Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I need help choosing a bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-22, 09:34 PM
LocalLoser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i would just be riding around on street with a friend i haven't touched a bike in years so if anyone need more info just ask
Old 12-10-22, 09:40 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
First off you don't need an expensive bike obviously. I would find a used bike on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, and don't spend more than $300. If you know someone who knows bikes have them help you find one so you can get a good bike for the money and not some Walmart brand type of bike.
Old 12-10-22, 09:43 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
If you’re only, and only, using it to ride around town with a friend, then a hybrid is all you need. Any bike shop should have some(Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Trek) and are usually 300-600 for something with rim brake.

They’ll of course show you the nice one with carbon fork and hydraulic brake but just snag that 600 dollar one. And if that’s too much, go to Dick’s Sporting Goods. I believe they still carry GT bikes and I personally believe they’re an underrated brand. Decent bikes for a decent price.

And yes, for the love of God, do not get Walmart or Target bikes. I’m honestly surprised there’s not a lawsuit against them for selling those things to the public.
Likes For Yelbom15:
Old 12-10-22, 10:00 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Fairdale makes good-riding, well-designed, basic knock-around bikes. The Lookfar has everything you need and nothing you don't. If it's flat where you live, you might take a look at the single-speed Express.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 12-10-22, 10:07 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 682 Times in 328 Posts
If you and your friend are riding around on the street together, it's officially a race. You'll need a Pinarello Boldie with full Dura Ace.

Anything less and you'll be doing yourself a disservice...
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 12-10-22, 10:17 PM
Yelbom15

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by tempocyclist
If you and your friend are riding around on the street together, it's officially a race. You'll need a Pinarello Boldie with full Dura Ace.

Anything less and you'll be doing yourself a disservice...
Don’t forget a Garmin 530 that auto stops at 10 mph. Strava average means everything.
Old 12-11-22, 10:19 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Another good place for you to look is REI:

https://www.rei.com/c/hybrid-bikes

They are one of the better "big box" sports stores. They sell Cannondale as well as their own brand, Co-op Cycles, f.k.a. Novara, which are quite decent. And yes, a hybrid would probably be the best type of bike for you.
Old 12-11-22, 11:56 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
What are you looking for, what are you planning on doing...? You want help but you give us nothing.

I wouldn't recommend going to places that aren't bike shops and focus on sporting goods or worse just general stuff. REI is fine if that is all you have and for some they actually have a decent shop but having known a bunch of mechanics in various areas who have worked at REI they have not given great stories and having had worked in outdoor retail with a bike shop attached I can say we had some great mechanics but to the owners of the little chain bikes were not much of a priority and we frequently got the wrong stuff or overbought in stuff we didn't need and the person doing the buying for the bike shop was not a cyclist at all.

The less you spend initially the more you tend to spend in the long term because of poor quality parts and the less comfortable the bike generally as they are trying to keep costs down so cheap aluminum frames paired with cheap aluminum forks or maybe if lucky you get some cheap gas pipe steel for the fork. However if you are really truly only riding once and a while and not regularly and not planning on riding regularly a initially cheap bike is AN option. Maybe not great but if from an actual bike shop at least better than Wally-Mart or Dicks or Billionaire Jeff Bezos' Amazon...and you get warranty and support from that shop as well as hopefully at least one free tune up.

However nobody knows you or what you might need. If you aren't wanting to hang out here (which is sad this is a fun place) then your local bike shop can get you well sorted and allow you to test ride a bunch of bikes which will really help you decide.

One final note used bikes can be great but if you don't know what you are doing or looking at you can easily overpay or get something that requires either a lot of work or is inoperable. I have seen someone bring in a bike that was cracked that they just bought because the tire was flat which did get disclosed but the crack was not and I don't know if the person ever got his money back but the bike wasn't rideable and the parts on it weren't worth much.
Old 12-11-22, 01:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Unless you know that you are going to be riding for fitness in a very serious way or in a hurry everywhere you go, then stay away from the sexy looking road bikes and hybrids or other flat bar bikes and get a good cruiser or cargo style bike. You can get a decent one with 7 to 8 speeds on the rear for a inexpensive price.

Many here will swear they have no issue on a road bike in city traffic, but I doubt they've ever ridden a good fitting cruiser bike where you can put your feet down on the ground from the saddle. Cruisers aren't for fast riding either. So if you want to ride fast, they aren't for you.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-11-22, 01:27 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Unless you know that you are going to be riding for fitness in a very serious way or in a hurry everywhere you go, then stay away from the sexy looking road bikes and hybrids or other flat bar bikes and get a good cruiser or cargo style bike. You can get a decent one with 7 to 8 speeds on the rear for a inexpensive price.

Many here will swear they have no issue on a road bike in city traffic, but I doubt they've ever ridden a good fitting cruiser bike where you can put your feet down on the ground from the saddle. Cruisers aren't for fast riding either. So if you want to ride fast, they aren't for you.
I was thinking that a cruiser would be perfect.
Old 12-11-22, 02:22 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked 4,860 Times in 3,006 Posts
Originally Posted by LocalLoser
i would just be riding around on street with a friend i haven't touched a bike in years so if anyone need more info just ask
What's your budget for this? Given the total lack of info I would head to your local bike shop and talk to the guys there.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 12-11-22, 02:43 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
What's your budget for this? Given the total lack of info I would head to your local bike shop and talk to the guys there.
Probably the best idea.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-11-22, 04:14 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
My wife, a former touring cyclist, only rides around the neighborhood now, and rides a 5 speed cruiser from the 90's. Works perfect for her needs and it is easy to maintain. I clean the bike once a year, lube the chain twice a season, and repack the hubs about every 5 years just for the practice. Probably only sees about 300 miles a year.

Has a big seat, sits totally upright and is easy on her wrists, hands, neck, shoulders, and everything else. I converted a 90's era Miyata mountain bike into a cruiser for her. You should be able to find an older Schwinn 5 speed cruiser on craigslist or marketplace. One pops up on craigslist where I live a few times every summer.

FWIW, I ride my 5 speed cruiser along side her whenever she rides. It is totally chill, and very pleasant to just putt around the hood. Happens to be very social for us as well as everyone knows us by sight at least, many even know our names, and some let us crash their parties! When the weather is good, people are out and friendly.