Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

6 speed freewheel on a modern 8-11 speed rated wheel?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-24, 10:43 AM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts

I have an older Trek 400 that fits wider tires nicely. When I bought it for $15 it had a 6 speed, I assume freewheel. I like the indexed 6 speed down tube shifter and with a triple front it has plenty of range for me. I would like to purchase a new set of wheels or even a used set for it like these. https://velomine.com/products/alex-d...pr_seq=uniform

Can I put a 6 speed freewheel or even 6 speed cassette on these to work with my 6 speed down tube shifter? It does have 130mm spacing. I have confirmed by measuring and mounting a set of wheels with a 9 speed cassette.

If I need a special or different wheel for the 6 speed set up, I may just change shifters and go 9 or 10.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-24, 10:52 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,928 Times in 1,493 Posts
Well first off is your 400 Suntour or Shimano equipped? If you have Suntour you made to upgrade everything. If you have Shimano you may be able to use a newer wheelset with a 7spd cassette and 4.5mm spacer in back. Then just get a 7spd shifter.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-24-24, 10:59 AM
RH Clark

It's Shimano. Will I need a completely different hub body on a wheel for a 6 speed freewheel, than comes on a wheel for an 8-11 speed? Can an 8-11 be adapted in any way to fit a 6 speed freewheel?
Old 03-24-24, 11:29 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by RH Clark
It's Shimano. Will I need a completely different hub body on a wheel for a 6 speed freewheel, than comes on a wheel for an 8-11 speed? Can an 8-11 be adapted in any way to fit a 6 speed freewheel?
Technically what you propose is possible with enough spacers and possibly modifying a cassette, but as a practical matter it would be much easier (and minimally expensive) to change to a 7-sp (or greater) indexed shifter and get a cassette to match.
Likes For lasauge:
Old 03-24-24, 11:43 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Depending on year the 400 frame may also already be spaced at 128mm to easily accommodate a 130mm hub. My 1987 and 1991 were.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-24-24, 11:56 AM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by lasauge
Technically what you propose is possible with enough spacers and possibly modifying a cassette, but as a practical matter it would be much easier (and minimally expensive) to change to a 7-sp (or greater) indexed shifter and get a cassette to match.
The wheels I linked say 8-11 so I guess it's at least an 8 I need. I don't suppose anyone makes new indexed downtube shifters in 8-9 speed? I'm not locked into downtube shifting. Any suggestions for good inexpensive shifters?
Old 03-24-24, 12:23 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
The wheels I linked say 8-11 so I guess it's at least an 8 I need. I don't suppose anyone makes new indexed downtube shifters in 8-9 speed? I'm not locked into downtube shifting. Any suggestions for good inexpensive shifters?
Microshift sells their bar end shifters set up for downtuube use in 8, 9 and 10 speed.

However, 7 speed new cassettes are available that fit on a 8-11 freehub body, and old Shimano 7 speed downtube shifters are super common. AND, many of those 7 speed shifters will work with 8 speed cassettes decently because there is usually enough extra room at the end of the clicks for a "friction 8" that indexes well enough. This would be by far the cheapest and simplest solution, using either a new 7 speed or 8 speed cassette. Those are the cheapest cassettes and cheapest chains.

I don't think those wheels are the best value out there. I've seen as nice for less from local shops. And then there's the used market.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 03-24-24, 12:48 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Kontact
Microshift sells their bar end shifters set up for downtuube use in 8, 9 and 10 speed.

However, 7 speed new cassettes are available that fit on a 8-11 freehub body, and old Shimano 7 speed downtube shifters are super common. AND, many of those 7 speed shifters will work with 8 speed cassettes decently because there is usually enough extra room at the end of the clicks for a "friction 8" that indexes well enough. This would be by far the cheapest and simplest solution, using either a new 7 speed or 8 speed cassette. Those are the cheapest cassettes and cheapest chains.

I don't think those wheels are the best value out there. I've seen as nice for less from local shops. And then there's the used market.
Thanks for the explanation. That sounds like the way to go. I might have found a set of used marketplace wheels. It's still an hour drive but they are Shimano and only $50. I've found one set of 700c wheels for sale close to me in the last 5 years. I bought them and set up a Trek 560 as 9 speed rear friction downtube.

Would Ebay be the best place to buy some 7 speed Shimano indexed shifters? I had forgotten about Micro shift. That's a consideration. I could get some friction downtube shifters from Rivendale bikes ,but I kind of wanted to go indexed on this one. This frame easily fits 32mm tires and maybe a bit wider. It's a lugged True Temper frame. I got it for $15 at a thrift store and polished it up. I've done hundreds of miles on it in its original condition. I'm going to rebuild the BB and turn it into a cyclocross style bike though I don't race or anything. The wider tires just make it a more all arounder. I ride several ranges of tire widths on several style bikes and this type bike sort of hits a sweet spot for me where it does 99% of what I do on a bike pretty well.
Old 03-24-24, 01:00 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
If you like the indexed 6 speed shifting you have (pls note original post above), then just buy any 105 or lower level cassette containing the six cogs you want, and use a 4.5mm spacer on the back and appropriate width spacers (3.5mm) in between each of the six cogs used. Works a charm, no need to go 7 speed unless you want to.
Old 03-24-24, 01:09 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by rccardr
If you like the indexed 6 speed shifting you have (pls note original post above), then just buy any 105 or lower level cassette containing the six cogs you want, and use a 4.5mm spacer on the back and appropriate width spacers (3.5mm) in between each of the six cogs used. Works a charm, no need to go 7 speed unless you want to.
Thanks very much for that info. That is the way you have set up a 6 speed on a modern 8-11 speed hub like on the wheels I linked originally?
Old 03-24-24, 01:12 PM
RH Clark

Kontact
You mentioned other possibly better value wheels. Any links would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-24-24, 01:17 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,406 Times in 1,206 Posts
Thanks very much for that info. That is the way you have set up a 6 speed on a modern 8-11 speed hub like on the wheels I linked originally?
Yep. That’s how I set up my 78 Richard Sachs. Shifted perfectly.
Old 03-24-24, 01:30 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
Kontact
You mentioned other possibly better value wheels. Any links would be greatly appreciated.
I'm thinking of a local bike shop, not online.
Likes For Kontact: