Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Perfectly Symetrical Brake Lever Alignment... How?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 04:09 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts

Despite all the hubbub about the UCI planning to ban riders from having their brake hoods pointed inward, I've been riding with my hoods angled slightly inwards for two years now and love it. (And I don't race, so UCI's decision doesn't impact me.) However, every time I get on my bike, I swear that one lever is angled in slightly more than the other and that makes me bonkers.

Have any of you found a way to ensure perfectly symmetrical alignment of both levers other than the "eyeball it" method I've been using?

Making sure both levers are mounted at the same height on the bars and the same angle inwards has so far proven to be a task my puny brain can't handle. YouTuber "Rides of Japan" has the same burning desire for perfection as I do and he
... however, I think his video came out before angling brake hoods inward became a thing. Thus, his video doesn't address perfectly aligning the angle of each lever... his are straight forward.

My "eyeballed" inward levers...

********* Solution Found **********

YouTuber GC Performance created the following video showing the tool he uses for perfect brake hood alignment. Me likey...

Last edited by PoorInRichfield; 01-01-24 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-21-23, 04:53 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
One of my arms is slightly longer than the other, and one of my hands is slightly larger than the other.... and I have a girlfriend...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 12-21-23, 04:56 PM
bboy314

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 748 Times in 389 Posts
I don’t sweat it that much because my body isn’t perfectly symmetrical.
Old 12-21-23, 05:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4211 Post(s)
Liked 3,881 Times in 2,316 Posts
Seems to me as a question that can be answered by the OP trying to realign one lever to match the other, trial and error like. Andy
Old 12-21-23, 05:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
https://www.abbeybiketools.com/products/lever-setter

With the Abbey adapter, a derailleur hanger alignment tool, and a protractor, you could probably satisfy your need with data-verified symmetry. There are probably cheaper ways to accomplish the same thing.

Last edited by Eric F; 12-21-23 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 12-21-23, 06:14 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1949 Post(s)
Liked 1,474 Times in 1,021 Posts
I empathize with the OP because I also have mad OCD. So:

(1) To mount both STI levers at the same height, I stretch a ribbon (a) between the ramps of the handlebar and (b) resting against both STI lever band clamps, and I eyeball the ribbon to make sure it is perfectly parallel to the top of the handlebar.

(2) To mount both STI levers at the same rotational angle, I measure the distance from the brake lever pivot of each STI lever to a point at the transition between the top and the ramp on the opposite side of the handlebar.

Because of my mad OCD, my eyeballing is pretty precise. But before I install the bar tape, I ride slowly around my community to make sure that both STI levers feel the same to me. Now of course it goes without saying that all of the above first requires the handlebar to be perfectly centered relative to the stem, and for the stem to be perfectly aligned with the front wheel.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 12-21-23 at 06:26 PM.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 12-21-23, 06:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Looks like you could lay a ruler along the outside of the handlebar and just look to see if the tops of the hoods are equal distances in. (I have enough astigmatism that I can make either hood look further in. I can also straighten them or tilt them in more. Barely have to move my head.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-21-23, 06:55 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Looks like you could lay a ruler along the outside of the handlebar and just look to see if the tops of the hoods are equal distances in. (I have enough astigmatism that I can make either hood look further in. I can also straighten them or tilt them in more. Barely have to move my head.)
Would you like a recommendation for a good optometrist?
Likes For MikeWMass:
Old 12-21-23, 08:38 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 491 Posts
With flared bars becoming more common, even on the road, I don’t know how to avoid an inward pointing lever.

Is parallel with the lowest straight line of a handlebar adequate?

As for OCD. Occasionally marked bars are marked wrong. You really need to measure, both the middle of the bar and a spot somewhere on the curve to mark yourself, before the handlebar is even on your bike.

Theres a zillion different ways to measure a bar, probably a flexible sewing type measuring tape is the easiest.
Old 12-21-23, 08:39 PM
Biker Pete 

Bikes: Kestrel Legend SL, Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Hold a coffee table size book against the outside edge of the drop, then measure from the surface of the book to the hood.
Old 12-21-23, 08:44 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 1,567 Times in 1,029 Posts
Before the tape goes on, place zero on a ruler where it touches the bar under the lever clamp on the left and measure to whatever point it touches on the junction of lever and hood on the right lever. Than check the other lever the same way. Measuring in an X shape like this very accurate.

