Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carbon Wheel Damage

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Carbon Wheel Damage

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-22, 03:40 PM
jfeltz13

Bikes: 2022 Bearclaw Thunderhawk, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 1994 Specialized Junkdumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon Wheel Damage

Hi. Was out riding my local roads on a sunny day on my relatively new all-road bike... and had the joy of experiencing tubeless tire blowoff. It was loud and fast and terrifying, but no wreck.
I was going about 20mph on pavement when my tire (Rene Herse Barlow Pass @ 45psi) completely popped off my rear rim (I9 250 Carbon TRA).
Rolled quickly to a stop — but because the tire totally ejected from the rim at speed, the rim rotated on the pavement a few times. And there's a bit of damage.

No pics attached because I haven't posted 10 posts... wish I could, but imagine a carbon rim that has skidded on concrete for about 5 feet. That's what it looks like. No cracks... just sort of ground down.

I'm new to carbon rims and tubeless tires, so I just don't know if I'm completely f'd here.

The question is: is a rim that has this kind of damage still rideable?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-22, 03:47 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Standard answer is "it depends."

If you can post pictures on a photo sharing service, someone here may be able to help post the link(s). Otherwise, a trip to your friendly Local Bike Shop (LBS) may be indicated.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-09-22, 04:48 PM
jfeltz13

Bikes: 2022 Bearclaw Thunderhawk, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 1994 Specialized Junkdumper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right on. Thanks... did both things.

Here are some pics:

jfeltz13 dot tumblr dot com

And went to my LBS... they seemed to think that the bead is still strong. Suggested a light filing of the rough spots and some super glue.
Old 05-09-22, 05:29 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I am no expert but my carbon rim had less damage than that and my LBS said I should replace it. The bad part is where it has delaminated at the rim. Your LBS seems particularly ignorant in suggesting super glue, that stuff lasts about a week. Use epoxy if you are going to glue it.

Also don't put those tires back on tubeless rims.. many people have had problems with Rene Herse tires doing this.

PS pictures are at this link
Likes For scottfsmith: