Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What Have You Learned From Touring The World?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What Have You Learned From Touring The World?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 11:27 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
New England tourer here. Most people I meet are genuinely nice. Once I get out of MA. ( At least the suburbs) I ride all over, people always ask where my car is, lots of times checking into campsites. They are always asking for my car plate #'s . I try to be clear, doesn't always work." I have traveled by bike, this is my only means of transportation" Gets funny after that. Most people camping are nice, never had any issues, and usually generous with food. The best thing about touring and bike packing? The pace of life, taking in the sights and sounds. And smells. Fresh cut hay, bacon cooking from a diner, a bbq, roasting coffee, ripe peaches in an orchard. Riders seems to be very approachable on bikes. Great for starting conversations. Cheers.
Old 01-16-18, 04:00 PM
TallTourist

Bikes: Vivente Deccan XXXL Slightly modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
coal rolling is when a diesel pickup truck by means that i dont understand makes a huge cloud of soot, preferably engulfing the cyclist. i dont know how they do it but this driver thought he was really funny when he did it to me.
Wow, that's the kind of driving that gets a guy a rock in the windshield, haha. I can't believe one guy was dumb enough to come back twice! You definitely have more restraint than me. I'd have had a surprise for him on round two.

FWIW I think that exhaust, if I remember correctly, is partially burned diesel from when too much fuel is introduced into the cylinders before the air volume is increased. Not good stuff to breathe in, that's for sure :/
Old 01-16-18, 04:08 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
This got me thinking. We (wife) documented most of these in our blog. This is off the top of my head:

- A couple pulled over to help us when we were stuck on the side of the road (happen to be a freeway). While they had no tools, they provided chocolate bars. Coincidentally, it was my wife's birthday.
- On another tour, we got into a conversation with a person at the next table. When he learned where we were headed, he insisted (demanded) that he take us past the location where a touring cyclist was hit by a car and killed. He loaded our bikes into his pick-up and he took us several miles down the road. A motivating factor for his insistence is that he had lunch with the cyclist the day he was killed.
- We had a nice conversation with a man at a convenience store during a rest stop. Shortly after leaving the store, a car pulls a bit in front of us and the same man gets out of the car. He really wanted us to enjoy our tour. He insisted we take $20 to make our tour better
- In a couple of incidences during storms: 1) the employees at a convenience store set up a floor heater in the back and let us dry out. 2) Drivers pulled off the road and asked us if we wanted to load our bikes on the back of the pick-up to get out of a terrible storm.
- On at least two occasions, strangers were so impressed with our tour, they bought us lunch.
- When my wife had an accident, a ton of amazing stuff happen. A stranger took her to the hospital because the ambulance took a long time. During the same incident, a group of recreation cyclists watched all our stuff and made sure it found its way to the local police station. Then our WS hosts picked us up (about 45 minutes one way by car from their house to the hospital) and allowed us to stay for one additional recovery day)
- On several occasions, bike shops went out of their way to get us on the road. Typically moving us first in the repair line.
- I bent a rim in a sewer grate. Some local guys volunteered to help by beating it with a rubber mallet but it did not work. We were sitting on a town bench trying to figure out our next steps. We knew the bike shop was about 25 miles behind us. At about that time, a couple walked by and asked if we were OK. We told them the story and the man said, I am really tired of shopping. Would you like a ride back to the bike store? I called the bike store and he said it would take a while but he would try to help. At that point, I thought I would get to the bike store and hitch back to the town. But, the bike store found a suitable wheel. My ride waited and we were back on our way.

This was a great walk down memory lane. And, there is still more but a good time to stop.
Wow the story about the cyclist who was killed and the guy who had lunch with him is especially poignant. There are some unbelievably dangerous roads out there and some really rubbish drivers.

I'm glad you've had such good experiences, though Really makes me keen on doing more touring!
Old 01-16-18, 04:12 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TulsaJohn
I have found that in my worldwide travels (~45 countries) that people are generally nice, curious about others, and basically just want to live life in peace. Vast majority just want to raise their family/live in health and safety and without fear, earn a living, have peace, enjoy life with their neighbors/fellow citizens, and not be hassled by their governments. To me, it is the government leaders and/or policies that GENERALLY (not always) cause the international problems, not groups of people or individuals (except government leaders).

I have also found that almost universally, people think their regional/border neighbors are worse than they are, i.e. be wary of the New Yorkers (if from the plains) or the Southerners if from anywhere else. Guatemalans say to be cautious of the Mexicans (and vice versus), etc. I don't think I have ever found a particular region to live up to its bad reputation, except may Pedro San Sula, Honduras (even the locals said it was pretty bad) a few years ago.
Lol so true about the opinions of neighboring regions. That's part of why I ignored advice about Venezuela until I started watching the local news. I'm going to try and skip Honduras too. I've never heard anything good about it but haven't heard back from the ferry company that supposedly exists that skips people over to El Salvador from Nicaragua...praying to the touring gods hehe.
Old 01-17-18, 03:22 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by TallTourist
I'm going to try and skip Honduras too. I've never heard anything good about it...
For what it is worth, Honduras was probably my favorite Central American country in my recent travels. Some of this had to do with the routing (stayed higher and hence cooler than my routes through Panama and Costa Rica), some had to do with being just slightly less hectic than Guatemala (perhaps also some routing). However, overall, reasonable smaller roads and friendly people.

I posted a longer reply to this string about some of my learnings...and included links to my "reflections/retrospectives" I had done for five of my longer tours. Apparently, that caused it to be marked as spam so I won't do that again...