Make sure the lever height is equal, first.
Old 12-21-23, 10:40 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
​​​​​​https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Di...828H/206007135

​​​​​​https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...8aAojiEALw_wcB
Likes For dedhed:
Old 12-22-23, 12:44 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,592 Times in 1,436 Posts
First of all it doesn't matter since you're not perfectly symmetrical, and your hands will tell you if they're unhappy.

But since you seem to care, here's how.

Fit one lever. Take piece of cardboard and make a template. Use that to duplicate the angle on the other side.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 12-22-23, 04:57 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
...I also have mad OCD.
CDO. So much better when it's in alpha order, don't ya think? 😜

Last edited by BTinNYC; 12-22-23 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 09:13 AM
Steel Charlie

Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
CDO. So much better when it's in alpha order, don't ya think? ;p
The Way It's Supposed To Be ! !
Old 12-22-23, 12:09 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Making sure both levers are mounted at the same height on the bars and the same angle inwards has so far proven to be a task my puny brain can't handle. YouTuber "Rides of Japan" has the same burning desire for perfection as I do and he created a video that almost resolved my issue...
I use as level. I'll mark the handlebar where I want to put it and then judge if it seems fine. With the bike in a stand, I'll get the bar tops level in the stand and then use the level across the hoods. I'm sure it is not perfect, but as has been mentioned your arms will let you know if the position is not comfortable. That and I really doubt that the right and left arm lengths are the same within standard manufacturing tolerances.

John
Old 12-22-23, 12:47 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
I can’t get them even and it drives me nuts. The flared bars on my CX bike are even more difficult…

These bikes are precisely put together except for the contact points. Round seat tube, no way to really line them up properly. Handlebar/stem connection is eyeballed, even with the little tick marks. Stem alignment is eyeballed. Brake hoods eyeballed…

I really struggle getting the stem aligned with the front wheel, my eyes don’t see straight enough. A simple key way would make this easier.
Old 12-22-23, 12:59 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
I can’t get them even and it drives me nuts. The flared bars on my CX bike are even more difficult…

These bikes are precisely put together except for the contact points. Round seat tube, no way to really line them up properly. Handlebar/stem connection is eyeballed, even with the little tick marks. Stem alignment is eyeballed. Brake hoods eyeballed…

I really struggle getting the stem aligned with the front wheel, my eyes don’t see straight enough. A simple key way would make this easier.
Two tricks to make that much easier - longer stems and quill stems. I have a threadless 12cm. It's tough to judge. Now, my 175 quill is a piece of cake. (And if that solution works for you, my sympathies. Long sleeve shirts that fit are my lifelong struggle.)

Edit: on topic - for years I rode with twice the inward tilt to my right lever. Then I made a big change and symmetrical tilts worked. The change? My 4th collarbone break. Finally got my shoulders back to symmetrical. TG I got through those many years without OCD issues.

Last edited by 79pmooney; 12-22-23 at 01:04 PM.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-22-23, 02:07 PM
flanso 

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
For height, tie the front wheel to the down tube so the wheel points straight ahead. Place a spirit level across the tops of the hoods to set the height. For the angle, open the Measure app on your iPhone and select level. Place the phone against your brake levers in exactly the same place on each lever. Adjust one lever to match the iPhone reading on the other. Perhaps there is a similar app for Android phones.
Likes For flanso:
Old 12-22-23, 04:38 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
Despite all the hubbub about the UCI planning to ban riders from having their brake hoods pointed inward, I've been riding with my hoods angled slightly inwards for two years now and love it. (And I don't race, so UCI's decision doesn't impact me.) However, every time I get on my bike, I swear that one lever is angled in slightly more than the other and that makes me bonkers.

Have any of you found a way to ensure perfectly symmetrical alignment of both levers other than the "eyeball it" method I've been using?
I've only ever done it by eye, but I'm losing my touch so I may have to adopt another method, like ...
Set the bike upright using a digital level, then use a straight edge with the level to check the levers are at the same height. Measure from each lever lower tip to the end of the opposite handlebar to check for equal rotation.
Old 12-22-23, 05:25 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Don't use both eyes; use just your dominant eye.
Old 12-22-23, 06:12 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 773 Times in 404 Posts
neither of my eyes aim straight.
Old 12-22-23, 06:18 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

neither of my eyes aim straight.
So I suppose a career as a pool shark is out of the question for you?
Old 12-22-23, 08:09 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,921 Posts
you could try laying this on top of the bar. Affix one swing arm & swing the other one to obtain the measurement... I'd go with the 10" Protractor.
the left lever/hood is pointed inward more than the right side.
Old 12-23-23, 06:33 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
I think I usually use both eyes when checking bike alignment, just like Chris Kyle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.