Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Friction shifters and barrel adjusters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-23, 10:50 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts

I recently installed a Friction bar end shifter for my front triple derailleur and shifting is working fine but was curious to know, do you feel there is any added benefit for installing an inline barrel shifter as well (no braze ons for standard barrel adjuster) ? In other words, is fine tuning cable tension important with a front friction shifter ? As always, thank you for your input.
Old 01-17-23, 11:20 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Assuming you pulled most of the slack out of the cable and tightened the fastening bolt adequately when you installed the shifter, there is no need for a barrel adjuster with friction shifting. I have four bikes, all with friction front shifting and triple cranks. I've never used the barrel adjusters for anything but cable housing stops.
Old 01-17-23, 01:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
I have had a few inline barrel shifters in my tool box for years. The only bike I have needed one on is using a vintage Campy Rally derailleur. I would say buy a few and keep them in the box till ya need um...
Old 01-17-23, 01:29 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
I'll second the above. FD shifting when friction is pretty darn simple. You need a slack enough cable that the FD can relax completely for downshifts. (And you hardly need a barrel adjust to ensure slack.) Nice if there isn't more slack so you don't have to lift to start the shift but if you do, so what? (Well, things get a little more critical with old, large cable pull FDs, small barreled shifters with little pull and triple cranksets. Lever might fold all the way back and still not lift the chain onto the big ring.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-17-23, 01:31 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Assuming you pulled most of the slack out of the cable and tightened the fastening bolt adequately when you installed the shifter, there is no need for a barrel adjuster with friction shifting.
True, no need, but it does help make initial setup a little easier - make it a little too loose when you attach the cable and then tweak with the adjuster.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 01-19-23, 06:59 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
True, no need, but it does help make initial setup a little easier - make it a little too loose when you attach the cable and then tweak with the adjuster.
I was going to suggest this as well -- it may be useful to fine-tune cable slack at the fully relaxed end...but indeed not necessary.
Old 01-19-23, 07:15 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Bike racers who competed during the era when down-tube shifters were the only game in town would sometimes deliberately leave the front derailleur cable with a good amount of slack. That meant that the front derailleur would shift the chain to the inner ring well before the left lever reached its forward limit. The benefit was that the lever was positioned in easy reach of the right thumb for quick and easy one-handed shifts of both derailleurs.

[Edit:] Just reread the OP and realized that the question has to do with bar-end shifters. Never mind!

Last edited by Trakhak; 01-19-23 at 07:21 AM.