Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-23, 05:08 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
How so? Have you done any sort of scientific testing on a 15k vs a 5k bike from the same manufacturer with the same shapes and geo and what not?
Or is it just a perception that a more expensive bike must be more delicate because of price?
Scientific testing in a lab is not the same as a daily grind out in the real world....$ 14 000 dollar bikes are not designed for heavy duty utilitarian uses. Would you put fenders and racks and all kinds of bags on a $ 14 000 dollar bike and use it for commuting in all weather conditions, loaded touring, off road bike packing, trail riding ??...I don't think you or anybody would....These super expensive fancy bikes are just toys to be used on the weekends to impress other club riders or for winning imaginary races on Zwift. They have absolutely zero utilitarian and practical value.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-13-23, 05:10 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Since a lot of the difference in price comes down to the carbon fiber used, and the complexity of the layup, I'm pretty sure you can't do that in any meaningful way. Plus, you're talking about taking complete components off a complete frame, not taking the individual components down to their smallest pieces and putting them back together.

A Rolex, BTW, has no more parts than any other autowind watch and you can snag those for pretty cheap, and they might just do the job of keeping time as well as the Rolex. The Timex mentioned above will probably do a BETTER job of keeping time, largely by virtue of not being mechanical.
I am not a fan of Rolex watches. You are right that many inexpensive watches keep just as good of time. But, Rolex watches do appreciate in value from new and one won’t lose their ass when they go to resell it.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Old 01-13-23, 05:13 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
If every additional expense must be justified with some sort of measurable factor of improvement in equivalent proportion, then a $14k bike is a terrible choice over a $5k bike. However, some people are emotionally stimulated by riding a bike that is the pinnacle of current technology, and have the financial means to be able to scratch that itch. Utilitarian practicality and concerns about long-term durability generally aren't significant considerations in the decision at this level. If I had the financial means, I would be one of those people because hot bikes excite me, and I've been doing this thing long enough to recognize and appreciate some of the subtle differences between good and great. Even if I'm not getting down the road any faster than I would on a cheaper bike, pleasure in the journey is part of the joy of riding. If my enjoyment level is increased, there is value in that to me, even if it's not a measurable factor.
At least you're being nice, thank you. And you are correct, if you have the money what the heck, buy a $15,000 bike or more. That was not my argument though, there was nothing said about if you have the money you're stupid for buying a $15,000 bike, I wasn't judging a person for spending the money. The original question was asking if it was worth it, I simply pointed out that the value of such a bike is not that huge of an improvement to deem it worth the expense especially if you're on the fence about it spending that kind of money.

Besides, the bike doesn't make the rider, the rider makes the bike, so other than having a very expensive bike, it won't do anything for a person's speed.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 01-13-23, 05:20 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Eric F
Utilitarian practicality and concerns about long-term durability generally aren't significant considerations in the decision at this level.
It is for me and that's one of the things that's right at the top of my list of important things that I care about. I am the same way with vehicles, I don't care about Ferraris, Porches, Lamborginis, Bentleys etc I don't find sports and luxury cars exciting... What I find exciting is some simple and utilitarian pick up truck.
Old 01-13-23, 05:20 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
A interesting twist onto this discussion would be at what income level would you consider purchasing a $14,000 bicycle. For me I know what that number is!
Old 01-13-23, 05:25 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Yes, and the whole point is to ask the buyers of these [consumer items] to explain why this [particular consumer item] is worth $[offending amount] to them. Don't just answer with 'Because reasons'.
This is more fun than Wordle.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 01-13-23, 05:26 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
14 000 dollar bikes are not designed for heavy duty utilitarian uses
No kidding. That's like saying a Porsche 911 is not designed to haul a cord of wood. Captain obvious is obvisouly not too bright.

Would you put fenders and racks and all kinds of bags on a $ 14 000 dollar bike and use it for commuting in all weather conditions, loaded touring, off road bike packing, trail riding ??
I have a bike I paid about $1,000 for and I don't put fenders on it, nor do I commute in all weather conditions, I don't tour loaded, and I'm guessing I'd need a MTB for "trail riding"...or a horse. Why the hell do you give a poo-poo-pa-doo what someone else does with their bikes?

these super expensive fancy bikes are just toys to be used on the weekends to impress other club riders or for winning imaginary races on Zwift.
No doubt you're dumb enough to think someone would use their SWORKS bike on the trainer. If they can pop $14k on a bike they've probably got the scratch to get a dedicated trainer bike. Also in Zwift nobody knows/cares about what bike you're actually on IRL...the "Tron" bike is the hotness in make believe land.

They have absolutely zero utilitarian and practical value
Says you.

