Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Equipment/Product Review (1976) SunTour Winner freewheel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-21, 10:06 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 999 Posts

From Bike World, Jan 1976...

WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 11-04-21, 10:27 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Nice shadetree tech details -- thanks for posting, as always!
Old 11-04-21, 06:47 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
I don't think I've seen the first generation Winner before. Nice to see that they managed to evolve to a simpler design. I wonder why they wanted three different diameters of threaded cogs?? The smallest allowed them to use a 13T cog, which makes sense.
In the later New Winner, they got it down to two sizes of threaded cogs, and in the final version. the Winner and Winner Pro, they had two sets of splined cogs and just one size of threaded cogs.

In a lot of ways, the Perfect & Pro-Compe were pretty advanced, with just one size of splined cogs and one size of threaded cogs....

of course, you could only get a 14T small cog, but that was good enough for most of us.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 11-04-21, 07:07 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Thanks for posting that article. I have several of those freewheels and like them. When I put the steel-armed Campagnolo Sport crankset on my International, I used a 14-24 aluminum cogged Winner freewheel to partially offset the weight gain due to the crankset.
The oddity of these is the third diameter of threaded cog that locks the bearing races, which isn't shared with the other Suntour freewheels. Since that is also the cog I spend the most time in, I was worried about wearing it out. When I was on a call with Yellow Jersey to buy three of his cheap sew-ups (3 for $50) I asked him about the possibility of getting one of those sprockets with 18 teeth. He said he wasn't sure what he had, but when my package arrived the sprocket (NOS) was in there. Lucky me! Other than a couple of Nervar Star chainrings that I have accumulated over the years, that is also about the full extent of me "buying forward" to protect against future failures.
Likes For daka: