Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What was the best production year for Schwinn, bar none, for bike desirability?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What was the best production year for Schwinn, bar none, for bike desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 12:03 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
All this warm and fuzzy for the late 80s is a surprise to me. I'm not a Schwinn devotee by any means, but the impression I've gotten from years of participation in this forum is (or was) that there's a high regard for the "classic" Paramount from the 60s and 70s. Maybe I generally skip Tempo/Circuit/Prologue/Waterford discussions because a) the paint/decal schemes don't move me, and b) neither do 80s bikes generally with their lack of regional diversity and character; everyone trying to make a short wheelbase/no fenders Italian racer.
Old 06-25-18, 01:15 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked 4,992 Times in 1,777 Posts
Originally Posted by Charles Wahl
All this warm and fuzzy for the late 80s is a surprise to me. I'm not a Schwinn devotee by any means, but the impression I've gotten from years of participation in this forum is (or was) that there's a high regard for the "classic" Paramount from the 60s and 70s. Maybe I generally skip Tempo/Circuit/Prologue/Waterford discussions because a) the paint/decal schemes don't move me, and b) neither do 80s bikes generally with their lack of regional diversity and character; everyone trying to make a short wheelbase/no fenders Italian racer.
You've been cheating yourself. If you enjoy a fast, responsive bike under give one a try!

Old 06-25-18, 01:20 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I've never been a big fan of Schwinns either, but I think that blue one in post number 19 is simply awesome!

Last edited by Grand Bois; 06-25-18 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 02:13 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Oh, I don't have a problem with fast, responsive bikes. Been there a bit, and appreciate them. But the photo exemplifies my feelings pretty well.
Originally Posted by jamesdak
You've been cheating yourself. If you enjoy a fast, responsive bike under give one a try!

Old 06-25-18, 10:35 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
A worked at a dealer in that era and still maintain "Flamingo Caliente" is among the coolest names for a bike ever.
<fake Euro accent>
But I must have a Flamingo Superior!
</fake Euro accent>

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 06-25-18, 11:22 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
If speed and performance = desirability, then I'd say late-'80s, particularly 1989 Schwinn is the golden year. Paramounts were golden, as always. This would be the final year of the epic three-year-sub-Paramount reign of the Tange Prestige-tubed Prolouge. Klein-like (design partner, right?) Schwinn aluminum frames (that font!!). Legacy-of-the-Peloton-lives-on with the Columbus SL-tubed Circuit. The Tenax-tubed Tempo finally got a 27.2mm seat post spec, so the tubing was certainly better than before. Captain America paint job for the Prelude. Everything else benefited from late-'80s index shifting from Shimano and (to a much smaller degree) Suntour. Geometry on these upper end Schwinns was very good and very proven, and nearly similar spec was spread across numerous models.

My experience is with a number of aforementioned examples. And below is my '87 Prologue, essentially the same as an '89 save for the year of manufacture. This is a bike you will never be disappointed in.

Old 06-26-18, 07:20 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

^ So love that paint scheme better than mine!
Old 06-26-18, 07:28 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Seems that most of these "desireable/performance" orienated schwinns were made in Japan.

I've always liked Panasonics.
Old 07-06-18, 10:52 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Yeah, it was basically Paramount then Pana-Schwinns then US-made Schwinns on that continuum, more or less. I'll take a Schwinn paint job and graphics scheme over a Panasonic, though. They have always looked better to me (but if anyone find a super-rad '80s/'90s Panasonic paint job, I'm happy to amend my statement!).
@jamesdak I contemplate going full Dark Side with this one and getting a 7900 Dura-Ace crankset and rear derailleur. I'm not hunting for grams, though the benefit would be noted nerd-style. Thankfully, regarding paint schemes, we ride that wonderful Prestige tubing instead of the paint job, and that's the reward. Is the red or white on your bike metallic at all? Schwinn had some suuuuuper fine metallic flake in some of their paint (like my '85 Peloton), and it always warms my heart to see it. Red/white still looks sharp, and I'd outfit a bike of that color scheme with all polished components, including polished deep-V rims just to 'throw it down' properly--I'm thinking H+Son SL42s.
Old 07-06-18, 11:34 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Seems that most of these "desireable/performance" orienated schwinns were made in Japan.

