (tipping) causes the inside wheel to slip, and the outside wheel drives it around the turn. I don't know what would happen on a recumbent trike where the tipping forces are much lower, though I suspect it would be similar.

Last edited by FBinNY; 04-06-14 at 11:40 AM.