Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour 6spd FW: save or destroy?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-21, 09:02 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts

the freewheel came on my recently acquired ross mt hood. i can't seem to find my two notch remover, so i tried a hammer and punch to knock it loose against the prong tabs. it won't budge that way. there's methods of removing the FW without the tool, but it requires dismantling the freewheel and a chance of trashing it (a pipe wrench against the pawls). i plan to keep searching for the tool, but wondered...is it worth it? i can't find any real identifying markings on the FW body that would indicate if it's anything special....like a perfect, a perfect XC, etc. all i see are the letters AI in one spot and VIA in another. mean anything? fwiw, it does seem to be made of "lighter" materials than other suntour FW's i have

oh, btw....if it's worth saving, i wonder if i can mate some cogs from a pro compe 5spd i have. this 6spd has a broken tooth on the 13 tooth sprocket. thought i could maybe build a 14-32 6spd if things would mate up

edit: also it's 13 15 27 19 22 26....if that helps ID'ing

Last edited by thook; 08-17-21 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-17-21, 10:00 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm betting "AI" was the date code for September 1984.

Got any pics?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-17-21, 10:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I'm betting "AI" was the date code for September 1984.

Got any pics?
i've got a cheap blackberry (i think? i don't use it much except for emergencies or necessary calls) that takes pics. i tried the other day, but i don't get signal where i live so i couldn't share it. not sure how else to get pics from it to here. iow's, no pics. i'm trying to find a web image right now that might work/help. i'm wondering if what i think is "AI" or if it's an A1. anyway, searching the web....
Old 08-17-21, 10:25 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

it looks like this except is doesn't say pro compe on it. and, of course, the gearing is different. but, i did find a perfect that had the same gearing as mine, but mine doesn't say perfect on it, either
Old 08-17-21, 10:39 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Unless its rusted and frozen with broken teeth and broken removal notches, it’s worth finding the tool to rescue it. 13-26 is a nice gear spread, not super easy to find.
Old 08-17-21, 10:57 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Unless its rusted and frozen with broken teeth and broken removal notches, it’s worth finding the tool to rescue it. 13-26 is a nice gear spread, not super easy to find.
only lightly rusted on the sprockets, spinning a little sticky..not rough, and just the one broken tooth. meh...if i can get it off in one piece, i'll probably pass it along, i'm thinking. i've got other gears. maybe get a hyperglide FW down the road
Old 08-17-21, 11:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...if you already went at those two notches with a hammer and a punch, your chances of getting it off with a Suntour two prong freewheel tool are now significantly reduced. My opinion is that you are already committed to destructive removal. There were all sorts of configurations for Suntour cogs over the years, so they are not universally interchangeable.

What in the world gave you the idea you could remove a freewheel in that manner ? I have trouble sometimes getting those two prong Suntour freewheels off with the proper tool, locked in place with a QR skewer, and clamped in a bench vise. The idea that I might be able to hammer it loose with a punch is not something that would ever occur to me. That will help you to remove the little lock ring that holds the thing together , though, facilitating destructive removal.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 08-18-21, 05:30 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
Suntour made a variation of the Perfect/ProCompe which has a 13T threaded small sprocket, followed by two threaded sprockets and three splined sprockets for the largest ones. The 2nd through 6th sprockets and spacers are all interchangeable on a Perfect or ProCompe body. So, at the least, remove and save the sprockets and spacers.

Have you tried soaking the hub/freewheel threads with penetrating oil, i.e. WD40, etc? Time to buy a new tool. They are not that expensive.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 08-18-21, 07:03 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Proper tool is 12 bucks on Amazon, same day delivery, in my area at least. I don’t know about you, but at my stage of life, when I lose something it stays lost!
12 dollars vs old Suntour freewheel, kind of a toss-up, they are well built, but don’t really shift all that well compared to newer ones.
Tim
Old 08-18-21, 02:09 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if you already went at those two notches with a hammer and a punch, your chances of getting it off with a Suntour two prong freewheel tool are now significantly reduced. My opinion is that you are already committed to destructive removal. There were all sorts of configurations for Suntour cogs over the years, so they are not universally interchangeable.

What in the world gave you the idea you could remove a freewheel in that manner ? I have trouble sometimes getting those two prong Suntour freewheels off with the proper tool, locked in place with a QR skewer, and clamped in a bench vise. The idea that I might be able to hammer it loose with a punch is not something that would ever occur to me. That will help you to remove the little lock ring that holds the thing together , though, facilitating destructive removal.
it works in automotive applications, sometimes. like knocking a wheel bearing nut loose, for example, when perhaps you don't have the right size socket. it's a big one
anyway, i wasn't terribly committed to trying it with hammer and punch. tried it for a bit until could see it wasn't going to work. didn't go beyond that ..ie. enough to damage anything. so, why are the chances of the tool getting it off now reduced, then?
and, no...i'm not committed to destroying it. i'm not committed to keeping it, however, if i do get it i off. if i can get if off properly, then i'm betting someone around here could use it despite the broken tooth
Old 08-18-21, 02:14 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Suntour made a variation of the Perfect/ProCompe which has a 13T threaded small sprocket, followed by two threaded sprockets and three splined sprockets for the largest ones. The 2nd through 6th sprockets and spacers are all interchangeable on a Perfect or ProCompe body. So, at the least, remove and save the sprockets and spacers.

