Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Why are bicycle tires so expensive?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Why are bicycle tires so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-21, 05:26 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
I am not picky and generally don't spend more than $20/tire, and except for tubulars always get tires with a PRB. I really miss the original Nashbar but have good luck on Ebay.

As for cars, the value proposition of European cars is poor relative to those from Japan and Korea, from where I own 2 of each.
Old 04-22-21, 06:30 PM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I don’t buy cheap tires on my car or my bike.
+10 to that

Reeves Callaway said something like, "everything your car does goes through the tires, braking, accelerating, cornering steering." Same thing with a bike. High quality expensive tires have a magical ride. Cheap tires don't.
Likes For miamijim:
Old 04-22-21, 09:06 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I live in Rotterdam just outside the city center but still in an area where most buildings are 3-5 stories high. It's one of the more car-centric cities in the Netherlands but that has been changing in the past decades too.
Whenever I really need a car I will rent one but other than that I have a metro, tram, train station and plenty of cycle paths nearby to get me around the country. It's one of the more expensive places to own a car and I will need a permit to park a car around here. It just doesn't make sense.
Doesn't mean I don't like driving one though. But I will reserver that for vacations.

Now I'm curious, where did they go to? What were they frustrated about?
I think a lot of people that have never been to Europe underestimate the difference between distance and travel time, especially by car. And then we are even forgetting about parking.
They just stayed in Germany. But I think they tried to cram to much in with American expectations.
Europe is a big place. I like the bed and breakfasts that have a small pub/restaurant attached. I like seeing cultural things that might not be mainstream attractions. The Heidelberg castle dance floor that’s also the top of a giant wine vat. The original stone walls around a town. The village with the original stone church/fire station/city hall that’s the same building.

The stoned kids at U60311 were interesting in their own way.

And I like being served a fish in a restaurant that still has the head and tail attached! “Yep! I’m eating a fish!”
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-23-21, 02:20 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Every tire you can add without increasing shipping is cutting your S&H in half
Retailers rely on people getting the maths wrong.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 04-23-21, 02:46 PM
James1964 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 96 Posts
Because people keep buying them.
Old 04-23-21, 03:03 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by oneclick
Retailers rely on people getting the maths wrong.
MATHS. Mathematical Anti Telharsic Harfatum Septomin.

https://vimeo.com/77451201

Likes For francophile:
Old 04-23-21, 09:58 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
I'm listening to something else right now, so I played some of that ^^^^^^ video with the audio off. Looked like it came from the Monty Python and Benny Hill cutting rooms.

20 GOTO 10
Old 04-26-21, 06:51 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Good example of how to save with BTD. I don't think they're including my "Gold" membership here, if I logged in I suspect prices would drop another 10% or so. I automatically got the Gold membership after placing a couple of orders.

Basically, BTD is having a sale where buying more than 3 tires takes off 20 or 30%. Buy $150+ and shipping is free. I think there's an additional 20% coupon being stacked in here. Anyway, were I actually to follow through here (which I won't, only 1 Michelin left...) I could have tires as cheap as $10.50 and $14 respectively. Coupons and discounts stack sometimes, maybe not this time based on the red text, I dunno.

I usually end up finding out about these deals because they auto-inserted me into their mailing list after my 1st order. It comes at the consequence of a daily email, but the subjects are worthwhile, there's never more than 4-5 things highlighted in the body, it's a well-designed mailer so I don't find it as nuisanceful as many others.

Sometimes you need to pounce quickly ... other times, it can go on for days with lots of stock available. But if you were only ordering 2 tires, you might miss it. Order two pairs and you're in like flint, unlocking a big discount. It's technically true for any tires on their site for the next 12-24 hours I think?

Old 04-26-21, 08:16 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,716 Times in 2,613 Posts
Fwiw, I was pleasantly surprised by the Michelin Dynamic. I'd put it up there with the Pasela in ride quality, but it does cost a lot less these days, particularly if you can snag a deal as ^.
Old 04-26-21, 01:14 PM
Gold Country

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My 29+ tires on my ibis are around $100 each. I avoid sections of pavement at all costs.