I've always liked Panasonics.
most? I guess you’d have to compare production numbers, but a lot of them were made in Greenville, MS.
Old 07-07-18, 06:14 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Yeah, it was basically Paramount then Pana-Schwinns then US-made Schwinns on that continuum, more or less. I'll take a Schwinn paint job and graphics scheme over a Panasonic, though. They have always looked better to me (but if anyone find a super-rad '80s/'90s Panasonic paint job, I'm happy to amend my statement!).
@jamesdak I contemplate going full Dark Side with this one and getting a 7900 Dura-Ace crankset and rear derailleur. I'm not hunting for grams, though the benefit would be noted nerd-style. Thankfully, regarding paint schemes, we ride that wonderful Prestige tubing instead of the paint job, and that's the reward. Is the red or white on your bike metallic at all? Schwinn had some suuuuuper fine metallic flake in some of their paint (like my '85 Peloton), and it always warms my heart to see it. Red/white still looks sharp, and I'd outfit a bike of that color scheme with all polished components, including polished deep-V rims just to 'throw it down' properly--I'm thinking H+Son SL42s.
It's tough to tell but the red has a shimmer to it, sort of like a bit of pearl or something in the sunlight. I don't notice anything in the white though.
Old 07-07-18, 06:33 PM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
I have a '70 Paramount P-13 and an '85 Peloton. Perfomance-wise, the Peloton, made by Panasonic, blows the Paramount away. But - do you consider that a Schwinn or a re-badged Panasonic? It's a Schwinn to me but YMMV.... Regardless, for raw mystique and presence, no contest for the Paramount. It is, after all, my Grail Bike. It comes to this: I have a lot of bikes, and luck has given me custody of many top-or-near-top-of-the-line models from various manufacturers and various years. Schwinn Paramount. Peugeot PX-10. Bottecchia Professional. Colnago Master. Motobecane Le Champion. Raleigh International. In the end, there is no definitive best, either model or year, that definition exists in the expectations and needs of the individual. From my perspective, each of mine is best for the intended purpose at a given moment.

Last edited by PilotFishBob; 07-07-18 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-07-18, 10:05 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

@jamesdak yeah, Schwinn has done that a lot where it's difficult to tell if it's a metallic or pearl effect in their paint. Regardless, it always looks nice, and adds to the desirability of the bike. Many companies will just have a gloss color, which looks fine, but it's not that extra level of effect. On my grey/black Prologue, the grey is more or less without metallic/pearl, but the black is very metallic.
@PilotFishBob I agree. As athletic as a '70s Paramount can be (my modernized P-15 touring included), a decade newer and a tighter wheelbase and lighter wheels and steeper geometry will certainly let the rider know of differences. And it's not that yours or my Paramounts are slouches--far from it! It's just that an '85 Peloton is a bit of a road race weapon with it's steeper geometry and lower trail. It's happy to putt about, and comfortable and trustworthy enough....but it has razor-sharp reflexes and thrives when your really accelerating or turning. I've been blessed to sample (and upgrade) various high-end models from a number of manufacturers, and I like the bikes for various reasons. Pretty much all of my nice/fun bikes have an obvious character trait that I appreciate, so it's hard to say "best" or similar. "Best All Around" is most likely my '74 Paramount P-15 (3x9 indexed downtube Dura-Ace with BLR650 calipers and Kool Stops) as it is quite fast, very comfortable with the longer wheelbase and B17 saddle, and geared for low end (28-32T combo) and top speed (53-11T combo). Fender mounts, too. "Best Fast Bike" goes to my Guerciotti with 2x10 Dura-Ace downtube shifting etc. I've had my '85 Peloton the longest of all my bikes, and though she isn't the most capable (compared to my other modern-component-equipped bikes) with her older (but nice!) 7400 pieces, she is very much at home with them and kicks butt.
Old 07-08-18, 08:39 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Growing up in that era, all the rich kids in the neighborhood had Krate bikes. They then moved on to Honda Minitrail 50s and 70s (also collectible).
While not being a rich kid I didn't have the crate (SS Roadmaster) I saved up until I could get the Honda 70 and put many hours on that. Still have the roadmaster, but wish I had the Honda
Old 07-08-18, 11:47 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
No answers are wrong. As Chris Rock once said, "Whatever kind of music was popular and playing on the radio when you lost your virginity--that's going to be your favorite music for the rest of your life."
It would be another decade for me thanks to the Army and other poor choices, but for me 1986.

My 86 Peloton isn't very impressive, but I adore this bike and it's my primary rider. It's chromed underneath the white paint and the rear triangle is black chrome!
Light? Nope, it's the Sherman tank of bikes. But that doesn't stop us from gliding past modern carbon bikes with motors much younger than this 32-year-old frame.
Old 07-09-18, 12:18 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
The handmade in Chicago 531 Paramounts.. ?
So ... that narrows it down to 1938 - 1980somthing, I think?
Old 07-09-18, 05:09 AM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman

So ... that narrows it down to 1938 - 1980somthing, I think?
Yep, since "Best" and "My Favorite" are the same....