Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2017 Giant Defy Aluxx "Road Bike" Should I Buy it For $300?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 09:24 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/572112823991450/

Is this worth $300 as an entry level road bike that I could ride downtown without worrying about it too much. The Revo shifters and tourney comps are obviously not that impressive but it is drop bar and aluminum...

Old 09-29-21, 09:25 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

They are including probably about $60 worth of random stuff with it, spare tube, seatpost bag, air pumps, etc
Old 09-29-21, 09:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked 4,853 Times in 3,345 Posts
I wouldn't buy a road bike to ride downtown. But I don't know how you intend to ride it. So it really gets back to the question, does it fit you? Next on my list will be that those are fairly old shifters and components. And I sort of question if it is a 2017. If it doesn't shift perfectly into every gear, then you are going to be spending additional money to solve that. And if the shifters are bad, then that might be substantial.

And why all the other stuff added to the sale that isn't useful on that bike? If they can't sell that separately for a decent price then why would you think that you could? I'd put zero dollar value to the added stuff.
Old 09-29-21, 10:11 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

I thought the handlebar shifters we're strange. The Denali is the only other bike I have heard of that had it
Old 09-29-21, 01:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked 7,566 Times in 4,221 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeNovice1
I thought the handlebar shifters we're strange. The Denali is the only other bike I have heard of that had it
Do you actually know what is for sale? Those are 2 different bikes.

The Giant road bike has STI drop bar shifters.
Then there is another bike that has flatbar Revoshift. I assume the bike with these shifters also has a Tourney RD and is orange.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-29-21, 02:19 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3708 Post(s)
Liked 5,545 Times in 2,804 Posts
Maybe it's a buy one get one BOGO
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-29-21, 06:49 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

They are including probably about $60 worth of random stuff with it, spare tube, seatpost bag, air pumps, etc
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't buy a road bike to ride downtown. But I don't know how you intend to ride it. So it really gets back to the question, does it fit you? Next on my list will be that those are fairly old shifters and components. And I sort of question if it is a 2017. If it doesn't shift perfectly into every gear, then you are going to be spending additional money to solve that. And if the shifters are bad, then that might be substantial.

And why all the other stuff added to the sale that isn't useful on that bike? If they can't sell that separately for a decent price then why would you think that you could? I'd put zero dollar value to the added stuff.
Why wouldn't you buy a road bike for downtown? Because of the drops?

You could tell the age of the bike from the one picture? How? I think this is one of those bikes an older gentleman bought and never really rode so I'm thinking this bike has had very little use. Neither he nor his wife could tell me much about the bike.

Last edited by LifeNovice1; 09-29-21 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 07:12 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you actually know what is for sale? Those are 2 different bikes.

The Giant road bike has STI drop bar shifters.
Then there is another bike that has flatbar Revoshift. I assume the bike with these shifters also has a Tourney RD and is orange.
Those pictures are both under the same ad. I didn't take them. I don't know that much about bikes I guess. Hope my ignorance made you feel good about yourself.
Old 09-29-21, 07:14 PM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Maybe it's a buy one get one BOGO
You seem to like to stalk my posts and be a dick. Welcome to ignoresville, population: one dick named you.
Old 09-29-21, 07:36 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Did you notice that the bike in that first pic doesn't even have grip shifters on the handlebars???
Old 09-29-21, 07:44 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7050 Post(s)
Liked 11,100 Times in 4,741 Posts
You seem to like to stalk my posts and be a dick. Welcome to ignoresville, population: one dick named you.
You have started a lot of threads asking "Should I buy this bike?" or "Should I pay $--- for this bike?"

At some point, you've got to either dance, or get off the floor.
Old 09-29-21, 08:08 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11019 Post(s)
Liked 7,566 Times in 4,221 Posts
Those pictures are both under the same ad. I didn't take them. I don't know that much about bikes I guess. Hope my ignorance made you feel good about yourself.
I feel the same about myself after responding. I saw nobody else had and thought it would help to point out the fact that those are different bikes. There was no reason to let the conversation continue and pretend they were the same.
It's unfortunate you felt I was too critical.

