Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Difference between Park CN-1 & CN-10

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-23, 06:38 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts

I have some older tools (been riding for 45 years). While I was looking for some tools on the Park website, I noticed my old but decent cable cutters (Model CN-1) have been replaced by Model CN-10. Can anyone knowledgeably tell me difference between the two models? Thanks!
Old 04-16-23, 08:47 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
The cn-10 have been around for quite a while, its the one I started using 25 years ago. The back part has a built in crimper for the cable caps while the handles are longer to make cutting der and compressionless brake housings easier, both can be difficult with shorter handles. Personally, I found the crimper annoying to try and use and just use a pair of pliers, I also found the cn-10 to be on the heavier and chunky side. For the same price I'd buy Knipex, but went instead for a Hit made one from Japan. They look similar to the pedros model but unlike the pedros and other cheaper versions the handles don't contact each other pinching the hand when you have to squeeze hard. Either way, they're all just forms of cable rope cutters.
Old 04-16-23, 10:58 PM
John N

Bikes: Co-Motion Americano Pinion P18; Co-Motion Americano Rohloff; Thorn Nomad MkII, Robert Beckman Skakkit (FOR SALE), Santana Tandem, ICE Adventure FS

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
The cn-10 have been around for quite a while, its the one I started using 25 years ago. The back part has a built in crimper for the cable caps while the handles are longer to make cutting der and compressionless brake housings easier, both can be difficult with shorter handles. Personally, I found the crimper annoying to try and use and just use a pair of pliers, I also found the cn-10 to be on the heavier and chunky side. For the same price I'd buy Knipex, but went instead for a Hit made one from Japan. They look similar to the pedros model but unlike the pedros and other cheaper versions the handles don't contact each other pinching the hand when you have to squeeze hard. Either way, they're all just forms of cable rope cutters.
Russ, thanks for the info on the various cable rope cutters. However, I am trying to find out the difference between the CN-1 and the CN-10. Reason I am asking is that the CN-1 does not cut the housing entirely in half but only about 80% so I have to try to cut the uncut part and it results in a crimped end making it a PIA to deal with. I don't know if housing as gotten larger or what but I did not have this problem in the past. The CN-1 I have has little use (less than 25 times over the years). It cuts cables fine, just not the housing. Thoughts/comments???
Old 04-16-23, 11:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4360 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
These are ones I would recommend for the task. Park is OK stuff and I know you want a comparison but in the end get the better tool for the job. Keep the CN-1s you have but I wouldn't personally get the new Park ones unless you are on a big budget and have other tool needs that are more important.

I have the top two but Felco was one I agonized over vs Knipex both are excellent both are highly reviewed but zee Germans won out
https://jagwire.com/products/tools/pro-housing-cutter (the awl is actually quite nice and the below options don't have it)

https://www.knipex.com/products/cabl...forged/9561190

https://felco.com/en_us/products/cable-cutters/felco-c7
Old 04-17-23, 08:59 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by John N
Russ, thanks for the info on the various cable rope cutters. However, I am trying to find out the difference between the CN-1 and the CN-10. Reason I am asking is that the CN-1 does not cut the housing entirely in half but only about 80% so I have to try to cut the uncut part and it results in a crimped end making it a PIA to deal with. I don't know if housing as gotten larger or what but I did not have this problem in the past. The CN-1 I have has little use (less than 25 times over the years). It cuts cables fine, just not the housing. Thoughts/comments???
the CN-10 will not have that trouble, I can't remember using the cn1, but the cn10 has not had trouble cutting through any housing in a single snip, all of the compressionless housings will still require some strength to snip though.
Old 04-17-23, 10:32 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts

...I had to look on e-bay for a picture of the CN-1. I have never used one, but if yours no longer cuts all the way through housing, there's something wrong with it.
It's designed as a lower cost alternative, but with the same v shaped, bypass jaws that other wire cutters use to cut cables.

If you really don't use a cable cutter very much, It's possible you can get yours working better by tightening up the hinge bolt. There can't be any play in it.

But given your usage patterns, if you want to replace it, the people at Pedro's have a relatively good quality alternative. Not as good as Felco or Knipex, but still more than adequate for sporadic use.
There are a lot of alternatives linked to that Amazon page, that are far better cutters than your old Park CN 1. A cable cutter that leaves raggedy ends is useless.
Old 04-17-23, 11:01 AM
John N

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
the CN-10 will not have that trouble, I can't remember using the cn1, but the cn10 has not had trouble cutting through any housing in a single snip, all of the compressionless housings will still require some strength to snip though.
Thanks, that is what I need to know.