Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Early 60s Raleigh Gran Sport - Denver Dumpster

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 06:38 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts

I was lucky enough to pick this up as a dumpster rescue. I think it's a 1962 Raleigh Gran Sport.

Not that I can justify another project, but I had my eye out for something interesting and the GB 66 Coureur center pull brakes just looked really cool (and the bars and levers were there to boot!). I kind of wish they were the 66s that had the side like I saw in Velobase, but either way very cool. Sadly the original cranks and Campagnolo drivetrain are long gone (levers aside).

I'm keeping my eyes out for the cranks and chainring, but I have a decent early Raleigh / Williams? double that will look pretty good once I figure out what bottom bracket to use with it. It has a mishmash of Japanese wheels and hub (though the rear hub is a Normandy). It also has a really nice Japanese Speedic Professional saddle, which I hadn't heard of before. Anyway, rides really, really nicely. Just need to get her back in period without spending too much.

As-found pics:

As seen in Velobase with the "66" on the side

Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-15-21 at 06:48 PM.
Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 08-15-21, 06:45 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

good find, thank you for sharing it!

​​​​​​

interesting how the frame appears identical to a late 1960's Gran Prix

-----
Old 08-15-21, 06:46 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

A few more photos...

Old 08-15-21, 07:37 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

beautiful pictures, thanks very much

SPEEDIC brand saddles produced by the Takahashi Saddle Co.

here is an advert from ~1964 -

today the firm's better known brand names include Kashimax, Panmax, Unimax and Promax

-----
Old 08-15-21, 09:13 PM
CriticalThought

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

good find, thank you for sharing it!

​​​
interesting how the frame appears identical to a late 1960's Gran Prix

-----
You're right juvela , but the Gran Prix do have that classic English brake cable stay arched bridge whereas the Gran Sport don't.

Here is some more old collateral I dug up.

Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 08-15-21, 09:31 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Nice! Those anodized brake levers with intact gum hoods are the real find.
Old 08-15-21, 09:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Awesome dumpster find. I love the high flange hubs. The only thing I think I could find in a dumpster are blood born pathogens.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-16-21, 12:19 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Very nice! You’ve got the lamp bracket bolt and that’s a very tough find. It should have a fork mounted lamp bracket exactly like the one on my Lenton Grand Prix but that’s not as difficult of a find as the bolt. The original wheels and fenders would be tough finds too, but what you have is pretty nice.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 08-16-21 at 12:24 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 08:24 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Again, amazing what people toss out. It’s a 62 for sure or dang close. Does it have the BB Oiler?

Great to see you are taking it out for spins! Mine has been hanging in the shed for too long. It came complete or close to it, minus the seat and mudguards. Oh, and front wheel. Those airlight hubs and special rims are also hard to find!

Enjoy your English steed!
Old 08-16-21, 09:31 AM
CriticalThought

Thanks all. I'm pretty pleased with it.

If I can find a gap between meetings today I am going to take it out again for a quick spin.

nlerner Yeah, I was happy to see those intact hoods, but they're not original. They're Weinmann so I might put them on another bike with matching brakes. These levers are GB... would have been cool if there were GB hoods on it!

Chuck M To come clean, I bought it from the guy who pulled it from the dumpster... luckily for not much. So it's the best kind of dumpster find, the kind where you don't have to get near a dumpster or shell out much.

The hubs look ok and spin nicely, but they're a far cry from the Airlight originals (I know as I have a pair on the 1957 Flying Scot I have here in my office - grin). The Scot also has Dunlop Special Lightweight rims, and 3speedslow , you're right, it really would have been a find if the Gran Sport still had those! Ah, and yep, it does have that bottom bracket oiler.

Pcampeau I was amazed that the lamp bracket bolt was still there. I had to track one down for my Scot. When I did, I picked up a couple nice extra lamp brackets, but none with the Raleigh heron. If anyone has one and is willing to part with it please let me know!

Bottom Bracket Oil Port

Front Hub

Rear Hub

Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-16-21 at 09:55 AM.
Old 08-16-21, 10:55 AM
shunt12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
amazing
Old 08-16-21, 11:54 AM
CriticalThought

I managed to get out for a quick coffee... briefly.

It's always such a pleasant surprise when a heavy old "beater" is such a joy to ride. Once on the move the weight seems to drop away. Then again it could just be the rare treat of being out on a bike a workday (a Monday morning at that). ha

Now that the seat and bars are adjusted more to my liking, all the better. I can't believe that this bike is such a nice ride.