ETA- I half asked if you know what's for sale because the ad is super confusing and I wasn't sure if the seller had clarified.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-29-21, 08:11 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I don't think we are supposed to call people bad names on BF but I'm a big boy won't report you. Nevertheless, if you can get two bikes for the price of one, go for it.
Old 09-29-21, 08:11 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 902 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
You have started a lot of threads asking "Should I buy this bike?" or "Should I pay $--- for this bike?"

At some point, you've got to either dance, or get off the floor.
Is he not allowed to do that? Isn't what this place is for?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-29-21, 08:13 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Don't be disingenuous - you know that I am not suggesting that it's not allowed. I am suggesting that it's time to buy a bike and start riding.

Meanwhile, someone got called a "dick" a few posts up, and you're not commenting on that.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 09-29-21, 08:15 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I don't think we are supposed to call people bad names on BF but I'm a big boy won't report you. Nevertheless, if you can get two bikes for the price of one, go for it.
Yes, that is indeed against the guidelines but I see you egged him on so....

Please leave him be, Shelby.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 09-29-21, 08:16 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Don't be disingenuous - you know that I am not suggesting that it's not allowed. I am suggesting that it's time to buy a bike and start riding.

Meanwhile, someone got called a "dick" a few posts up, and you're not commenting on that.
Really? Look above.

If that is what you are suggesting, then suggest it. No reason to be rude.

Please leave this thread if you cannot contribute in a positive way.
Old 09-29-21, 08:19 PM
Koyote

Really? Look above.

If that is what you are suggesting, then suggest it. No reason to be rude.

Please leave this thread if you cannot contribute in a positive way.
You seem to have a pretty weird threshold for "rude," but I'll happily leave the thread.
Old 09-29-21, 08:21 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

You seem to have a pretty weird threshold for "rude," but I'll happily leave the thread.
Thank you.
Old 09-29-21, 09:13 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 681 Posts
This op has taken trolling to a whole new level. Post after post of, should I buy this, what do you think about this bike, is tubeless ok, etc. The usual ensuing debates break out. Ignore this fool and quit giving him the perverse pleasure of causing dissension amongst people. This op is probably the most destructive troll that this forum has and the administrator should do something.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 09-29-21 at 09:31 PM.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-29-21, 09:30 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 1,334 Times in 681 Posts
Perhaps stop trying to be so destructive to the forum and such a Troll. Leave us alone and stop preying on people with honest intentions who take your posts at face value.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-30-21, 04:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked 4,952 Times in 3,062 Posts
I think he was actually trying to be helpful rather than point out your ignorance about bikes.
Those pictures are definitely of different bikes, so you need to be at least aware of that. It could be a scam advert for example.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-30-21, 05:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Thank you, Siu. I'll add OP to the Troll/iggy list. Check the screenshot for what we are seeing, just so you won't think we are all being meanies.

Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-30-21, 07:03 AM
LifeNovice1
Banned.

​​​​​​
Thought that's what this forum is for, too.
I'm just trying to figure out what bike I want without wasting money. Yes, I am indecisive. Yes, I realize I should just buy something. I have OCD and sometimes get fixated on stuff. I apologize. This forum is a great repository of info with a lot of knowledgeable people.

Unfortunately there are also a lot of wise@$$e$ on here. If the above comments weren't intended that way then I apologize. Maybe someone could tell me how many questions about bikes I can make a month and then I'll stick to that guideline. Thank you for not kicking me off here. I realize I'm treading on thin ice so I'll try to behave.

If the Giant Defy fits I'll probably go with that. Really just wanted to hear experienced cyclists opinions on which model they think it is and whether it is worth $300 for an entry level bike that I can also ride around town without worrying about it getting lost or trashed.

​​​​​​I would love it if shelbywtf would ignore my posts. He doesn't seem to have anything constructive to offer. Maybe he should switch hobbies from following my posts and being an internet policewoman to like golf or tennis or cycling..

Last edited by LifeNovice1; 09-30-21 at 07:07 AM.
Likes For LifeNovice1:
Old 09-30-21, 07:22 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
This op has taken trolling to a whole new level. Post after post of, should I buy this, what do you think about this bike, is tubeless ok, etc. The usual ensuing debates break out. Ignore this fool and quit giving him the perverse pleasure of causing dissension amongst people. This op is probably the most destructive troll that this forum has and the administrator should do something.
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Perhaps stop trying to be so destructive to the forum and such a Troll. Leave us alone and stop preying on people with honest intentions who take your posts at face value.
Both good points.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.