These super expensive fancy bikes are just toys to be used on the weekends to impress other
There you go...of all the stupid crap you've vomited in this thread you just got about 4 words mostly correct. Congratulations on your very own 6 page and growing BF troll job, bravo.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 01-13-23 at 05:31 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 01-13-23, 05:28 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
A interesting twist onto this discussion would be at what income level would you consider purchasing a $14,000 bicycle. For me I know what that number is!
I wouldn't purchase one no matter how high my income level was. I wouldn't purchase one even if I won a big lottery.
Old 01-13-23, 05:28 PM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
The KTM 350 EXC-F is perhaps the best Enduro racing motorcycle today. It is delivered “ready to race” for $11,899. This a pure bred racer not a dual sport.
For $13,549 the KTM 500 EXC-F Six Days provides even more pure racing performance.
These are very expensive motorcycles for their weight and displacement.
The idea that a 16 pound racing bicycle is worth $14,000 is ludicrous.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack
Likes For vonfilm:
Old 01-13-23, 05:30 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
At least you're being nice, thank you. And you are correct, if you have the money what the heck, buy a $15,000 bike or more. That was not my argument though, there was nothing said about if you have the money you're stupid for buying a $15,000 bike, I wasn't judging a person for spending the money. The original question was asking if it was worth it, I simply pointed out that the value of such a bike is not that huge of an improvement to deem it worth the expense especially if you're on the fence about it spending that kind of money.

Besides, the bike doesn't make the rider, the rider makes the bike, so other than having a very expensive bike, it won't do anything for a person's speed.
Value can be a highly subjective thing, and the factors that make something more valuable to me might not hold any value to you.

Also, the person who posted the original question did say that buying a $14k bike is stupid. His conclusion was already reached from the beginning.
Old 01-13-23, 05:30 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
For the examples listed, and the corresponding Treks: none. They just aren't that great.

My wife and I did test-rides on >$9K trek gravel bikes. (FWIW, they still weighed in at about 19.5 lbs without pedals.) I built her up something that I think is better, based on a titanium frame I found on sale, and some Di2 levers I already had. I spent far more money than I was comfortable with spending, but at the end of the day had something substantially better for her for substantially less. Eight and a half years ago, I got a custom bike made for less than half of that. I would never trade it for one of those $14K bikes, but if I could justify it, I would happily get a second such custom bike, because the value has far exceeded $14K for me. However, I doubt I could sell if for more than $3K now -- probably substantially less.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 01-13-23 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-13-23, 05:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Pick up truck analogy.

base model work truck - 40k.

same truck with 2-3k worth of buttons and gadgets- 85k.

The upgraded truck isn’t worth the extra 45k, but people are happy to pay for them.
Again, pay attention. The upgraded truck is worth the extra 45K. The upgrades do not cost 45K
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-13-23, 05:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
It is for me and that's one of the things that's right at the top of my list of important things that I care about. I am the same way with vehicles, I don't care about Ferraris, Porches, Lamborginis, Bentleys etc I don't find sports and luxury cars exciting... What I find exciting is some simple and utilitarian pick up truck.
That's fine. I'm not suggesting you should change your buying decisions. However, your reasons and my reasons don't necessarily align, nor should they need to.
Old 01-13-23, 05:40 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I wouldn't purchase one no matter how high my income level was. I wouldn't purchase one even if I won a big lottery.
Really? So your worth $500,000,000, you fly private, live in the home and location of your dreams and yet your choice in bicycles would remain unchanged? I find that doubtful.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-13-23, 05:41 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
These super expensive fancy bikes are just toys to be used on the weekends to impress other club riders
Keep repeating the mantra: I am the real cyclist. All others are posers. I am the real cyclist. All others are posers. I am the real cyclist. All others are posers. I am the real cyclist. All others are posers.

There. You've reached Nirvana.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-13-23, 05:42 PM
Camilo

Ahh common and get real. It's the same thing with cars. Why would a person purchase a $ 150 000 Mercedes SUV instead of a $ 40 000 Toyota SUV when is reality that Toyota is more practical and will outperform the Mercedes when it comes to long term reliability and cost of maintenance. For some people it's all about status and image...and to be honest with you I don't have anything against that. It's their money and they can spend it in whatever way they want. i am not judging anybody. All I did was to express my own opinion on how I see things..
Hmmm
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-13-23, 05:49 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Really? So your worth $500,000,000, you fly private, live in the home and location of your dreams and yet your choice in bicycles would remain unchanged? I find that doubtful.
It's true.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-13-23, 05:50 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Or perhaps the person that has a $200 bike is asking how a $1700 bike is worth so much. It's all relative. How do you explain to a Bud Light drinker that a craft beer costs more? It just does is the best response...LOL!!
Old 01-13-23, 06:00 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by vonfilm
... Would you trust your life to a doctor who is stupid enough to spend $14,000 on a bicycle?....
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I'd trust a doctor that spends $14,000 on a bike before I'd trust one that thinks anyone that spends $14,000 is stupid.
I'll have to add bike purchasing history to the questions on qualifications I ask my next PCP! Bonus points for $14K bike instead of a $14K snowmobile.