Here for example was the one for Russia: ********************?, epilogue to the trip ? Amsterdam to Vladivostok

Here was the one for Africa: https://www.bike2013.com/2013/05/14/c...g-on-the-trip/

Here were the Americas: https://www.scc2ush.com/2017/12/23/sc...lections-trip/

Last edited by mev; 01-17-18 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-17-18, 04:03 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
For what it is worth, Honduras was probably my favorite Central American country in my recent travels. Some of this had to do with the routing (stayed higher and hence cooler than my routes through Panama and Costa Rica), some had to do with being just slightly less hectic than Guatemala (perhaps also some routing). However, overall, reasonable smaller roads and friendly people.

I posted a longer reply to this string about some of my learnings...and included links to my "reflections/retrospectives" I had done for five of my longer tours. Apparently, that caused it to be marked as spam so I won't do that again...

Here for example was the one for Russia: ********************?, epilogue to the trip ? Amsterdam to Vladivostok

Here was the one for Africa: Cape Town Rest days, a few notes/tips reflecting on the trip | A bicycle ride across Africa

Here were the Americas: SCC to USH, reflections from the trip - A bicycle ride across the Americas
Interesting perspectives there.

I'd love to do more backroad riding but 'm currently running 35-622 tires and a really crummy saddle. My last backroad experience was rather painful. Maybe once I can get fatter tires and a Brooks saddle I will get more adventurous
Old 01-18-18, 10:10 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Wow, that's the kind of driving that gets a guy a rock in the windshield, haha. I can't believe one guy was dumb enough to come back twice! You definitely have more restraint than me. I'd have had a surprise for him on round two.

FWIW I think that exhaust, if I remember correctly, is partially burned diesel from when too much fuel is introduced into the cylinders before the air volume is increased. Not good stuff to breathe in, that's for sure :/
The same redneck rolling coal might have some protection as well. FYI.
Old 01-18-18, 10:25 AM
Leebo

Interesting perspectives there.

I'd love to do more backroad riding but 'm currently running 35-622 tires and a really crummy saddle. My last backroad experience was rather painful. Maybe once I can get fatter tires and a Brooks saddle I will get more adventurous
There's a reason why a 29er with say 2.3 to 3.0" tires are great for touring and mixed use bikepacking. All day comfort on different surfaces.
Old 01-18-18, 01:38 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
The same redneck rolling coal might have some protection as well. FYI.
Sure, but that's no reason not to stand up to a bully IMO. I liken it to this: if there's a dog that weighs 5 lbs and someone wants to tease it or whatever but the dog is vicious and bites its tormentor, what do you think is the most likely outcome? Probably the person bothering the dog will respect it (if only begrudgingly) and leave it alone.

When in your life have you stood up to a bully and had it turn out worse? For me, never. And I've had a lot of people try to scare me or aggravate me. Ironically we usually end up being buddies (if I see them regularly) after whatever needs to happen happens or I can sense a begrudging respect; it's exactly like dealing with highschool bullies...really quite comical.

YMMV obviously but my attitude has gotten me out of a ton of dodgy situations.

I guess if that fails you can always stop and brew up a coffee beside a telephone pole...good luck running someone over then, haha.

Last edited by TallTourist; 01-18-18 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 01:51 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
There's a reason why a 29er with say 2.3 to 3.0" tires are great for touring and mixed use bikepacking. All day comfort on different surfaces.
Yeah...the manufacturer for my bike says the max tire size I can use is 50-622 so hopefully that's good enough. I'm sure the Brooks Imperial I ordered will be a huge help too.
Old 01-24-18, 09:48 PM
Connell
Wheezy Rider

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After touring and traveling for several decades, I've learned that those who have the least, tend to be the most generous, while the more people have, the less willing they are to share. A sweeping generalization, yes, but I've seen it in practice too many times to count.
Old 01-25-18, 01:39 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
On traveling the world...

Old 01-27-18, 02:44 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Sure, but that's no reason not to stand up to a bully IMO. I liken it to this: if there's a dog that weighs 5 lbs and someone wants to tease it or whatever but the dog is vicious and bites its tormentor, what do you think is the most likely outcome? Probably the person bothering the dog will respect it (if only begrudgingly) and leave it alone.

When in your life have you stood up to a bully and had it turn out worse? For me, never. And I've had a lot of people try to scare me or aggravate me. Ironically we usually end up being buddies (if I see them regularly) after whatever needs to happen happens or I can sense a begrudging respect; it's exactly like dealing with highschool bullies...really quite comical.

YMMV obviously but my attitude has gotten me out of a ton of dodgy situations.

I guess if that fails you can always stop and brew up a coffee beside a telephone pole...good luck running someone over then, haha.
This reminds me of the day I found a voice. 6th grade. Every day walking home from school this kid picked on me and as I was taught, I dutifully ignored it and quickened my pace. Then my oldest brother told me to challenge him, and I did. The kid backed down and never bothered me again. Never have I backed down since. Of course you must be wise enough to pick the battle, too. 6000 pound SUV's win every time.

Years later this kid was on the front page news headed for jail. Dealing dope. What an idiot.
Old 01-27-18, 05:56 PM
TallTourist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This reminds me of the day I found a voice. 6th grade. Every day walking home from school this kid picked on me and as I was taught, I dutifully ignored it and quickened my pace. Then my oldest brother told me to challenge him, and I did. The kid backed down and never bothered me again. Never have I backed down since. Of course you must be wise enough to pick the battle, too. 6000 pound SUV's win every time.

Years later this kid was on the front page news headed for jail. Dealing dope. What an idiot.
Haha classic.
Old 01-30-18, 06:27 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
One more thing about the dope dealing dope. About 15 years later I found him on a morning radio show hawking his "financial" services. Yeah, it surprised me, too!