Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage > Classic and Vintage Sales
Reload this Page >

WTB: 55-56cm frame (650b conversion candidate)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Sales Private Sales Only, no online storefronts. All prices must be quoted, we are not an auction site.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-22, 11:50 AM
thedriveside

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts

All of your 650b conversions are giving me sleepless nights, help me scratch my itch!

I'm in search if a 650b conversion candidate, something that I can squeeze 42-48s in. Requirements are: steel, lugged, 1" steerer, Vertical drop outs and nice lugs are a bonus. I'm willing to add the necessary braze-ons and do a full paint refinish, so it doesn't need to be in great shape.

Treks, Raleighs, etc. Let me know what you've got! TIA
Old 04-18-22, 11:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Although it would be sweet, 48s and vertical dropouts might be a tall order. I generally think of earlier frames as having more clearance, and associate later frames with vertical dropouts as having less. If you're not planning on fenders, that gives more wiggle room. I'd be prepared to do some chainstay dimpling no matter what.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-18-22, 12:13 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I agree with above statement. Most bikes that fit a 48 were built to fit that. A 42-43mm tires would be more doable on a conversion frame.

I have a 55cm Raleigh record ace that I'm about to list. Modern lugged frameset with a threadless 1 1/8th front end. PM me if interested and I'll send details and measure for tire clearance.
Old 04-18-22, 12:59 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Even 42s are somewhat tough to fit in most bikes with the right BB drop. I strongly suspect the only frames you'll find that will hold 48s will have the bb too low or unusable canti-bosses.
Old 04-18-22, 01:29 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Check out late 80's Schwinn Voyageurs. They come with 27" wheels, so conversion to 650B gives you room for 44's, easy. Semi-vertical rear dropouts.
Gugie did this conversion for me about five years ago, required moving the canti mounts around a bit to accommodate the MAFACs, but it worked fine.

Old 04-18-22, 08:22 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Looking back, would do this a little differently today: high quality cantilevers (like Paul or similar) or Tektro 559 sidepulls. Hated those MAFACs, despite info & advice from experts they never really worked all that well at speed. Different levers, too- 6400’s or 1050’s, still non aero but SLR for more leverage. Would have it wet painted by Jack Trumbull, the only painter/powdercoater who’s ever done a good job with making sure those Schwinn lugs don’t get surface rust on the edges. Start with a 48/36/24 triple instead of ending up there. Dump the Concors saddle, which looked good but felt bad after 100 miles in a day.

Other than that, would do it abain in a heartbeat. Gugie’s a prince to deal with and the end result:sublime.
Old 04-19-22, 10:11 PM
thedriveside

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Although it would be sweet, 48s and vertical dropouts might be a tall order. I generally think of earlier frames as having more clearance, and associate later frames with vertical dropouts as having less. If you're not planning on fenders, that gives more wiggle room. I'd be prepared to do some chainstay dimpling no matter what.
Noted, great tips. Ready to dimple some stays, thanks for the insight!

Originally Posted by Cynikal
I agree with above statement. Most bikes that fit a 48 were built to fit that. A 42-43mm tires would be more doable on a conversion frame.

I have a 55cm Raleigh record ace that I'm about to list. Modern lugged frameset with a threadless 1 1/8th front end. PM me if interested and I'll send details and measure for tire clearance.
thanks! Will pass on the frame

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Even 42s are somewhat tough to fit in most bikes with the right BB drop. I strongly suspect the only frames you'll find that will hold 48s will have the bb too low or unusable canti-bosses.
Thanks for the note, more research needed on my end re: BB drop. I'm ready to chop bosses and get new ones put on though - part of the fun!

Originally Posted by rccardr
Looking back, would do this a little differently today: high quality cantilevers (like Paul or similar) or Tektro 559 sidepulls. Hated those MAFACs, despite info & advice from experts they never really worked all that well at speed. Different levers, too- 6400’s or 1050’s, still non aero but SLR for more leverage. Would have it wet painted by Jack Trumbull, the only painter/powdercoater who’s ever done a good job with making sure those Schwinn lugs don’t get surface rust on the edges. Start with a 48/36/24 triple instead of ending up there. Dump the Concors saddle, which looked good but felt bad after 100 miles in a day.

Other than that, would do it abain in a heartbeat. Gugie’s a prince to deal with and the end result:sublime.
Wow! That thing is a piece of art!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-20-22, 06:22 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
My conversion was done with a 1981 Fuji S-12s. Lot's of space for wide tires but it did need some long reach brakes. I put 650b x 42 tires on it with fenders and had room still.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-i-think.html
Old 04-20-22, 09:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
My conversion was done with a 1981 Fuji S-12s. Lot's of space for wide tires but it did need some long reach brakes. I put 650b x 42 tires on it with fenders and had room still.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-i-think.html
Somehow I missed that thread the first time around. Very nice!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-20-22, 05:59 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Cynikal

The 1973 RRA? If so, do you have 42's to try to fit into the front? I have one and it looks like it would be tight. I could attempt it if would be a decision point, but it would mean removing brakes (which I'd rather not do). Now 38's would fit. 48's definitely not.
Old 04-20-22, 08:58 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
The 1973 RRA? If so, do you have 42's to try to fit into the front? I have one and it looks like it would be tight. I could attempt it if would be a decision point, but it would mean removing brakes (which I'd rather not do). Now 38's would fit. 48's definitely not.
Mine is the modern reproduction, came out in 2011 I believe.