Last edited by Camilo; 01-13-23 at 06:04 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-13-23, 06:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
So, 6 days ago you were convinced that spending $15,000 on a new bike was the best course of action. Now you're convinced that spending $2,000 on 5-8 year old bike is the only rational thing to do. That's awesome. What will be the smart thing to do next week?

For him to delete some of his posts.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-23, 06:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
This is the key thing you generally seem to forget. You are one person, and while your judgements are valid FOR YOU, they are not any more broadly applicable.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-13-23, 06:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Scientific testing in a lab is not the same as a daily grind out in the real world....$ 14 000 dollar bikes are not designed for heavy duty utilitarian uses. Would you put fenders and racks and all kinds of bags on a $ 14 000 dollar bike and use it for commuting in all weather conditions, loaded touring, off road bike packing, trail riding ??...I don't think you or anybody would....These super expensive fancy bikes are just toys to be used on the weekends to impress other club riders or for winning imaginary races on Zwift. They have absolutely zero utilitarian and practical value.
I didn't say anything about a lab, I meant using the scientific testing method rather than silly anecdotal evidence. You know with controls and such.

The original post I was responding to was about everyday riding not necessarily a mythical do it all bike. However yes I would put bags on my $14000 bike in fact if I had one I would have the money to get some nice bespoke bags for it that would fit nicely. I would also put fenders on it if needed be, especially if I rode in an area with frequent rain, if not I might not. I would happily ride an S-Works Diverge with bespoke bags daily if I liked carbon bikes. I wouldn't want the STR though nothing against it I like the idea of the suspension but I just don't love the looks personally but my co-worker who owns one (not the S-Works) loves it.

However the idea of saying a bike is delicate because of its price is silly and the Crux of the argument. There are literally mountain bikes made for Downhill and Enduro that are quite expensive and don't blow up in fact professional riders ride them often and they haven't exploded in pretty extreme conditions. I would have no hesitations riding this bike daily for instance, granted I am not a great mountain biker and don't ride enduro but I wouldn't think it was delicate based on price. Maybe a Fabregé egg but not a bike. Now certainly you could make a bike that is delicate and make it very expensive but the bikes we are talking about in this thread are not delicate bikes you need to baby. You don't need to abuse them but you shouldn't really abuse any bike
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-13-23, 06:16 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I loooove it when people pull numbers out of their butt. It feels so ... scientific.

Butt numbers are definitely the best numbers.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 01-13-23, 06:24 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
People who care too much about what others buy or do seem to be projecting their regrets about their own decisions.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-13-23, 06:24 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I didn't say anything about a lab, I meant using the scientific testing method rather than silly anecdotal evidence. You know with controls and such.

The original post I was responding to was about everyday riding not necessarily a mythical do it all bike. However yes I would put bags on my $14000 bike in fact if I had one I would have the money to get some nice bespoke bags for it that would fit nicely. I would also put fenders on it if needed be, especially if I rode in an area with frequent rain, if not I might not. I would happily ride an S-Works Diverge with bespoke bags daily if I liked carbon bikes. I wouldn't want the STR though nothing against it I like the idea of the suspension but I just don't love the looks personally but my co-worker who owns one (not the S-Works) loves it.

However the idea of saying a bike is delicate because of its price is silly and the Crux of the argument. There are literally mountain bikes made for Downhill and Enduro that are quite expensive and don't blow up in fact professional riders ride them often and they haven't exploded in pretty extreme conditions. I would have no hesitations riding this bike daily for instance, granted I am not a great mountain biker and don't ride enduro but I wouldn't think it was delicate based on price. Maybe a Fabregé egg but not a bike. Now certainly you could make a bike that is delicate and make it very expensive but the bikes we are talking about in this thread are not delicate bikes you need to baby. You don't need to abuse them but you shouldn't really abuse any bike
For example, the Specialize Aethos, which is something like $13K in its top configuration, has a maximum rider weight of about 275#. That's not delicate at all. It's lighter than other CF bikes because of both the specific CF used and the layup, and the materials and labor are big contributors to the cost. If you made it that light with more mundane CF and a less well-engineered layup, I imagine it would be rather less robust.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.