Last edited by CriticalThought; 08-16-21 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-16-21, 12:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Eagle eye you have.
I have only found ONE bike worth bringing home, well actually to work.
I saw another, a 24-25" Yellow Peugeot UO8 a number of years ago and my wife mentioned, maybe your Next Wife would like it.
I received that line once before when I looked at a '67 Cadillac Eldorado for sale at the local plaza... black over black cloth, Outstanding... wanted $10k, a few years later it could have fetched $30-40k at auction.
I stayed married.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-16-21, 08:05 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
That’s just a lovely bike in every way. I love all the little details and the paint. Great score!
Old 08-16-21, 08:22 PM
3speedslow

In your handle bar pic, the Mae bars have started to drop on both sides. You can see where there is space under the stem shim. This is a common occurrence with old aluminium bars.

Might want to line up another bar for that awesome GB stem.
Old 08-17-21, 02:53 PM
CriticalThought

Ha. Thanks repechage Wise words (and wise wife... she clearly has a sense of humor).

3speedslow You're right about the sagging bars. I don't trust them and will keep my eyes peeled for something safer.

Couple pics from my ride yesterday (rode it today as well... such a nice bike).

Old 08-17-21, 04:37 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Excellent find! And excellent pictures, too. Thanks for posting them here.

Old 08-17-21, 06:29 PM
3speedslow

How is the hunt for original components going?

So nice to see the GS out in the sunshine!
Old 08-18-21, 02:28 PM
CriticalThought

Sadly I have had zero time to hunt for parts... BUT, I have been able to ride it to the cafe nearby every day this week. Such good fun to ride. I flew past a paceline today on the bike path near me en route to the cafe that I work from occasionally. They were all on high end Italian carbon so flying past on such an apparent "beater" with the goofy pedals and rusty rims had me smiling all the way to the cafe. Hope they had a good laugh (I would have).

I'm going to throw some MKS pedals on there, and the lamp bracket I have on as well. What I really need to do is strip it down to a bare frame and clean everything and touch up the frame and go from there. But it's SO MUCH FUN to ride that I'm taking my time and enjoying it in all of it's rough-arsed glory for now. I want to ditch the modern bar tape, get 3 new cable clips for the top tube, new tires, etc.

For now, I'll just stalk the carbon crowd on the trail with this "sleeper". The Grand Sport really flies on the flats. I'm actually loving this Speedic saddle as well. Feels just as nice as a Ideale Rebour (and looks perfect too).

I can't wait to polish up those GB 66 brakes though!!!!
Old 08-18-21, 02:38 PM
CriticalThought

3speedslow These are the cranks & chainrings I'm thinking of putting on. I've had them kicking around for a while, and though not "correct" I think they'll look the part (at least more than the modern cranks that are on there now).

Anyone recognize this seat clamp under the Speedic? Looks like it might say Made in France? Maybe Ideale? or is that wishful thinking. Might be easier to tell once it's cleaned up.

Raleigh Cranks - What are these off of?

Anyone recognize this clamp?

Old 08-18-21, 05:00 PM
3speedslow

Nice crankset upgrade for the GS. Anytime you have removable rings and the heron shows details, it came from one of the better models. The original cranks were nice but riveted. They were also half step 46-49, meant for the Campy GS slide derailleur.

The saddle clamp does look like an Ideale model. Hit it quick with a brass brush to find out!

Note: the GB levers have fragile pins that the handles swing on. Too much tightening them down will break them in half. They are HARD to find and have a much different diameter then other makers. That has been a stumbling block on my rebuild.
Old 08-18-21, 09:01 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
I’m guessing the clamp came with when the saddle was fitted. My very similar GS still has its Brooks Swallow and the clamp has no markings whatsoever. Interesting that your bike has clamp on top tube cable guides. Mine has cable stops.

By the way, I think you’re gonna like where that heron crankset you have came from. If you google “1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix”, you’ll see several examples of this crankset attached to Lentons with push rod derailleurs, including those in Sunset Yellow just like your GS. This will be a beautiful match if I’ve ever seen one.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 08-18-21 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-19-21, 06:33 AM
alexnagui

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought

Anyone recognize this clamp?

Looks like it says Ideale France
Old 08-19-21, 01:21 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
looks like it says
ideale
made in
france
fify!
Old 08-19-21, 01:44 PM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
I found one almost exactly like this, but in blue:

Front Airlite wheel still there, rear replaced with some heavy brick...

Far as I can tell, not a 531 bike-- some kind of in-house tubing? Very pretty graphics though...

The stock tottered crank, with riveted chainrings, I presume....?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.