Have you tried soaking the hub/freewheel threads with penetrating oil, i.e. WD40, etc? Time to buy a new tool. They are not that expensive.
i haven't tried a penetrant, yet. honestly, this attempt i made was on a whim. stopping to tinker in the middle of other things. i just thought to try it right quick since i haven't located my tool. but, it did make me stop to consider if the FW was worth much trouble
Old 08-18-21, 02:17 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by tkamd73
Proper tool is 12 bucks on Amazon, same day delivery, in my area at least. I don’t know about you, but at my stage of life, when I lose something it stays lost!
12 dollars vs old Suntour freewheel, kind of a toss-up, they are well built, but don’t really shift all that well compared to newer ones.
Tim
yes, thank you. i know the tools are cheap. and, i am considering a hyperglide freewheel down the road. i know they shift better. but, for the moment, i'm in the "working with what i got" mode just so i can simply ride it. i've had the bike it's on less than a week.
Old 08-18-21, 02:23 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by onyerleft
Here at the bike kitchen where I volunteer, we could remove it lickety split for a big $5. Just sayin'.
last time i checked at the nearest local bike shops (for a different FW project months ago), no one has the old tools for freewheels. there is one shop i haven't checked. i just can never seem to get by there when it's open since it closes earlier than the others. and, there's no longer a bike co-op in my area.
Old 08-18-21, 02:28 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I don't think that will come out with a hammer and punch unless you are really dedicated and do one hit on one side, then the next on the other, alternating back and forth for a long time.

I don't know what you have for old sockets, however, you could take an appropriate sized socket and make marks where the notches are and then grind the socket down leaving the two prongs remaining. Then stick a breaker bar with your new tool on it into a vice and turn the wheel.

If you lived closer, I'd visit you.

I like SunTour freewheels, especially six speeds, but you can't save them all.

Edit: When I see SunTour and destroy in the same sentence I get worried, so had to click on this thread to try to save your freewheel.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 08-18-21 at 02:39 PM.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 08-18-21, 02:30 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
I'll mail you my freewheel remover if you send me the freewheel & remover after you're done, since you say you're not too interested in keeping it. Or maybe Pastor Bob is interested in adding to his collection?

Either way, Other option is take it apart and use a pipe wrench. I think it won't damage much, especially if you ease into it to minimize slippage. Those freewheel bodies are harder than a coffin nail!
Old 08-18-21, 02:55 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I don't think that will come out with a hammer and punch unless you are really dedicated and do one hit on one side, then the next on the other, alternating back and forth for a long time.

I don't know what you have for old sockets, however, you could take an appropriate sized socket and make marks where the notches are and then grind the socket down leaving the two prongs remaining. Then stick a breaker bar with your new tool on it into a vice and turn the wheel.

If you lived closer, I'd visit you.

I like SunTour freewheels, especially six speeds, but you can't save them all.

Edit: When I see SunTour and destroy in the same sentence I get worried, so had to click on this thread to try to save your freewheel.
i've got bunches of old sockets. and, i have thought of that. i just bought a vice from a flea market, so now i have a good way to set something like that up for mod'ing

thanks for the visit offer

i like the suntours, also. mostly, though, because it's just some of what i have (besides freehub/cassettes) and the only thing to work on the older wheels. i mean, if hyperglide freewheels were what i had, then i'd like them....if that makes sense...lol

yeah, i really prefer not to destroy anything worthy of usage. if this were a "cheap" suntour freewheel, i'd just get it off with the pipe wrench no hesitation. but, i don't know if suntour made "cheap" freewheels
Old 08-18-21, 02:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by scarlson
I'll mail you my freewheel remover if you send me the freewheel & remover after you're done, since you say you're not too interested in keeping it. Or maybe Pastor Bob is interested in adding to his collection?

Either way, Other option is take it apart and use a pipe wrench. I think it won't damage much, especially if you ease into it to minimize slippage. Those freewheel bodies are harder than a coffin nail!
i'm not really. but, it occurred to me i need to make sure i can fit a 7spd on the wheel/in the frame before making a decision. i'll be figuring that today when i try another place or two to find my tool
Old 08-18-21, 04:07 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

scarlson the 7 speed suntour FW is going to fit just fine. sending a PM your way....
Old 08-18-21, 04:20 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I frequently go after stuff with hamner and punch, no matter the venue. It works often enough to keep me doing it for the last fifty years. I almost always use WD40 in conjunction, however.

Likes For seedsbelize: